shape
carat
color
clarity

A Hessian

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I was In the midst of preparing for the arrival of my new refrigerator. I moved the old one and found, as expected, that the hardwood floor under it was completely rotted. I tore that up to find the subfloor, wet and rotted. I tore that up and found a sub-subfloor, wet but not rotted. Then the doorbell rang. Post office, package you must sign for. So I went downstairs to collect my parcel; a 4 x 6 x 8 inch box. Back upstairs with some time to kill while the guts of the floor dried out, I tore into my parcel.
I had never seen a Hessonite garnet except online. From what I have garnered there they should be an odd mix of turbid and clear. What would normally be thought of as bad crystal as though the stone had captured the effect of visible heat waves rising from the desert ground. That being so, it is unlikely that an asscher cut would perform well in such a stone. Well I guess that would depend on what one means by "well". If a fine assscher has that windmill effect, this Hessian Asscher has the effect of a windmill that is spinning! A dizzying blur, the eight sided square form is knowable in the sum of the flashes.

hess1.jpg

hess2.jpg

hess3.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ok the PS image compression had grossly distorted the color in the photos so I have gone back into them and made adjustments in an attempt to compensate. These are the same three again, if it works great, if not I will just post them as they are. The stone is brilliantly orange, not brown, like a nice spess during an eclipse.

hess1b.jpg

hess2b.jpg

hess3b.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Those are really amazing photos, VL. What's the plan for this little fireball?

And what are you going to do with your rotting floor and subfloor? I have a mental image of your new refrigerator plummeting into the sub-basement.....

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very interesting. I love these unusual stones.

Did you cab those spinels from the parcel we shared? I don't remember seeing pictures.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ok well the refrigerator was just delivered which interrupted my posting.
To resume:

hess4b.jpg

hess5b.jpg

hess6b.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

hess7b.jpg

hess8.jpg

hess9.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
2.26 carat
6.93 x 6.88 x 5.67
From John at Gemrite

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pretty saturated and bright. From what I have read, hessonites range from reddish-orange to brownish-orange. Yours has some brownish but A LOT of orange in it and is very well-cut. Would look great in a ring! Congratulations!

When you started telling your story, for a second I thought that it will end with you finding a long-lost hessonite behind the refrigerator! :lol:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I love the silky look of that stone, especially with the closeup versions. How are you considering setting this stone in able to maximize this effect? I always love you esthetic!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting effects captured by the camera. I, too, was expecting to read about how you found something behind the refrigerator or similar. :naughty:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Of all the pictures I loaded, hess7b is the only one that even begins to come close to the true color, but it is more intense and smoldering.
As for the floor and the appliance, I will expand that in my refrigerator thread in hangout. Here I will just say that I did some mold remediation with bleach, stuffed the space with thyme (natures source of thymol, a fungicide) and rebuilt the subfloor and then the floor. But the Hessian visitation was a welcome interruption. Since the fridge was delivered as I started this thread, it is now here, in place and turned on! I will get some pictures of the Hessian in the sun later today! I think it is a ring stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Nice stone, unusual to see in that cut for definite!

Hessonites are one of my favourite garnets. Often what looks to be a spessartite turns out to be a Hess. once you take the RI as they can be really orange and also very red - I've also seen very pale examples which are pretty. The Sri Lankan's are very keen on them and you will see a lot of men wearing them in rings as good luck and protection talismans.

(I hope you don't mind my saying this, but 'hessian' is a type of coarse fabric used in upholstery!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I thought you had found a package made up of hessian (i.e. the cloth) and inside it, under the floorboards, was a hoard of gemstones! We can but dream!

Your new stone is very nice and the photography is great! What are your plans? After you've put the floorboards back, the refrigerator in place etc!!! Oh, I meant, what are your plans with the stone! :D

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I love the combination of the colour and step cut. Such a good appealing size too. More pics please!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you feel about the thick girdle?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ok here are a few pics outdoors, hopefull the color will be a better match.

I dont mind the thick gordle, I kind of like it on this stone actually
I always think of german soldiers in the 17th and 18th centuries when I hear "Hessian".

mosshess1.jpg

mosshess2.jpg

mosshess3.jpg

mosshess4.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
These pics are much closer to the actual color, but still slightly more brown and somewhat less orangy, but the stone just smolders!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool stone, looks like there are hot glowing embers in there.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I love it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree. It glows. Beautiful photos!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gem has a wonderful glow!!!!! Very Pretty!!!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1312400565|2983332 said:
I always think of german soldiers in the 17th and 18th centuries when I hear "Hessian".

The "hesson" in Hessonite is taken from the Greek word for "less" or "inferior," not from German mercenary soldiers or a fabric name.
That's because it's much softer than its look-alike zircon, which was highly prized by the ancients as "hyacinth" or "jacinth" and was found in the same hues as Hessonite.

Hessonite is a member of the grossular garnet species that includes Tsavorite and mint garnets, most Mali garnets, as well as colorless, yellow and even rare pink hues. It lacks the very high refractive index of spessartite but cuts very attractive gems as your stone proves.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely glow-y stone and the cut is amazing too.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I love the dreamy vibe. Very nice cut as well.

...Your stone reminds me of the Arabian Dessert ;)) Beautiful. Congrats on your lovely Hessian :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very funky. I like it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results