shape
carat
color
clarity

A desperate plea for help...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maxpower3

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''ve been lurking on here for awhile, trying to educate myself to eventually purchase an engagement ring. Unfortunately, the time has now come and I''m as confused as ever.

I''ve been to several local jewelers (chain and otherwise), and I''ve visited websites like Bluenile.com. I''m looking for a simple platinum solitaire setting (no side stones) with a princess cut diamond. I''d like the diamond to be about .90 - 1.0 carats. My budget is about $4,000 for the entire ring (setting and diamond). As far as what cut/color/clarity, etc. I''m looking for, I don''t really know. I guess I want a diamond that, overall, looks elegant, flawless, and just worth what I paid (if not more). Neither me nor my girlfriend is an expert diamond appraiser, so I''m not really interested in having something that would "wow" a jeweler--I just want something that will "wow" her and other diamond novices.

What do you guys think? I was thinking about buying from bluenile.com, but I''m a little bit apprehensive about purchasing such an expensive item from an internet retailer. What do you guys think of that site? Is there any downside to purchasing from bluenile.com?

Thanks a ton for any advice.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve purchaed from them and other Pricescope internet vendors and would do so again without hesitation. The only "down side" that I can think of with Blue Nile is that if you want to upgrade your diamond at a later time, there is no upgrade policy from them. Other internet vendors do have upgrade policies.

maxpower3

Rough_Rock
What internet vendor would you recommend I visit?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one, maybe, if you're willing to go for I color: http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/31224.html Girdle says "very thin" but AGS 0 cannot have a very thin girdle, so don't know what's up with that. I like the table: not too big, not too small. Might as well have it called in for analysis.

edit: it seems that diamond is over budget, and either I made a mistake, or Excel made a mistake.

1. http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/29183.html could be a nice option, worth calling in. price point is nice. is the biggest of the three I'm listing here.
2. If eye-clean and performance is not negatively affected because of inclusions, an option if you need the stone under 3K http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/31186.html
3. http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/23176.html smallest of the three

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Just as I was typing, JulieN comes to the rescue as I hoped she would.
1.gif

mnkystarnes14

Rough_Rock
I have the same feelings and criteria for my diamond hunt as well! I have been searching for about 3 months.. and what i have done is send each of the vender''s customer service reps my needs. they have replied back with numerous choices.

NOT TO BE BIASED.. but I have found James Allen''s cutomer service to be very helpful and they have given an additional discount if i choose them (due to being in PRICESCOPE)

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH!
41.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2006 3:24:51 PM
Author:maxpower3
Hi,

I''ve been lurking on here for awhile, trying to educate myself to eventually purchase an engagement ring. Unfortunately, the time has now come and I''m as confused as ever.

I''ve been to several local jewelers (chain and otherwise), and I''ve visited websites like Bluenile.com. I''m looking for a simple platinum solitaire setting (no side stones) with a princess cut diamond. I''d like the diamond to be about .90 - 1.0 carats. My budget is about $4,000 for the entire ring (setting and diamond). As far as what cut/color/clarity, etc. I''m looking for, I don''t really know. I guess I want a diamond that, overall, looks elegant, flawless, and just worth what I paid (if not more). Neither me nor my girlfriend is an expert diamond appraiser, so I''m not really interested in having something that would ''wow'' a jeweler--I just want something that will ''wow'' her and other diamond novices.

What do you guys think? I was thinking about buying from bluenile.com, but I''m a little bit apprehensive about purchasing such an expensive item from an internet retailer. What do you guys think of that site? Is there any downside to purchasing from bluenile.com?

Thanks a ton for any advice.
I think the best deal can be had at BN *IF* you''re prepared to take the risk of it not being a great stone. You''re going to get no feedback on it other than a cert and maybe a crappy sarin. If you know enough to whittle it down and then can afford (time and money) to have it sent to you so you can further evaluate it... it can be the best deal. If you *don''t* have all of that then I wouldn''t just make the assumption that a better deal is truly a better deal and I would work with a vendor who can scope out a beauty for you at not much more $.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2006 3:34:21 PM
Author: maxpower3
What internet vendor would you recommend I visit?
Whiteflash and Good Old Gold

maxpower3

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m talking to an online retailer, and I''ve been given a selection of four stones...what do you guys think? Should I keep looking or are any of these stones worth ending my search?

Shape: Princess Princess Princess Princess
Carat weight: 1.05 1.06 0.95 1.01
Cut: Premium Premium Premium Ideal
Color: I I G G
Clarity: VS2 SI1 S I1 VS2
Certificate: GIA GIA GIA GIA
Depth: 74.6 72.3 75 71.8
Table: 72 76 67 71
Polish: Very Good Very Good Excellent - Ideal Excellent - Ideal
Symmetry: Good Very Good Good Very Good
Girdle: Medium to thick
Culet: None None None None
Fluorescence: None Faint None Strong
Measurements: 5.48*5.31*3.96 5.63*5.60*4.05 5.29*5.21*3.91 5.56*5.53*3.97
Price: $ 3,720 $ 3,670 $3,760 $ 3,700

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think I like the last one, but you have to ask them if the strong fluorescence causes any bad appearance in the stone, like cloudy.

I like a pretty high color, especially in a princess, since I think the princess will show up color more than a round. That is why I like your G selection.

I have a princess, depth 68.4, table 73. Polish and symmetry are both only good. Has extremely thin to very thin girdle. All these things could be considered defects, yet the stone is as pretty as it can be. It has E color which helps.

I think you have to take your best shot and get the stone in front of you and return it if it is not good.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you buy from BN you should really go through igive.com. They donate a % to your favorite charity.

maxpower3

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of this diamond? Should I keep shopping for a larger, similar diamond, or should I pursue this one?

Price: $3,700

Carat weight: 0.87

Cut: Very Good

Color: E

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 74.4%

Table %: 75%

Symmetry: Very good

Polish: Very good

Girdle: Medium to very thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.34 x 5.19 x 3.86 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.03

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results