shape
carat
color
clarity

A few questions about numbers from a newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bb1

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m sure this has been asked about 1000 times, but if someone would be so kind as to give me the lowest numbers to consider when looking at 1.5 - 2.0 ct. range I would certianly appreciate it. I''m just begining my search and want to know what not to look below, and while I have read a few of the cut tutorials, I wasnt sure if they changed much based on the size of the stone. In other words is a SI1 ok for a .75 ct. stone, but a bad idea for a 1.75 ct. stone?

Here is what I have been told, and was hoping you all could confirm or reject this.

* nothing worse than SI 1 for clarity
* nothing worse than H for a stone this size or larger
* best cut you can afford
* depth not outside the range of 55 - 64
* Table not outside the range of 52 - 64

ummm, I think thats it. Any other tips are also greatly appreciated, as I''m new to this and want to move fairly quickly.

As a bonus, in your opinions can you get a nice stone in the 1.5 to 1.75 range for between 7 and 8k just for the stone, or do I need to raise that figure quite a bit?

thanks in advance!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
For Ideal proportions, you want:

Table 53-58%
Total Depth 58.7-62.3%

1.5 carat is probably doable on the upper end of your price range. 2 carats will run closer to $10-$11K.
1.gif

bb1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply..

How do you feel about the SI1 and H color in that size range? Still ok?
I know it depends on the stone, but just generally speaking.

thank again!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Lots of people here buy beautiful H/SI1 stones, and some even find lower colors and or clarities that still "face-up white" and are "eye clean". These are the 2 keys, because unless you are a rarity nut, you really care about what it looks like, not what it specs out to.

Some people are color sensitive, so it is best if you go out and look at various colors in well cut stones. (Make sure they are well cut, or it won't be the same). If you are not a color sensitive type, H should be fine, but color is really a personal taste -- more so than clarity.

Focus on the stone's cut. Use the cut advisor here on Pricescope. You will need crown and pavilion angles, so ask the vendor for a sarin report to give you all the cut details. THe better the cut, the lower in clarity and color you can go (to a point of course.)

good luck, and post more questions as you get them!

bb1

Rough_Rock
Great reply, thanks so much!
1.gif

I'm sure after looking at a few stones, I'll be back with more.
Very Much appreciated!

bb1

Rough_Rock
Great reply, thanks so much!
1.gif

I'm sure after looking at a few stones, I'll be back with more.
Very Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results