shape
carat
color
clarity

a few questions about rolling rings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So instead of resetting or buying a new stone, sense I can't for the life of me make a decision, I'm focusing on bands instead. I know I want to pair with my pear a rose gold baby bezel band from bgd and I'm thinking that and a two tone plain band with white and rose gold. Like a tiffany one but I'll probably buy it from e wedding bands.

Now to tie in the multi tone look, I want a rolling band. I would really prefer a Cartier one, and would be more than willing to buy a preloved one. My questions are, how accurate are sizes for rolling bands compared to single bands, and will I really notice a difference between that and a blue Nile one? Would I appreciate just biting the bullet and buying a new one?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I'm super interested in a Cartier rolling ring as well. I don't live in a state with a Cartier jewelry store so I'm hoping Cartier ring owners will weigh in on sizing.

I think I'd rather buy new just because the gold gets a little dinged up as the rings are always moving on top of each other.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a new Cartier trinity several, err many, years ago. I love the ring, but it shows wear fairly quickly, as you might imagine given the movement. I'd buy a vintage Cartier. I also do not care for the prominent branding the newer Cartier rings have.
I think sizing requires a trip to Cartier. It may depend on the width you choose.
I have no experience with BN.
Enjoy your choice. It's a subtle iconic piece.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah that's how I feel. If it'll ding anyways why not get a used one. Also, I don't love that they say Cartier right on it, give a "return to Tiffany's feel to it that I don't love. Did you find your rolling ring to have to be larger or smaller than your normal bands? Or same size?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I just looked at mine and it's a 55. So that is my typical size.
I wear a 7 US....my trinity seems to fit differently depending on how it's rolled. I sort of like that I can fit it on my right middle finder or ring finger....

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious - Have you or would you consider one of the pave rolling rings?
They look so gorgeous to me, but I can't imagine all the movement would not damage the pave?
(I sort of have a thing for bands.)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah because I found a few 56s that I would buy but they are thinner and I wear a us 7.25 so I don't know if that would be too large

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd never considered the pave because they are out of my price range. But either way its a little bilingual, plus your right I bet its not good for the pave

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found one for 56 like I said, think there's any way to roll it in such a way to make it seem .5 smaller?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can "flip" one of the bands to tighten it up, but it looks different and doesn't roll the same way if you do that. If you want, I can take pictures tonight and post them for you.

I have a rolling ring that I bought in Rome in 1996 a jewelry store near the Spanish Steps, but it's not a Cartier (it's unbranded, although I actually don't mind the "Cartier" on these rings). I love the ring like crazy, and I also don't mind that it's gotten dinged up over time (it's 22 kt gold an very soft).

The sizing is a bit tricky. I went to Cartier last summer to see about getting a really wide one and I was a size 50, which is kind of a five... but a five in a rolling ring isn't just like a five in another ring. Not sure how to explain it, but I would definitely try these on before buying.

Right now my current obsession is one of the teeny tiny rolling rings for my pinky, but I have no idea what size I am. Looks like another trip to Cartier is in order! :cheeky:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Harpertoo,

I'd be more worried about the pave "eating" the metal it's rubbing against than the metal damaging the pave.

liz

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1362683191|3399241 said:
You can "flip" one of the bands to tighten it up, but it looks different and doesn't roll the same way if you do that. If you want, I can take pictures tonight and post them for you.

I have a rolling ring that I bought in Rome in 1996 a jewelry store near the Spanish Steps, but it's not a Cartier (it's unbranded, although I actually don't mind the "Cartier" on these rings). I love the ring like crazy, and I also don't mind that it's gotten dinged up over time (it's 22 kt gold an very soft).

The sizing is a bit tricky. I went to Cartier last summer to see about getting a really wide one and I was a size 50, which is kind of a five... but a five in a rolling ring isn't just like a five in another ring. Not sure how to explain it, but I would definitely try these on before buying.

Right now my current obsession is one of the teeny tiny rolling rings for my pinky, but I have no idea what size I am. Looks like another trip to Cartier is in order! :cheeky:

Would you say you have to go up or down in size ? I apologize I am hours from a Cartier. I don't know where the closest is but its either outside Detroit or Chicago, either way, my FI won't green light a all day jaunt while he's home with the baby so I can try on rings :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1362683678|3399251 said:
Dee*Jay|1362683191|3399241 said:

Would you say you have to go up or down in size ? I apologize I am hours from a Cartier. I don't know where the closest is but its either outside Detroit or Chicago, either way, my FI won't green light a all day jaunt while he's home with the baby so I can try on rings :lol:

In my experience I find that rolling rings fit bigger, so I go down. Maybe it's a function of the European sizing not translating exactly (so a 49 is actually bigger than a 5, but they call it a five), or maybe it's because you can roll it on and off so you don't get that "Oh sh!it it's stuck" feeling you get with soild rings of a certain size when they get to your knuckle. Also, with wider rings I go bigger, so I would order a 50 in the widest style, but I would be a 49 in the medium, and maybe a 48 in the thinnest (if that makes any sense).

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm finding when I play around with rolling my ring I can make it large enough to fit my R middle finger, and small enough for my L ring finger....that said, there is probably less that .25 difference between my right and left hand. Left being smaller.

Another example is my Pomellato Nudo is a 53, and it has a narrow band. I can wear that on R or L ring finger...so I think the width of the trinity and the rolling really influence the fit.
Clear as mud, right!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
LibbyLA|1362683614|3399248 said:
Harpertoo,

I'd be more worried about the pave "eating" the metal it's rubbing against than the metal damaging the pave.

liz

LibbyLA
That's probably right.
I don't think I'll ever buy one with pave, I'm sort of a purist with the original design, but they do turn my head!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1362687546|3399292 said:
I'm finding when I play around with rolling my ring I can make it large enough to fit my R middle finger, and small enough for my L ring finger....that said, there is probably less that .25 difference between my right and left hand. Left being smaller.

Another example is my Pomellato Nudo is a 53, and it has a narrow band. I can wear that on R or L ring finger...so I think the width of the trinity and the rolling really influence the fit.
Clear as mud, right!
Hhahah I have no idea. Do you think if I wear a 7.25 should I go 55 or 56 or 54?

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I have the thinnest Cartier rolling ring. I can't remember the size (I think it is a 50, but I'll check when I get home), but I remember that the European size translated to my regular size 5. I think you could maybe go a size smaller because the rolling action makes it easier to get the ring on and off. Flipping the ring as Dee*Jay suggested works, but it definitely will not roll. It kind of just gets stuck and it doesn't lay as flat on your finger.

They do get a patina on them pretty quickly. I bought mine new in June and you can definitely tell that it has been worn. I was looking for a used one for a few months before I bought it, but I couldn't find the right finger/thinness combination. If you are worried about it looking scuffed up, I think you can send the ring in to Cartier to be repolished.

Also, I don't think the Cartier logo is too bold on my ring. Most of the time I can't even see it because of the rolling. But maybe it's because I have the smallest one. I'll have to take some pics when I get home.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I knew I could never articulate this ring sizing coherently!

I'd say 56 if we're talking the "classic" 4mm version - not the skinny 2.9mm....
And I think you could probably go down to a 55 if you found one.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I would LOVE to see pics.because I really love the plain ones but if it isn't noticeable that would be cool.

I like the fact they get worn, I love the look of them

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I am a 7.25 and the size 55 fit me best in the 2mm size. 56 in the medium and large sizes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1362690300|3399339 said:
Hey Niel!

I'm not sure if it helps of if you are near NYC but NYC Estate Jewelers aka Israelie Rose has several of the cartier trinty bands for sale right now.

Take a look at their signed pieces page:
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/signed-and-designer-pieces/12/1/all/all/cat
There were two times I got excited. One I thought might fit me was like 100 less than a new one, so why not just get new, then there was one that was like 750, but not my size :(

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1362692085|3399369 said:
I am a 7.25 and the size 55 fit me best in the 2mm size. 56 in the medium and large sizes.
Is the two mm the smallest one? Because that's the one I like. The big ones seem too, I don't know, not me. I'm fine paying for a new one, I just like a deal, plus the idea of it being an antique seems romantic

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Yes, by 2mm I mean the small one (I think it's actually 1.8mm). One advantage to buying new is that if you get the size wrong you just send it back.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1362694561|3399402 said:
Yes, by 2mm I mean the small one (I think it's actually 1.8mm). One advantage to buying new is that if you get the size wrong you just send it back.
You're probably right. And then I'd also feel better about it knowing its its directly from Cartier instead of ebad

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have the skinniest one in a size 46 (not sure what American size that translates to), but I wear a 3.5-3.75. The logo on this size is very small and depending on which band is on top, isn't visible most of the time anyway.

The one downside to me is that because the bands are so slim, the distinctness of the the 3 metals gets blurred a little so that to me, it looks more like an indistinguishable blob of a warm metal. I wonder if that would less so in the wider bands, but alas I have short fingers and any wider gives me finger muffin top.

I'm mobile right now but if you search my posts, I posted a thread when I got the ring. I wear it a lot and it did tarnish but a polishing cloth made it look pretty good.

ETA: I was able to upload one pic. I believe mine is the 1.5mm.

_4318.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1362692318|3399372 said:
Sarahbear621|1362690300|3399339 said:
Hey Niel!

I'm not sure if it helps of if you are near NYC but NYC Estate Jewelers aka Israelie Rose has several of the cartier trinty bands for sale right now.

Take a look at their signed pieces page:
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/signed-and-designer-pieces/12/1/all/all/cat
There were two times I got excited. One I thought might fit me was like 100 less than a new one, so why not just get new, then there was one that was like 750, but not my size :(

Bummer!!! I saw some of the Love bracelets on there for around 5k and brand new they are the same price too which I think is crazy. If you have the opportunity to buy in the store instead of online then definitely take it. We bought my bracelet in the store and they opened up champagne for us and everything. It sort of made the whole jewelry buying purchase more of a fun experience and hurt the credit card a bit less when we pulled it out to pay.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pave rolling ring which I bought from an etsy store. I ordered it in my standard ring size. And like other posters it fits differently on how the rings have rolled.

If you don't mind having a non-branded ring it is a great place to look

:bigsmile:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im not a brand girl exactly but theres a few reasons I want this.
Its so iconic i feel like I have to get the original, even though its weird, if i was getting a tiffany solitaire, i wouldnt need the original. Probably because i know its maybe the first but not necessarily the best, but for this i feel like it is.
Also lately ive been getting all sentimental, i keep wanting to have really nice quality things to pass down to my baby girl, i know, looooong ways away, but I dont know the idea of "this was my moms/grandmas Cartier" just seems nice to me, even if its not a million dollar piece or something.
Im so flip floppy on my e ring i want something I can look down at all the time and say "boom! love it" and not have any second thoughts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovemybling|1362706563|3399574 said:
I have a pave rolling ring which I bought from an etsy store. I ordered it in my standard ring size. And like other posters it fits differently on how the rings have rolled.

If you don't mind having a non-branded ring it is a great place to look

:bigsmile:

we were all questioning a pave one, do you find that it eats away at the metal?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results