shape
carat
color
clarity

A couple of questions about my engagement ring...

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Sorry that this is so long!

I posted here when I first got engaged, back at the beginning of December. I was concerned about the symmetry of the prongs on my setting. Since then, I have had it worked on a few different times at the same jeweler. I'm still really not sure that I'm happy with the symmetry of the prongs. I understand that some minor asymmetry is expected, since diamonds aren't 100% symmetrical, and also because princess cuts apparently show asymmetry more than other diamonds. I have attached a few pictures - would you say that the difference in the prongs is acceptable, or that they should be more symmetrical?

Also, a little background information on the diamond: my fiance and I picked it out together at a local, reputable jeweler. They pride themselves on great cuts, and they have great reviews. It is a GIA-graded 1.53 carat princess cut, F color, SI1 clarity (totally eye-clean - the grade-making inclusion is a crystal, and I believe that it's white, and not dark-colored, followed by clouds and an indented natural), with excellent polish and excellent symmetry. I don't have the report with me right now, but I remember that the spread is 6.37 mm x 6.34 mm, and the table is 71%, with a 71.6% depth.

I know that the numbers probably can't tell us much, but I am just curious about the expected amount of sparkle that a well-cut diamond projects in various lighting conditions. It was difficult to tell the difference between the different diamonds at the different jewelry stores (they all sparkled like crazy in that lighting), but it definitely sparkles a ton at the mall, on elevators, and in some of my house lighting (I don't even really have to move for it to shoot off tons of tons of sparkles). Under the lighting at work, though (I work in a hospital, with florescent lighting), and when I'm outside but then sun is behind the clouds, it sparkles much less. I guess my question for those of you with well-cut diamonds is, do they still sparkle a ton in these lighting situations? I truly do believe that my diamond is beautiful, but I want to make sure that it is well-cut and that it gives off the expected amount of sparkle.

What are everyone's thoughts? The jewelry store does offer an upgrade option, with no minimum purchase amount. If it came down to it, we could pick another diamond. They only have GIA and EGL-certified stones, but they have a very large selection. I could also bring it to another jeweler to fix the prongs, if there is a way that they could be fixed further. I doubt that the original jewelry store would know the difference, since the changes would only be minor.

Thoughts? Thank you so much for your help! :)

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

betty6333

Shiny_Rock
I think the prongs look fine. The one in the bottom left seems to hang just a little lower than the other side, BUT your diamond is probably the reason for it,and the jeweler isnt going to be expected to get things to the very very minute detail that we all would like. Every ring is going to have its details that make it asymmetrical when you magnify it.

I have a 1.5 ct princess cut and I had it reset as I hated the cathedral setting it was in ( due to symmetry and style issues). When it comes to prongs though you have to expect very minor variations if you take a picture and magnify it 100 + times.

if you had not asked about it, I would not have thought twice about the prongs. they look great a first glance and I am sure it looks great IRL!

I have learned over the years that very very few people will even notice a ring and what matters is that you enjoy how it looks. Wear it and let it make you smile, and of course clean it often and with a good cleaner and when the plating on the white gold dims polish and replate it. Making sure it is "dipped" periodically will keep it looking like new!

stci

Ideal_Rock
The prongs seems perfect to me and the diamond tooooooooooo! Gorgeous!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marquiseluv|1294538228|2817888 said:
I think the prongs look fine. The one in the bottom left seems to hang just a little lower than the other side, BUT your diamond is probably the reason for it,and the jeweler isnt going to be expected to get things to the very very minute detail that we all would like. Every ring is going to have its details that make it asymmetrical when you magnify it.

I have a 1.5 ct princess cut and I had it reset as I hated the cathedral setting it was in ( due to symmetry and style issues). When it comes to prongs though you have to expect very minor variations if you take a picture and magnify it 100 + times.

if you had not asked about it, I would not have thought twice about the prongs. they look great a first glance and I am sure it looks great IRL!

I have learned over the years that very very few people will even notice a ring and what matters is that you enjoy how it looks. Wear it and let it make you smile, and of course clean it often and with a good cleaner and when the plating on the white gold dims polish and replate it. Making sure it is "dipped" periodically will keep it looking like new!

ditto that. Well, they probably could make it perfect by the loupe, but I'd hate to see the labour surcharge on that job!

Your ring is beautiful and the prongs look totally fine to me :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results