shape
carat
color
clarity

A few diamonds - opinions greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Second City

Rough_Rock
After visiting this board for the first time last night and hearing what people had to say, I was extremely impressed. It motivated me to stay up late and conduct further research. I have a few diamonds that I would like to get people's opinions on. I am also listing the base price, which can and will be further negotiated. Thanks in advance, you guys are great.

Diamond 1 - $9,600
Report Type: GIA Diamond Grading Report
Date of Issue: March 13, 2006
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.91 - 6.98 x 4.31 mm
Carat Weight: 1.29
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 62.1 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 34°
Crown Height: 14.5 %
Pavilion Angle: 41°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5 %
Star length: 60 %
Lower Half: 80 %
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Pinpoints are not shown.

Diamond 2 - $10,700
Date of Issue: December 06, 2005
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.90 - 6.96 x 4.31 mm
Carat Weight: 1.26
Color Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VS2

Depth: 62.2 %
Table: 55 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Crown Angle: 35°
Crown Height: 16 %
Pavilion Depth: 43 %
Star length: 50 %
Lower Half: 75 %

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown.

Diamond 3 - $8,200
Date of Issue: March 06, 2006
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.08 - 7.10 x 4.30 mm
Carat Weight: 1.32
Color Grade: D
Clarity Grade: SI2

Depth: 60.6 %
Table: 58 %
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Crown Height: 14 %
Pavilion Depth: 43.5 %
Star length: 55 %
Lower Half: 75 %
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments: Clouds are not shown. Surface graining is not shown.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All are potentially nice.

Need to see in person or get Ideal Scope images to narrow it down.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
My (non-expert) preference is for #3, so long as its eye-clean. In that one you get the best color and best size at the best price. I''m also fond of the D/fluorescence combo, which for various reasons has the additional benefit of giving you a slight price break (search for this phenomena if you don''t know what I mean).

GIA reports don''t give really specific measurements - for example, on all the stones that say the pavillion angle is 41 degrees, that could be 40.9 or 41.2, and that''s an important difference. You need to see a sarin or helium report and/or see idealscope images.

With respect to #2, some people believe that stones with old certs are dogs that lots of people have passed on. This is probably true sometimes, and other times its just the price point or particular combo of color/clairty is not particularly popular, or just weird coincidence. So just a potential, though not definite, issue there.

Good luck!
35.gif

Second City

Rough_Rock
A couple questions:

1. Is a depth of 62 too much? I read on one particular site that it should never exceed much past 61, while other sites state that it is still within the ideal parameters.

2. Will medium flourescence combined with D color negatively impact the diamond. I know there are many opinions on fluorescence, but my personal knowledge is limited.

Thanks again.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depth is not a determinant of ideal cut, really... 61 is where a lot of the branded stones we see on PS fall, though. 62 is well within ideal range, though, as long as everything is cool.

Med fluor is fine.

Second City

Rough_Rock
I am going to examine the diamonds in person tomorrow. My initial preference without looking is towards #3. I feel like I am getting the most bang for my buck, as long as the diamond is eye-clear. If I could knock around $600 off the list price, which would equal $7,600, would it be considered a good deal? Thanks.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2006 9:35:08 PM
Author: Second City
If I could knock around $600 off the list price, which would equal $7,600, would it be considered a good deal? Thanks.
It would be irresponsible of anyone to say if it would be a good deal without seeing it.

yaknowwudImean?
4.gif

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 9:44:21 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 12/6/2006 9:35:08 PM
If I could knock around $600 off the list price, which would equal $7,600, would it be considered a good deal? Thanks.
It would be irresponsible of anyone to say if it would be a good deal without seeing it.

yaknowwudImean?
4.gif
Totally understand. I just wanted a general opinion if in fact, it checked out clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are much better options! But hands down, I''d choose number 1 or number 2. I just can''t see paying for higher color and then going so low on clarity. I think the first two have better cut numbers, too.

Second City

Rough_Rock
Any preference between one and two? I''m just trying to get an overall feel for what people prefer - it honestly helps me much better understand the process of selecting a quality diamond and what to focus on when doing so.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 9:53:18 PM
Any preference between one and two? I''m just trying to get an overall feel for what people prefer - it honestly helps me much better understand the process of selecting a quality diamond and what to focus on when doing so.
SC, you have the luxury many of us don''t, you get to actually see them. Therefore, my suggestion is, go with the one that pleases you most.
2.gif

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 9:59:56 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 12/6/2006 9:53:18 PM
SC, you have the luxury many of us don''t, you get to actually see them. Therefore, my suggestion is, go with the one that pleases you most.
2.gif
Although important, I don''t want to get too caught up in the numbers. It''s just that all this information can be overwhelming at times.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 10:05:32 PM

Date: 12/6/2006 9:59:56 PM
Author: Ellen

2.gif
Although important, I don''t want to get too caught up in the numbers. It''s just that all this information can be overwhelming at times.
Yes it can. Most of us kinda have to get into the numbers thing, because we aren''t seeing them, but you are. Just look them over carefully, try to get them away from the counter lighting, near a window. Take your time, and see which one speaks to you. If by chance none do, keep looking, it will be a good education anyway!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d agree with Ellen that I''d choose between 1 and 2 based on the looks. However,I''d personally love a G VS2, so I''d save the thousand bucks and choose that one (#1)! Let''s just say if I couldn''t see them and could only order one, that would be my choice of the three.

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 10:39:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I'd agree with Ellen that I'd choose between 1 and 2 based on the looks. However,I'd personally love a G VS2, so I'd save the thousand bucks and choose that one (#1)! Let's just say if I couldn't see them and could only order one, that would be my choice of the three.
A few more questions for the inquiring mind
emwink.gif

1. Is the difference in color (G vs. E) between the two negligible?

2. I know both table sizes are within the ideal range. Is one (57 vs. 55) generally preferred?

3. Do Star length and lower half % impact a diamond greatly if they deviate by about 5% either way?

Thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. I had an F diamond before and went with one that is graded an H but scores a G on the technology that grades color. I really can''t see much difference at all, particularly since the G/H is ideal cut and the other is not. G is just an excellent value because it is at the top of the near colorless range, yet it costs less than the D-F range. And truthfully, the diamond will almost never be right next to another one that is D-F, so you''d likely not even see the difference in real life.

2. No, in my opinion, 55-57 is terrific for the table.

3. I am not an expert, but what the lower half number means to me in practical terms is that and 80 has thinner arrows than a 75. That is purely personal preference, and most of the time you can''t even see the arrows. That would not be my determining factor at all, though. Both are fine.

Second City

Rough_Rock
I am definitely excited to purchase the engagement ring, although I am going to be deliberate in my decision thanks in large part to this board. The setting has already been picked out and it's beautiful. There are approximately an additional .62 cts in the setting, one .25 diamond on each side of the center stone and three diamonds on each side directly beneath that totaling .13, so I think the sizes I am looking at for the center stone are just right.

Second City

Rough_Rock
I visited the store today and narrowed my choices down to #1 and #2. Both are very similar, with a slight edge given to #2. The price of #2 with discount is $10,165. Further negotiation is likely to take place. I think I may have found the one - it looks terrific, has nice specs, and the price seems very comparable to most online sites.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome.

Would you share with us your observations about the stones?

Second City

Rough_Rock
Very clean stones with a phenominal glow. I held a slight preference for #2 because of it''s superior symmetry and color, which brought out a little bit extra sparkle. Although it costs about $1,000 more, I figure the difference spread out over the life of the diamond will be minimal.

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Were you able to take a look at them away from the store''s spotlights? That is the more relevant test, as even more poorly cut stones look good under the lights designed to sell them.

Mark

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 12:08:13 AM
Author: plg_cp
Were you able to take a look at them away from the store''s spotlights? That is the more relevant test, as even more poorly cut stones look good under the lights designed to sell them.

Mark
Yes. That was definitely a concern of mine. I wanted to make sure that the diamonds had that same sparkle in her everyday life.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s great that you were able to view them to see which you preferred! And I agree that the greater cost now really doesn''t matter over a lifetime if you like the stone better!

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 8:34:17 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That's great that you were able to view them to see which you preferred! And I agree that the greater cost now really doesn't matter over a lifetime if you like the stone better!
No question. I felt slightly rushed last night because I arrived there later than anticipated because of work and traffic. However, I am making a return visit on Saturday and will look at both stones without being informed of their specs. More than likely, my eyes will draw me back to the same one. Overall, I was very impressed with their pricing - I searched many different sites including this one, Blue Nile, White Flash, Dimond Scaas, etc.; all seemed to be within the same range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results