shape
carat
color
clarity

A few Snapshots from the March HK Show

Cognition

Rough_Rock
I barely made it to the show as I arrived at 12. I was only able to skim through hall 10 and 11, and stop by four dealers that I knew really well. overall, the materials are average with exception of several highend European and Japanese dealers. I saw a lot of rubies, sapphires, emeralds, paraibas, and alexandrites.

One thing for sure, the price tags were insanely high like it used to a year ago. I was considering to purchase a fine alexandrite, but I finally end up with a "not so alexandrite". It is a red chrysoberyl, but it may "change" to grayish teal under a controlled environment. Otherwise, it looks reddish purple, even under my living room's light. Btw, this germany dealer that I bought this red chrysoberyl, gave me a 100 years return period if any top lab conclude that this stone was not an untreated chrysoberyl. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

20160302_175006.jpg

20160302_144019.jpg

20160302_145316.jpg

20160302_174030.jpg

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Cognition,

Thanks for giving us a photo tour! Would love to see more photos! I really like the idea of PSers photographing the shows that they visit - gives the rest of us a chance to live vicariously ;-)

What were the prices per carat for paraiba and mahenge spinel, do you remember?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How fun! Thanks for sharing.

cheers--Sharon

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Cool... thanks for letting us be a part of your visit to the HK gem show. Please show more pics and comments if you have more. Excited to see your red chrysoberyl.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing. What an amusing way to display the Paraiba melee!

Cognition

Rough_Rock
I did not ask for the price of those paraiba, but the price of the finest 2ct pink mahenge spinel that I asked was $2k pct, negotiable.

One of the dealer also carry a nearly 1.5ct true cobalt bearing and eye clean spinel with its finest color, and its asking price was $5k pct

what else...

a dealer asked 15k pct for a 2ct eye clean Brazilian alexandrite. it came with AGL cert stating prominent (90% - 100%) degree of color change. This one is too dark for my taste.

a Japanese dealer asked 100k pct for an eye clean royal blue paraiba. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:
Honestly, this one looks like a regular fine sapphire. I just do not get the paraiba hype :wall: :wall:

Reactions: AV_

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you, Cognition for the prices per carat that you listed...yes, I agree, 100k pct for that royal blue paraiba is crazy!!! I guess it's just a rare color for paraiba??

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, it's like a sweetie shop! I'd love to get to a gem show someday, more pics please, if you have them :twirl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pictures. It looks like a fun gem show.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cognition|1457267349|4000489 said:
One of the dealer also carry a nearly 1.5ct true cobalt bearing and eye clean spinel with its finest color, and its asking price was $5k pct

If that is for an electric (hauyne-like) blue spinel from Luc Yen, then that would be a bargain.

I would love to get to one of the larger trade shows...but I would need to save save save for such an adventure, so thank you for sharing.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pictures! Love the pic of the Kashmir sapphire, the color is fabulous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, thank you! I'm enjoying the eye candy very much. :appl:

Luca_diamonds

Rough_Rock
I was quoted $22000 per carat for a 2ct Brazilian alexandrite from a Indian dealer . Almost all the dealers in the hongkong fair had atleast 5-6 pieces of alexandrite for sale . Ended up buying a 3 ct Indian origin alexandrite for $11000.

Reactions: AV_

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great Pic's..........thanks so much for sharing info and beauty!

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
is the Hong Kong show only open for trade personnel?

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
thank you MollyMalone :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results