shape
carat
color
clarity

A couple question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goblue

Rough_Rock
I was shown the following diamond and I have some quick questions for all the experts out there.

Round cut
2.02 carats
VS-1
I color
61.7 depth
57 table
The dealer didn't have the angles available at the time
EGL Certificate
asking price $10,000

1. I've heard that EGL is more lienent than GIA on their grading for clarity, is this true for color as well?

2. Will an I color diamond appear yellowish face up in a platinum band? Also, will the color affect the stone's brilliance?

3. I compared the price to those on pricescope and it was well below everything listed, should I be suspicious? I've seen the diamond, and the dealer has very good references.

Thank you in advance to all those who respond. I've been reading this forum for a while and it is a great resource.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
1. I've heard that EGL is more lienent than GIA on their grading for clarity, is this true for color as well?

Correct. It is always a good idea to check EGL and IGI gradings with independent appraiser

2. Will an I color diamond appear yellowish face up in a platinum band? Also, will the color affect the stone's brilliance?

Depends on cut quality and how sensitive are your eyes. Color doesn't affect brilliance (if it is not fancy color of course). Quite contrary, brilliance can affect your perseption of color so lower grade color can look whiter for better cut stones

3. I compared the price to those on pricescope and it was well below everything listed, should I be suspicious? I've seen the diamond, and the dealer has very good references.

Well you might find a great deal. But again, you'll need to check the stone with independent appraiser (you'll need appraisal for insurance anyway). Or you can ask your vendor to send the stone to GIA or AGS. As you can see, if color and clarity are one grade off, it won't be too low price anymore.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the diamond is priced as if it was about a GIA grade darker in color or a GIA grade lower in clarity, then it likely is actually a bit different in GIA terms. Egl uses their own grading system and I don't believe it exactly equates to GIA grading in all cases. You might ask them directly, but they did not answer me when I asked this question. Probably you will get the same lack of response, but who knows?

Actual price is a very good determinant of actual quality. Very few people will give away a diamond for less than it is worth, but if the quality is a bit off and the cert "reads well", then there is a bit more room to lower the selling price. I hope you can understand what may be going on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results