shape
carat
color
clarity

A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
I have found a diamond and everything looks good about it numbers wise. There are two concerns I have though.

1)Girdle is Thin to Thick
2)GIA has additional comments of "Clouds are not shown..Surface graining not shown"

1)Is this anything I need to be concerned about? I am still waiting on the sarin to find out how thin and how thick the girdle is, but what is a tolerable variation between the thinest and thickest points? What effect will this have on performance and durablity of the diamond?

2)I read somewhere that these types of comments are put there by the GIA just to be precise, and they are listed as comments because they do not effect the performance or duability or anything really about the diamond! Any truth there?

Thanks

Rook

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Also how important is symmetry and polish in a fancy shaped diamond in general, and a pear to be more specific. There are not very many pears with vg sym, and vg polish? Is it worth holding out for one? If I can not visibly see any sym/pol defects on a g/g stone is that fine?

barry

Shiny_Rock
The answer to your Q-#2 is Yes.
It's put there for informational purposes.

You will have to view the diamond very carefully through 10X
magnification to see 'clouds' and 'graining'.
Otherwise, the diamond is definitely eye-clean.

As far as girdles are concerned, nothing to worry about
with 'thin' as it usually refers to one/or a few
specific spots on the girdle. This will not affect
the durability of the stone. You should be concerned
with a girdle that is listed as 'extremely thin'
as this may mask an imperfection,fault line,
or cutter's "swindling" the stone
that may rear up and bite you in the rear-end
down the line.

'Extremly thin' girdles are also problematic in fancies that have "points", e.g., Marquises, Pears, and
Princess Cuts. Note whether the 'extremely thin' lies at or near the point; if it does you're asking for trouble.
These areas are very sensitive and girdles should be
'thin to medium' at the very least.

Barry
www.superbcert.com :wavey:

barry

Shiny_Rock
VG/VG/ to EX in fancies is no guarantee
of a superior looking diamond.
I've seen many fancies with these Polish/Symmetry grades that are absolute duds in terms of light return.

You can have G/G Polish-Symmetry and if the
Crown/ Pavilion facets are positioned correctly
against each other, will yield a high light-output
visually very appealing diamond.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Barry,

Thanks for your replies: I have been staying away from extremelys and verys in the girdle range. I have actually been looking for a thin to med, or a med to thick. I was just not sure if the larger variance in having a thin to thick was going to give me possible problems.

Also I have found a couple of pears that look great but have g/g pol/sym. I guess I am just not well informed about pol/sym. I think I understand what constitutes good vs very good pol/sym, just not what the difference it will make. For example if you had two diamonds, exactly the same in every regard except one had g/g and the other had vg/vg, would it really matter? Beyond being able to tell looking through a loop?

barry

Shiny_Rock
Rook;

Again, not necessarily. It's all about the
placement of the facets. Properly done, you will "see"
more light coming at you from the
Crown and Table. You can have two diamonds with very
similar specs 'look' quite different.

Keep looking and comparing.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results