shape
carat
color
clarity

A green "Just Because" gift for Mom

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Over the last year or so, I have acquired multiple custom pieces to celebrate a milestone birthday this year and my 15th wedding anniversary. I love wearing them around the house even when I am just working from home, and my mom certainly notices them too lol. Earlier this year, I thought to myself, "Hey it's really not fair that my dad never buys any gifts for my mom and they have been together over 40 years." Of course there was the time he bought golf clubs "for her," but since she doesn't play, he "borrows" them when he plays of course :roll2:. As the only child, I took it upon myself to buy a big gift for my mom, because she deserves it; she does so much for me & my kids and I don't know what I would do without her. And I can certainly attribute the start of my love of jewelry from me digging through her drawers and playing with her velvet ring box (I may or may not have swiped a tiny ruby ring from her that my dad gave her when they first got married lol).

I told my mom that I wanted to get something nice for her so I asked her what color she would like. In true mom fashion, she tells me "just get something you like, it will be yours eventually" :lol-2: I was wearing my emerald toi & moi one day and my mom commented "You are BLINDING me with that!" Normally she just goes "ooh ahh" and doesn't comment so I figured that one particularly stuck out to her. So then I thought "I need to get her an emerald of her own!"

The first person I thought to reach out to was Dolly and told her I was searching for emeralds and to keep an eye out for some within my budget. Maybe like 2 weeks pass and she shows me some new stones she found and I quickly honed in on a 3.3ct Zambian emerald (uncerted). It was a little higher than the (arbitrary) budget I set but the size + color were right!

3.3ct Zambian Emerald.png

OK so now with the stone decided, I showed my mom a selection of ring styles (Solitaire, 3-stone, Halo, Pave, etc.) and asked what she liked best. She went with the pave shoulders for a low key but still blingy look, and I continued my convos with Dolly about the setting. My mom's ring size is smaller than mine, so we had to consider that in the future, we may need to size the ring up whenever it comes back to me, so the diamonds go 1/2 way around the shank to reduce the chance of stones popping out. I felt that 18k yellow gold bezel was the way to go to protect the edges, and personally I really love one of the antique 3-stone emerald rings she sold a while back (to @oldcutclubmember) so borrowed some of the basket details from there. At this point, there was nothing else to do but wait!

Of course I recognized the finished product last week when Dolly posted it up on her IG :kiss2:

240621 Emerald Ring.png

...And then yesterday afternoon, it arrived, with about 5 minutes to spare before I had to pick up the kids from their last day of school! So I tore open the package and marveled at it for a hot minute before I had to put it away and run out the door. Luckily it did actually fit on my ring finger too, so I was thrilled I can test drive it for a bit and take lots of glamour shots before gifting it to my mom :P2

It’s lovely! :kiss2:

It really is so hard to capture the color of emeralds (I don't like that my phone sometimes alters the warmth of photos!)... I tried to do it from different angles & hours of the day, in direct sun and in shade, etc. It is a little brighter in person than some of these photos would imply, but the color is so green with maybe a slight blue overtone. It really turned out great and I hope my mom will be thrilled.

ZEmerald 1.jpg

With some shasta daisies
ZEmerald 2.jpg

And some closeups of the basket detail:
ZEmerald 3.jpg

ZEmerald 4.jpg

ZEmerald 5.jpg

Later in the day, I went for a walk during golden hour as well. No idea what these flowers are but the purple looked so gorgeous against the emerald!
ZEmerald 6.jpg

This emerald really loves the warmth of the setting sun, that's for sure.
ZEmerald 7.jpg

So now, I need to figure out if I want to drop this off with AGL or GIA to get it certified and the best time to give it to her. Her birthday is still a few months away and Mother's Day has already passed, so there's no hard deadline. Maybe when I am done playing with it some more haha.

And here is a quick video of it as well:

Last edited:
It's lovely :kiss2:, thanks for sharing, and I hope your mum likes it and will wear it for many years to come!

I particularly like the way she said you should get something that you would like as it will be yours eventually, how thoughtful!!!

DK :))

Oh it's absolutely gorgeous! I love the story behind it even more! Looking forward to see pictures of your wonderful, lovely mom modeling it!

I just realized I forgot to include the measurements! It's 3.3cts and 10mm long x 8.6mm wide x 5.9mm deep in the bezel. The ring is a size 5.5 with 18k yellow gold bezel and 2mm white gold shank.

Over the last year or so, I have acquired multiple custom pieces to celebrate a milestone birthday this year and my 15th wedding anniversary. I love wearing them around the house even when I am just working from home, and my mom certainly notices them too lol. Earlier this year, I thought to myself, "Hey it's really not fair that my dad never buys any gifts for my mom and they have been together over 40 years." Of course there was the time he bought golf clubs "for her," but since she doesn't play, he "borrows" them when he plays of course :roll2:. As the only child, I took it upon myself to buy a big gift for my mom, because she deserves it; she does so much for me & my kids and I don't know what I would do without her. And I can certainly attribute the start of my love of jewelry from me digging through her drawers and playing with her velvet ring box (I may or may not have swiped a tiny ruby ring from her that my dad gave her when they first got married lol).

I told my mom that I wanted to get something nice for her so I asked her what color she would like. In true mom fashion, she tells me "just get something you like, it will be yours eventually" :lol-2: I was wearing my emerald toi & moi one day and my mom commented "You are BLINDING me with that!" Normally she just goes "ooh ahh" and doesn't comment so I figured that one particularly stuck out to her. So then I thought "I need to get her an emerald of her own!"

The first person I thought to reach out to was Dolly and told her I was searching for emeralds and to keep an eye out for some within my budget. Maybe like 2 weeks pass and she shows me some new stones she found and I quickly honed in on a 3.3ct Zambian emerald (uncerted). It was a little higher than the (arbitrary) budget I set but the size + color were right!

3.3ct Zambian Emerald.png

OK so now with the stone decided, I showed my mom a selection of ring styles (Solitaire, 3-stone, Halo, Pave, etc.) and asked what she liked best. She went with the pave shoulders for a low key but still blingy look, and I continued my convos with Dolly about the setting. My mom's ring size is smaller than mine, so we had to consider that in the future, we may need to size the ring up whenever it comes back to me, so the diamonds go 1/2 way around the shank to reduce the chance of stones popping out. I felt that 18k yellow gold bezel was the way to go to protect the edges, and personally I really love one of the antique 3-stone emerald rings she sold a while back (to @oldcutclubmember) so borrowed some of the basket details from there. At this point, there was nothing else to do but wait!

Of course I recognized the finished product last week when Dolly posted it up on her IG :kiss2:

240621 Emerald Ring.png

...And then yesterday afternoon, it arrived, with about 5 minutes to spare before I had to pick up the kids from their last day of school! So I tore open the package and marveled at it for a hot minute before I had to put it away and run out the door. Luckily it did actually fit on my ring finger too, so I was thrilled I can test drive it for a bit and take lots of glamour shots before gifting it to my mom :P2

Oh good lawd... you are officially the greatest daughter on earth!! The stone, the yellow gold bezel, the diamond band in white - it's perfection. Momma's going to go nuts!!!!!!!!!!

Stunning!

What a wonderful story - thanks for sharing! Please let us know how she likes her beautiful gift from her loving daughter.

Can’t wait to hear how she reacts!

What a beautiful ring, what an excellent daughter, what a deserving mum.
I’m sure she will be thrilled to receive it, even more so because it shows her that she raised a truly kind, generous and thoughtful daughter - and that is the real gift.

So gorgeous! I love the setting and I'm sure your Mom will love it as well. What a wonderful daughter you are!

I hope you mom loves this dreamy ring.

Suddenly, you tell your mom “oh, I completely forgot to make your gift. By the way, how do you like my new ring?” :lol:

It’s gorgeous and I’m sure she’ll love it!

Suddenly, you tell your mom “oh, I completely forgot to make your gift. By the way, how do you like my new ring?” :lol:

It’s gorgeous and I’m sure she’ll love it!

We do prank each other like that in my family, so that's not a bad idea lol. Like "Oh, I need to fix my hair" while very obviously waving the hand in her face :P2

So beautiful - and so generous, @Chasiu! Gorgeous!

Thank you for the kind comments everyone! My mom will be coming over to the house shortly so I might just give it to her today (or at least have her try it on before I get it appraised etc.). In the mean time, here are a couple more pictures of the ring, because I can't get over how the color looks in the sun!

ZEmerald 8.jpg

ZEmerald 9.jpg

Sorry I'm late to the party @Chasiu but I had to stop by and say that you're such a sweet and thoughtful daughter and your mum must be an amazing woman to raise you so well. Your relationship with your mum is something a lot of us aspire to. I love that you got something that you both love and can enjoy for a long time! I hope you can show it to your mum and take some quick snaps of her and the ring! It warms my heart how much love has gone into this!

@Chasiu, Your mom is going to be beyond thrilled when you give her this ring. It’s a gorgeous ring! Please know you and your mom have something a million times more beautiful than any piece of jewelry could ever be. You are both extremely lucky. You are a wonderful daughter.

This is such a thoughtful and heartwarming gift and gorgeous to boot!!! The gallery turned out nicely and it looks lovely on your hand! Please come back with your mom’s hand shots as well!

When my mom came over today, I said: "Omg mom, I bought a ring and it doesn't fit me! Can you try it on??" At first she started to say "How can you order something in the wrong size??" and put it on her finger. She was like "Hey this fits me" and then remembered the time I made her try on a ring sizer. Finally put two & two together and realized it was for her lol. She was definitely very excited.

She started taking pictures to show my dad and I told her she needs to go out in the sun to get better pictures :geek2:. I managed to get one decent shot in my phone:

PXL_20240630_140531233~2.jpg

I'm still hanging in to it for a little longer so I can get it appraised, but just wanted to show her and see her reaction first ☺️ (and make sure it fits). As expected, my mom started finding silly ways of positioning the ring in front of people's faces, like "Look over there!" and pointing with her ring finger :lol:

Last edited:
When my mom came over today, I said: "Omg mom, I bought a ring and it doesn't fit me! Can you try it on??" At first she started to say "How can you order something in the wrong size??" and put it on her finger. She was like "Hey this fits me" and then remembered the time I made her try on a ring sizer. Finally put two & two together and realized it was for her lol. She was definitely very excited.

She started taking pictures to show my dad and I told her she needs to go out in the sun to get better pictures :geek2:. I managed to get one decent shot in my phone:

PXL_20240630_140531233~2.jpg

I'm still hanging in to it for a little longer so I can get it appraised, but just wanted to show her and see her reaction first ☺️ (and make sure it fits). As expected, my mom started finding silly ways of positioning the ring in front of people's faces, like "Look over there!" and pointing with her ring finger :lol:
It looks just gorgeous on her hand, and both the way you surprised her with it and her excited playfulness will be part of its story forever! Thank you for sharing this bit of color and joy, it warms my heart to witness such love. It is beautiful that you are so connected to each other!

What a wonderful story and a stunning ring, Chasiu! :love: So glad to hear your mom loves it. I giggled at how you presented it to her.

Aw, I love this whole thread so much! :love::love::love:

You are the sweetest daughter, and your mom must have been so freaking excited! The ring is absolutely gorgeous, and that emerald is so bright and beautiful.
I hope to do this for my mom someday too (with a sapphire, as that’s her birthstone). Feel free to keep posting pics of your mom pointing out things. Like “oh, there’s a stop sign.” :lol:

I’m glad she loves it!

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics