shape
carat
color
clarity

A few questionsfrom a newbie, and am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steve60

Rough_Rock
I have recently begun my search for a diamond and have visited various local retailers. I also just came across this site today; very informative. Here''s the issue. I am interested in a pear between 3.5 and 4.5 carats, E-G in color and I think I am willing to go up to SI1/2 to ease the price. First, I''m wondering in the first instance whether it''s wise to make such a large purchase online. I don''t mean to sound snooty at all, but many of the purchases I have seen browing here today are for somewhat smaller stones. Second, how do I really know what I''m getting in terms of how briliant the diamond is and how it will really look.
Any help would be most appreciated!

Steve60

Rough_Rock
P.S. For what it's worth, I am limiting myself to GIA stones.

Steve60

Rough_Rock
I have found a stone that meets my general parameters. Any comments would be helpful. Here's the info on the stone:

Cut Pear
Carat 4.0
Color E
Measurements 14.01 x 8.31 x. 5.39
Depth 64.9%
Table 60%
Girdle Medium to thick, faceted
Culet None
Polish Very good
Symmetry good
Clarity SI2
Fluorescence Faint

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jetcaptain

Rough_Rock
If you're going to spend that kind of money, you are definitely going to need a professional evaluation of whatever diamond you select! Anyway, I would suggest you check out any SI2 very carefully. You're getting real close to the point where inclusions might be visible to the naked eye.

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Hello Steve, welcome to the forum. As for the pear shape diamond you listed:

The cut has some issues with regards to girdle thickness...thick is a little excessive. I would look for a nice "medium" thickness in this size. I also would look for a little lower depth percentage as the depth listed puts this stone into a class 2b cut...63.0% or lower to 59.0%.

The color is great in that there is no color..."E".

Clarity of inclusions in an SI-2 is noticeable to the naked eye in a 4.00ct pear shape.

The length to width ratio (shape appeal) is in the "preferred range".

I have only addressed a few concerns here. I have no way of knowing crown/pavillion angles etc... to truly determine what this stone does. Have it looked at by an independant Graduate Gemologist appraiser to verify the GIA Diamond Grading Report.

Good Luck!

George

Steve60

Rough_Rock
George and Jetcaptain,
Thank you both for your input. I appreciate your replies!

rocknovice

Rough_Rock
> I don't mean to sound snooty at all, but many of the purchases I have seen > browing here today are for somewhat smaller stones.

I dont think the smaller stones are sign of non-snootyness. I think more likely most are for engagement rings. The smaller stones are a more practical size to be worn every day for the rest of your life.

I for one have considered looking for a much larger stone but have decided to get a smaller stone that is in proportion to my girlfriends finger. Maybe I'll get her a large pear someday as a cocktail ring.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
Hi steve60
According to the ratio of that stone you mentioned in your thread it seemas as thoguh it is a bit on the long side, as the ratio is 1:1.68 It really all depends if you like that kind of shape, (it more like a tear drop from the measur.)
Now some people like that ,but the standards of a nice pear shape is usually 1:1.40-1.50 in ratio. width to length.
I would try to stay away from si2 and either drop in size or go the extra mile and go for an SI1 or better.
Just my 2 cents
1.gif

good luck
diamondsman

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
Hi steve60

If it were me and I was looking for a stone that large I would definetly want to see it first. I would research online and buy at the jewelers.

carbon

Rough_Rock
----------------
Steve60 wrote:
First, I'm wondering in the first instance whether it's wise to make such a large purchase online. I don't mean to sound snooty at all, but many of the purchases I have seen browing here today are for somewhat smaller stones.

Steve, I didn't buy a stone nearly as large but I did buy online and let me just say that I have no regrets. Do your research by visting your local retailers and get an idea of the size, color etc. that you want... then start hunting online. I'd be willing to guess that some of the retailers who frequent this board could find you what you are looking for.

----------------
Steve60 wrote:
Second, how do I really know what I'm getting in terms of how briliant the diamond is and how it will really look.
Any help would be most appreciated!
----------------

This one is easy. Have it shipped to one of the independent appraisers here. They will send you photos and anything else you request. Well worth the few dollars it costs... especially for a stone that size and cost AND you could actually pay them a visit and see your stone in person. WELL worth the trip... and it will put your mind at ease.

Even if money is no object for you, the pros of buying via the online route (value for money, quality, choices) in my opinion, far outweigh the cons.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a picture of a pear with a 1.66:1 ratio. Tear drop shapes ARE GORGEOUS. It is best to see them as advised here or have a pro help you out. http://www.goodoldgold.com/pear_1_14ct_f_vs2.htm

And dman is right. Stay away from SI2's in that size range unless you've consigned yourself to the fact that you're going to get a diamond with eye visible inclusions.

Hope that helps.

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results