shape
carat
color
clarity

A Cut Above testimonial + brand preference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiehardSearcher

Rough_Rock
I can't believe how easily I could have been taken when I began my quest for that perfect stone nearly one year ago. I have spent the past year educating myself, examining hundreds of stones around town, and refining my criteria.

I really love the combination of the brilliance of a finely cut diamond as well as what I consider its simplicity (it seems to have a "cleaner" look to it...not quite as busy inside). So, I have been researching the branded cuts. I have come to the opinion that there doesn't seem to be any real superiority between them, more a matter of opinion and preference. I would love to hear other consumer's opinions on which brand they prefer.

I recently spent a few hours with Brian at Alpha looking at some truly beautiful stones. Brian was straightforward in his answers to all of my questions, and devoted several hours of his time to me. I am currently considering the stone I came to see. Although there was no question he was attempting to sell me the diamond, it was obvious that he has a supreme passion for his work. I really got the impression that he enjoyed educating me on the many facets of diamond cutting, and could go on for hours; which had I not needed to get back to the office I would have stayed for. If I end up purchasing my stone from him through Whiteflash, I feel I would have no regrets.

Ok, one final question: The stone in question is an AGS I color. My criteria has been G-H, but decided to see this one as well. It faces up so white that I could not pick it out between any G-H, but I'm concerned about side viewing set in platinum. I will set it in something similar to a Tiffany style 6-prong setting, should I be concerned about seeing the yellow?

This post was much longer than I intended, thanks for reading.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
I would love to hear other consumer's opinions on which brand they prefer.
----------------

There's a difference between branded cuts and just brands. There are a lot of branded round brilliants, but they are all basically the same cut, and most require a practiced eye to tell apart.

There are also a *lot* of proprietary cuts out there, ranging from minor modifications of the classic 57/58-facet round brilliant to some really inventive designs. Not all of them are appropriate for an engagement ring, but it really depends on your taste.

I have never been all that enamored of round brilliants, but that's just me. I prefer the distinctiveness of an unusual cut to maximum brilliance (although some of these new cuts are at least as brilliant as your average round). I gave my wife an emerald cut when we got married 11 years ago (she loves it), but were I getting engaged today, I would strongly consider one of the octagonal cuts like Tiffany's Lucida or the Lucere. I also like the J.C. Millennium, which is a 16-sided brilliant with a zig-zag girdle. Were my fiancee *really* open-minded, I might even give her one of Freiesleben's Context Cuts, which is an 8-facet octahedron. Not very brilliant to be sure, but certainly memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results