shape
carat
color
clarity

A Cushion By Any Other Name...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Cushions are very popular right now and many people have come to PS to get help in finding one. Unfortunately, there are many different cuts that can be called "cushion." It can be confusing to decide what one wants and frustrating to find it, especially when a cert. doesn't give a clear idea of what a stone will look like. So, I tried to compile some of the more common "cushion" plots and pictures that I have come across in my own cushion quest. Yes, I know that the plot on a cert does not neccessarily match the stone, but it does seem that there is usually a correlation (excepting L:W, which is never the same!). I also know there are plenty more kinds of cushions out there, but I thought this was a start.

The plots I'm posting are mostly from GIA certs (except where noted) and most of them actually "belong" to the stone they are pictured with. Some of the pics aren't great, so if you have a better one, please post it with its plot!

I'll try to post a few others that I couldn't find pics for, (or pics with no plots) and if you guys can send me one, I'll edit or repost so they go together. MMM would you please post the plot from your stone(s) with a good pic? Any one else have something different?

ETA: I think this should just be callled a "Cushion Brilliant." opps!

cushionplotpic1%20copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

cushionplotpic2 copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

cushionplotpic3 copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

cushionplotpic4 copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

cushionplotpic5 copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock

cushionplotpic6 copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
This one''s at GOG, but no pics up yet...

cushionplotpic7 copy.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This is very kool fatafelice! Thanks!
36.gif

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea fatafelice.
1.gif
I''ve often wondered what the different cushions look like and the Gem Advisor software never worked for me when I went to the Good Old Gold cushion cut reference page. Thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hi! "CUSHION BRILLIANT" on the cert...

picofcert.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm Borrowing this from GOG b/c I have crappy pix of my stone. This looks exactly like mine! I guess it's called a "modern cushion" although I don't think many call it that...I guess it's not too much different from others

cushionweb.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
MMM - That''s what''s interesting. I thought that is what you had posted as the plot for your stone, but it is the same plot as the H&A stones on the GOG website! Is yours decribed as a "Modern Cushion" on the cert? Maybe that''s the difference?

Keep ''em coming!
21.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link, Maya!

Here''s another one that doesn''t have cushion in the name, but was listed as one and has a "cushion-y" shape...

cushionplotpic8 copy.jpg

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
This is interesting. This is Maya''s stone, which has the same plot as my #3, but looks more like MMM''s stone, and it is called a "Cushion Brilliant" rather than a "Cushion Modified Brilliant." I don''t know, maybe all of this is pointless? There definitely doesn''t seem to be as much consistiency on the part of the GIA as I thought...

cushionplotpic9 copy.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
off topic but curious. Does fatafelice have meaning? It is such a pretty name and in Portuguese and Spanish felice means happy.

Thank you for your interesting pictures and faceting diagrams, this is very useful information for both the public and the vendors.

Wink

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
interesting stuff.

i didn''t think that OMC''s were considered cushions?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Fountain Fair Fax''s ring is an OMC Cushion her ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t know there were OMC cushions...can an expert chime in on this? I always thought the old cuts like OEC''s and OMC''s etc were their own style of cut. Sure they could be cushiony shaped or roundy shaped but I thought they always had their own designation. In the searches for cut of stone, usually OMC and Cushion stand separately just like OEC and RB etc.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara "cushion" shape in a colored gem refers simply to the outline that is squareish round or oval.
It is common in corundum (Ruby and Sapp) because of the barrel crystal shape

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Fatafeli- there is no such thing as a "modern cushion" really....And I think that vendors outside of ps would look at you like you had 3 heads if you said "modern cushion"...they'd be like...no, it's not antique... LOL...

It's just "cushion brilliant" on the cert and it looks just like the square H&A on the plot...

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for the input!

Wink: I *think* it means "happy fairy" in Italian, but that''s my two years of college Italian coming into play. I made have just made up a very non-sensical word.
2.gif

Mara: I definitely agree that OECs and OMCs are their own cut. I''m just using the term "cushion" to refer to anything with a pillowy shape or outline. While looking for cushions, it seems like there aren''t many OMCs listed by vendors (even the antique and estate places), but many stones that look to be OMCs listed as "cushions." Then again, I''m not positive. Maybe Dave Atlas will chime in. If they are techinically different, then I will take them out the thread.

MMM: Interesting. Your stone is looks very different than the H&A (in a good way
2.gif
), but they have the same plot on the cert? I would like to see the real facet structure of each. They have to be different, whether GIA thinks so or not!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds too Garry?

If it''s just a ''cushion shape'' rather than a ''cushion'' a type of cut for OMC...that makes more sense.

coconut

Shiny_Rock
Thanx for the compilations fatafelice.
This actually is extremly informative.

I think cushion cuts vary so much that people have different preferences within the cut.
It kinds of gives an approximate look of the stone by looking at the certificate.

So what would diamondgirl777''s ''Cushion be? (one of my favorites)
Diamondgirl''s cushion picture

Hmm....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Fata...I love the mod cushion b/c it looks like an organized disco ball :) And they face up so darn well for fancies!

It has been my understanding that the old mine cut is also ref'd to as a cushion...so it would belong here :)

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
MMM: I agree, and your modern cushion is just stunning. I am having a very hard time deciding exactly which kind of cushion I want!
40.gif

Coconut: Wow! I think I somehow missed that one, but it is the cushion of my dreams!
30.gif

She decribes it as being a "Cushion Brilliant" on the cert, but it doesn't look like the two (H&A or MMM's "Modern Cushion"
2.gif
) that we have seen with that designation. It looks like an older cut to me, I *think* maybe an OMC, with a smaller culet, but I'm not sure. Hmmmm, I'll have to do some more research!
34.gif

cushionpic10 copy.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/12/2005 11:33:55 PM
Author: fatafelice

... a 'Cushion Brilliant' on the cert, but it doesn't look like the two (H&A or MMM's 'Modern Cushion' ) that we have seen with that designation. It looks like an older cut to me...

The spot in the middle should be an open culet, the facetslook like an old-mine's - but the symmetry is almost too good to be true. Could it be a recently cut diamond in the Old Mine pattern? There are some...

One example of such a thing was mentioned HERE.

DiaGemOMC.jpg

A modern 'old mine' cut:

2.03 cts.
7.00x7.09 mm.
78% total depht
52% table
Crown height 25%
Pavilion angle 46%
V. Thin Girdle
culet: Large
F- VS1

Btw... that thread does something similar to this - it lines up a dozen or so types of cushion cut too.
34.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Ana. I agree that a newly cut old mine could be an option for that one. And I love that thread! That is the thread that got me started on cuhions and I used it as a jumping off point for this one. I just wanted to try and get all that info, with some extra, into one place and organized so that it would be easier to make comparisons. I hope I accomplished that!

And thank you, Pricescope, for putting this thead in the FAQ! I hope that it can help others in their cushion quest! I''ll add more if I find it.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Fata!
And that cushion is also one of my favs here. It''s stunning. Looks like a true find....looks a bit antique ... but looks like a great cut....

Doesn''t hurt that I think it''s about 5 cartats? If I recall correctly! I''ll take it :)

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I LOOOOOOVE this one that is currently at GOG!!!! If only that culet was more round-y...

ETA: this is not the actual plot for this (much cleaner) stone, but it otherwise looks the same...

cushionmodifiedbrilliant.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2005 6:54:08 PM
Author: fatafelice

If only that culet was more round-y...
What a sweetie... Thanks for bringing this up!
1.gif
Those large facets look vintage and that is very nice, IMO.

I wonder if the ''keel'' was not meant to keep the angles even on both sides - which should be a good thing as much (=little) as I can tell.
38.gif
Jonathan?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results