shape
carat
color
clarity

A Don't 'till it was a DO: Ever change your mind re:jewelry?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know some of us have types of jewelry we just DO NOT wear. Sometimes it's a whole type of jewelry, like, say, all necklaces are verboten, and sometimes it's a type of metal or a specific gemstone, and sometimes it's a question of origin. Have you ever changed your mind? Do you go back and forth? And why?

I'm wondering because I've suddenly done a complete 180 concerning bracelets: for years and years and years, I'd occasionally buy them, but at the end of the day (or, more typically, the beginning), when I was doing my little out-the-door Chanel mirror-check, the bracelet was the accessory I'd find myself removing. And then, poof! Suddenly I'm obsessed with bracelets, something I'd trace back to having been torn between my beloved carre-cut eternity band and an Art Deco line bracelet back in February. I think it was partially the beauty of that particular bracelet, and partially the sheer fact that (First World problem alert!) I'd sort of polished off my main Wish List. I mean ... I have the pendant and the earrings and the wardrobe of eternity bands, so either I start alternating (blasphemy! I tend to get ... attached to pieces), or I bring the wrists into play.

Yeah, I went back and bought the bracelet yesterday.; :oops: :razz:

And on a related note, I'm finding my aversion to designer mark-ups fading just a tad now - I treated myself to a morning off to celebrate the end of the term and swanned around Cartier and Fred Leighton and such after I bought the bracelet, and while I'm not quite at the point where I can see myself paying the premium for the experience, I can suddenly see the appeal of the experience should one also be madly in love with the design!

How'se about youse?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: A Don't 'till it was a DO: Ever change your mind re:jewe

Kind of like you Circe.

I didn't get the point of necklaces for awhile...mostly because I didn't want to go through the hassle of putting them on. Now I love wearing my pendant. I actually went through a phase in my 20's where I loved costume necklaces (beads) so there seems to be an ebb and flow here.

I also used to love watches, but then haven't worn them for the better part of the last decade. Now I'm into them again.

Also re: designers - when I first found PS, and for a number of years afterward, I was definitely a NO on designer stuff. I'm like, WHY, when you can piece it together yourself for much less? Now after years of being here, I've seen so much great stuff from PSers, that's it's actually made me sort of insensitive to it. Most of it is just meh (to ME, not that it's a meh piece...just that I've seen 95% of it before). Now I can see some of the beauty in some designer pieces that can't be copied (or at least, can't be copied all that well) and would be fine paying a premium for something I loved. Especially when I've seen some attempts to copy around here, and I think - well, would have been more worthwhile to pay more and get exactly what you want.

And finally - pink. I used to detest the idea of pink on jewelry. Now I like rose gold and delecate pink stones (I love my padparadscha). I just got a necklace with teeny faint pink diamonds in them, and I love them. Now I want a pink diamond ring, but I know that's never gonna happen!!!

One thing that's stayed consistent? I have never changed my mind about not wanting a diamond toe ring, no matter how cute I think they look on others! ::)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock

I never thought I'd like two tone jewelry, and now I'm dying for a two tone watch and some earrings.

I used to really dislike briolette's until I tried on a beautiful pair at a jewelry store. Now I NEED some for my wedding.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

I'm a colored stone girl at heart and was never keen on diamond rings but I now own a transitional cut diamond ring and an old mine cut diamond ring.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Yeah.

Used to hate high karat yellow gold, coz my mother would only buy that.

Now I have to dig it all up....

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

I used to hate all yellow and rose gd, but now I am finding myself branch out into materials other than whitegold.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock

Yellow gold....I used to HATE it but after seeing such beautiful jewejry here at PS, I am IN LOVE :love:

It makes me REALLY regret giving away all my YG a few years back....

I think the reason I hated it is bc I was young and just following trends.....what a FOOL I have been.

GamerGirl

Shiny_Rock

I was a yellow gold hater too! But as I've been looking at various stacking rings (gemstone - not diamond) I'm loving how some of the YG pieces look. I'll have to go try some on in person and see if I think it still makes my skin tone look green.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a ton of yellow gold, and now I am not that crazy about it. I went through a bracelet phase, and wore a bunch at one time
even. Now I hardly ever wear any-and I must have 20-30. Such a waste. Many times, I don't wear a RHR either.

I do wear a watch, earrings and a necklace and erings every day. Now, they are all in white gold or platinum which I used to hate.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I used to dislike yellow and rose gold and now I really like both.

I used to think solitaires were boring and now I own one and love it.

I used to think plain bands are boring and now I'm aching to purchase a plain RG band.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

seems like most people are in agreement about one thing: used to hate yellow and rose gold, but are now loving it! :twirl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was a colored stone girl for years and now I've been buying and wearing more diamonds than CS. EC and Ovals were my favorite shape, then I went for all rounds because I wanted more sparkle now I am drifting back to EC, ovals and now like cushions.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock

Circe, LOVE THIS: "(First World problem alert!) "

Classic :bigsmile:

ive found, and still find, bracelets uncomfortable. I try every now and then but dont stick at it - and im used to wearing a watch so i think its just a matter of building up tolerance. On my wishlist is a plain, round solid white gold bangle and id hope to wear it as an everyday piece...

speaking of tolerance, ive even lost my tolerance for necklaces - i used to wear them a lot but now that i havent in awhile every time i think to put one on it irritates me - they feel sooooo heavy, even the light ones!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I could never imagine wanting a plain gold wedding band, I just HAD to have something covered in antiquey-style engraving. While I still love my engraved wedding ring, I alternate it sometimes with a plain 2mm YG band which I now REALLY love!

And white gold - I never thought I'd buy a single piece, it looked too 'silvery' for me, but I've really come to love diamond jewellery (anything with lots of claws/prongs like tennis bracelets, eternity rings, studs etc) in white gold. The bands on all my rings are still YG, but with WG claws, and my bracelet, studs and eternity are all WG.

OH, and chunky jewellery! I used to love my chunky gold padlock bracelet and matching necklace, with my heavy gold bangle, and hoop earrings, and watch, and chunky dome ring... and I've sold most of it! I now much prefer finer, sparkly things :lickout:

purselover

Ideal_Rock

Haven|1305164707|2919266 said:
I used to dislike yellow and rose gold and now I really like both.

I used to think solitaires were boring and now I own one and love it.

I used to think plain bands are boring and now I'm aching to purchase a plain RG band.

Do it!! I love my plain rose gold band and wear it all the time!

As for me, I used to hate yellow gold and be indifferent to rose but now I love both! I'm actually craving sometype of yellow gold necklace at this time. Which brings me to my other change, I used to never mix metals but now I wear silver and yellow gold with my rose gold wedding set.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Diamonds. But only old cuts and low colors.

Except for my mom's ering. (Princess, H or I?)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

I never liked white metals until I wore platinum for the first time. Now I have quite a few metal pieces--though I will never give up my great love for yellow gold (preferably high karat).

I actually was never very interested in diamonds until my 25th anniversary when I got an AGS 000 ideal cut. I had always like my engagement ring, but never wanted anything much else. Obviously I have changed my mind on that.

I also never liked sapphires much, though they are my birthstone. I always thought of them as dull, navy blue stones without much glow. Now I have seen some lovely lighter blue sapphires on P'scope and think they can be pretty. but I still don't want any more sapphires--unless they are yellow. But not interested in that right now.

I never cared for rubies either--I prefer garnets. Havent' changed my mind on that.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Never wear my sapphires at all.
Only saving them because one day I may have a daughter in law or grand daughter who likes blue and wants them.
I just don't like the color blue that much. I had very nice aquamarines that I ended up giving away because I never ever wore them. I don't wear blue clothes actually either--unless someone gives them to me. Then people say how the color suits me but when I go to the store, I head straight for the red, yellow, pink, orange section-a iittle bit green, but NEVER blue. I wouldn't even want Princess diana/Kate Middleton's (Duchess of Cambridge, I mean) ring, looks nice on them but disinteresting to me entirely.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Never liked my birthstone, opal... hated it until I saw one on Barry's site that reminded me of a planet... so i bought it. AND I LOVE IT!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I used to be a white guy.
Now I'm a colored guy.

Ninna

Shiny_Rock

Yellow gold :saint:

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock

I hated white metals for years. Like the first 28 years of my life. Then I got a monogrammed silver set from someone who did not know I did not like white metals by telling me I had so much yellow gold, they thought I'd like something different. Well.....they were right!

I have sets in just about every shape of sterling monogrammed jewelry (pendant, bracelet, ring, earring) which is very Southern and have added a good bit of platinum and 18kwg to my jewelry drawers, too!

Currently I am leaning towards chalcedony, which I never cared for, but got a piece with it recently as a gift and find myself wearing it. A lot!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results