shape
carat
color
clarity

A gift to remember

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Ond of my dearerst friends turns fifty in a couple of days. I''ve been thinking about wanting to get her an appropriately special gift that show we friends recognize her porfessionalism and her ability to plan a life for herself and her daughter that are within her control and are focused on her life goals. We though a beautiful blingy birthstone ring that would state her arrivial at the pinnicle of her future. We''ve about found the setting we like, and are now looking at garnets that would be long enough lasting to encourage her to reach for her stars. Please give us help with gemstones you think would compliment this projectl Thanks!

nancys setting.JPG

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How thoughtful! Tsavorite? Spessartite?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Something with some considerable presence of its own. This woman has lead a convoluted life and I would like her to have a symbol of how her firends view her successes. Green glow of tsavorite would be stunning, as would the refractiveness of the demontoid (my secret favorite). I also see the crisap beauty of the speccerites and hessonites as being stunning in themselves. Any help on who to go to to look at cuts and collors? To fit the mounting we have chosen the stone must approach 8mm round.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I love to window shop at www.cherrypicked.com I have found some amazing stones there. I also like www.whitesgems.com and www.ajsgems.com (I recently purchased an amethyst - I''m waiting to receive it, the picture and description were fantastic, I''m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it lives up to my expectations).

Perfect Diamond

Rough_Rock
Colored diamonds perhaps?

Or try burma rubies, kasmir sapphires, or colombian emeralds...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
spessartite would be stunning in this setting. a remarkable ring for a remarkable woman from remarkable friends. the pinnacle of her future?! she has you and all her friends....she can't go wrong.

movie zombie

leggs

Shiny_Rock
Coloured diamonds...here, I am saving for one myself

http://www.alphaimports.com/

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since her birthday is approaching I take it she is a January baby. Garnets are gorgeous and I agree the tsavorite or spessartite would look incredible in this ring. I also love rhodolite as well. What color of clothing does she prefer? I would go with one of the colors she wears a lot.

BTW, you are a very special and generous friend to get her such a treasure.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She is luicky to have a friend like you and you are lucky in that there are so many beautiful colors and stones in the garnet family. I agree, I would think about what kind of colors she likes and wears.
To me, it''s can be tricky to get a setting and then try to find a stone in it. It may be easier if you select from types of garnets that are more plentiful but no less beautiful such as pyrope or rhodolite. I always enjoy looking at the mineralminers site.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Where did that setting come from? It looks JUST like what I am looking for!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i personally don''t look at what colors i wear to decide what color of stone i wear.....is she that kind of woman? if so, i still say spessartite is my #1 choice for that setting.

my number #2 would be mali garnet which while green isn''t usually deep green and sparkles like a diamond if cut correctly giving a dispersion of color that takes my breath away.

i usually don''t like this type of setting but this one is unusual in that it won''t compete with the center color stone....which is why i like it and i would also love to know where you found it.

movie zombie

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me, tsavorites have depth and complexity (as your friends appears to be). They are also blingy (as you want). An 8mm round shouldn''t be difficult to find. If you''d like it custom-cut, I second www.whitesgems.com.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is a 3.46 merilani garnet there worth considering.......

movie zombie

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Purple/violet copper bearing Mozambique tourmaline. I recently bought some and think it''s very special. It''s the type that heats into neon blue/green

Regards,
Maurice

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Movie Zombie, Harriet, MJO (Maurice) all great choices. Don''t know if I''ve seen the purple violet copper bearing garnet but it sounds interesting.

If you post the mm size that fits the ring, we would have a better idea what is feasible.
Though I love all the suggestions I''ll go ahead and put in a vote for tsavorite as that is on my wish list. I have a demantoid (namibian) garnet and also love it. However they can be hard (or expensive) to find in large pieces.

Good luck!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Gypsy,

What size are you looking for? I just bought a small beauty from Gemline Inc. .70cts.

This is a 33ct stone before heating

Beforeheat111.jpg

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is the stone after heating

Afterheating111.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful stone, but I really liked it in it's natural color!

As far as the gift goes, I think her color preferences DO matter. I definitely prefer blues, violets, pinks, and reds over orange, greeen, browns. So I think you do need to think about the colors she seems to favor as far as clothing goes.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I left the 2 best in their natural color.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2007 6:32:43 PM
Author: MJO
I left the 2 best in their natural color.
Ah ha! Now that is the advantage of having multiples! You are fortunate indeed!

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
If her birthday is in a few weeks and you would like to do a birthstone in the setting... then we're talking garnets! I am also a January baby. The great thing about garnets is that there are so many colors from which to choose. I am partial to rhodolite as I am more of pink girl and they come in some lovely shades of raspberry. Buuuuut, there are also stunning shades of green and orange. So many possibilities!

What color does your friend enjoy??! I'd say start there and see what you can find.

She is definitely lucky to have such a wonderful friend in you...

1.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I keep a collection of large and small mandarin garnets at home to look at. As;p assorted spinels, Tanzanites and even a 10ct alexandrite which I am thinking of selling.

Regards,
Maurice

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2007 12:25:21 AM
Author: MJO
I keep a collection of large and small mandarin garnets at home to look at. As;p assorted spinels, Tanzanites and even a 10ct alexandrite which I am thinking of selling.

Regards,
Maurice
Now that is a very nice "rock collection"!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results