shape
carat
color
clarity

A chance at a Redo....

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of you have seen my stone, but I posted it just in case.
The other day, I was at an estate shop that sells, buys and trades. The jeweler asked to see my stone and asked if he could make me an offer. I said that I wasn't interested in selling it, but I would play along. He inspected it and showed me the Rappaport Orange sheet, and basically gave me a verbal appraisal. Then, he made me an offer. He offered me 80% of what I actually paid for it last year. The Rappaport Price he quoted me is 50% more than what I actually paid for my stone. I realize that price is not what any person would pay me if I was selling it, as they would be buying it second-hand, and I wouldn't dream that I could ever sell it for that amount.
TBH, I was surprised that he offered me 80% of what I paid, since I have heard that many people lose a lot more when they try to sell their preowned diamond, and we are talking about ideal cut diamonds here. My diamond is not ideal cut and is a K color, VS2 and is EGL USA certified. When he inspected it in the setting, he agreed with all of the specs. and added that is a very good cut.
So, here I am contemplating my next move.
I used to own a 1.43 EGL USA G VS2 round with a good HCA score (there is a link here to that), BUT, I was never crazy about the cut. I bought it pre PS and learned to like it, but never loved it. With this stone, a 2.20 K VS 2, it really depends on the day. 70% of the time, I love it. But the other 30%, I regret the color and wonder what it would be to have an ideal cut.
I am fully aware that I opted for size rather than quality or color. If I do sell it, I would probably only be able to afford a 1.5-1.7 with ideal cut, G-H color, VS2. I would never again be able to wear a 2.20 carat because although I can afford to pay for the upgrade, I want to stay sane when it comes to diamonds and not spend too much money. In fact, I appreciate the fact that I have some equity in my stone right now, and that is part of the issue. I fear that if I go overboard and buy ideal specs, kind of like buying a luxury car (which I do own), I will never have equity again. Am I wrong about this? I'm trying to be practical about a first-world problem, I know.
My husband is not in favor of this because he says my ring is plenty pretty and that PS is getting to my head. Also, he has no gauge of ideal cut diamonds because I have the nicest ring in my social circle, so he doesn't understand why I am even considering this.
Sorry for the long post. If you have any advice, I am all ears.
I know that the first step is to get an independent appraisal if I choose to sell the ring, and take it from there. image_1915.jpg

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Well- if it's any consolation- I think your ring is spectacular... I would also fear that while you would have an ideal cut, most likely you would be the only one to truly "know." After the excitement of the hunt for your new diamond was over, I would be concerned that you would suffer from DSS... Just my opinion. It would be hard to go down in size, unless you were planning on haloing it. I am currently suffering from DSS now! I am looking at resetting my diamond into a halo, as upgrading would push me into spending $35k plus to make it worth my while. I have a 2.5 OMB now, and moving to a 3 ct with my specifications would be expensive. I think I am much more comfortable with a $5-7k reset... Either way good luck! your stone is lovely and has a lot of character!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if you checked with Brian Gavin Diamonds and/or GOG about the possibility of a re-cut of your current stone? If it is a good candidate, maybe you wouldn't lose very much carat weight and the tweaks would result in a brighter, livelier stone which may make your enjoyment factor go up to 90-95% instead of the current 70%...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful. Just don't think about PS ... sometimes PS can really mess with your head.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1406249913|3720148 said:
I think your ring is beautiful. Just don't think about PS ... sometimes PS can really mess with your head.
But that's our job.. :wink2:

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Who made your setting? This is the first I'm seeing your ring and it's really exquisite! Are there princess cut stones on either side of your center stone?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MonkeysInk|1406250691|3720157 said:
Who made your setting? This is the first I'm seeing your ring and it's really exquisite! Are there princess cut stones on either side of your center stone?

Thank you! Yes, they are princess cut stones which are actually low in color and match my stone perfectly! I bought it stock so I don't know who makes it.

TruLuv858 and CharmyPoo: Thanks for your advice and compliment. It really gives me some perspective

marymm: thanks, this idea may be worth looking in to!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot imagine saying goodbye to your beautiful set.

As some one who found PS five years ago, while looking to reset her stone, I know learning about Ideal cuts, etc, can all but make you crazy. For a while I felt disheartened that I was "only" going to reset, and not upgrade. That's when I learned to visit the "show me" threads, which contain stones of all shapes, sizes, colors, and so on, and you know what? There is more to a stone than those stats. Not that it isn't important to learn what you can when you are buying, but I was not, and you don't have to be in that spot right now.

In my case, my stone has family history, and I've figured out it's a transitional cut. The K color gives it personality, the SI1 clarity, more personality as well as what this Irish American thinks of as '"freckles," though thankfully, eye clean. I'm sure your gorgeous stone has it's own great story, right?

When I get the PS crazies, I stop and just LOOK at what I have. It's beautiful, and set the way I want it to be. YOUR stone is BEAUTIFUL, and big, and sparkly, set in a special setting of it's own.

Enjoy your gorgeous rings, and if you need to, take a break from PS. I've done it, myself.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, this GOG video really helped me with my similar PS mind clean issues regarding cut quality (HCA specifically and light leakage). Hope it helps you too. I calculated the HCAs of stone 2 and 3, 2.8 and 3.9, respectively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocNn5LgGCc

Also, your eternity band is so perfect with your ring, what size are the melee? I agree, your diamond and settings look wonderful!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luvdajules|1406298082|3720476 said:
Hi OP, this GOG video really helped me with my similar PS mind clean issues regarding cut quality (HCA specifically and light leakage). Hope it helps you too. I calculated the HCAs of stone 2 and 3, 2.8 and 3.9, respectively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocNn5LgGCc

Also, your eternity band is so perfect with your ring, what size are the melee? I agree, your diamond and settings look wonderful!
Thanks for posting the video. I would pick stone 2 over stone 1.

nala, my suggestion is to go see some ideal stones in person before making your decision.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You first need to decide what you really DO want, and go from there.

Maybe modern rounds are not your thing?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your current diamond and rings are gorgeous. I believe you'd miss the size if you got a smaller diamond even if you put it in a halo - it would still be a lot smaller diamond. I will have to watch that video tonight but we all know specs and stats don't guarantee a diamond will perform great or be a stinker.

I agree that PS can push us towards wanting something that maybe we don't necessarily need. I bought an ACA recently and now I am obsessed with getting ACA studs. But I'd have to pay about $4000 to get the same size of studs I already have and I can't realistically convince my self they will look THAT MUCH better than the $1660 pair I have on my ears right now. I even took my WF hearts viewer to look at my no lab graded studs and guess what? They showed perfect arrows. They sparkle and shot off fire just fine yet my PS brain keeps saying but they aren't super ideal! So I definitely feel your pain with this decision.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1406312921|3720587 said:
I think your current diamond and rings are gorgeous. I believe you'd miss the size if you got a smaller diamond even if you put it in a halo - it would still be a lot smaller diamond. I will have to watch that video tonight but we all know specs and stats don't guarantee a diamond will perform great or be a stinker.

I agree that PS can push us towards wanting something that maybe we don't necessarily need. I bought an ACA recently and now I am obsessed with getting ACA studs. But I'd have to pay about $4000 to get the same size of studs I already have and I can't realistically convince my self they will look THAT MUCH better than the $1660 pair I have on my ears right now. I even took my WF hearts viewer to look at my no lab graded studs and guess what? They showed perfect arrows. They sparkle and shot off fire just fine yet my PS brain keeps saying but they aren't super ideal! So I definitely feel your pain with this decision.

Wow I should proof read better. I meant my WF arrows viewer. :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your current ring, Your setting is so gorgeous!!! I love that it' s unique.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say that I really love your set...it's beautiful! If you're truly unhappy though...you could sell the current ring, but you could keep it and not wear the e-ring for a while, then put it back on in a few weeks, months or however long you like to see what you think about it then. I sold a ring a couple of years ago, and have had several moments when I wished I wouldn't have, but too late. ha ha I've taken several breaks recently from PS, and that helped me figure out what I really love...now just gotta save the funds for it, and it will probably be diamond first, custom setting later.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:) :) :) thank you for saying this..my 1.64 stone went from what I thought was pretty awesome to average. :) I decided to love it anyway.

CharmyPoo|1406249913|3720148 said:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you regret going down in size despite having better specs? If so, that's not the route for you. You said you love this set 70% of the time. With a smaller diamond of better specs, would you love it 90% or 50% of the time? I do like your set as it is. :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1406511784|3721707 said:
Would you regret going down in size despite having better specs? If so, that's not the route for you. You said you love this set 70% of the time. With a smaller diamond of better specs, would you love it 90% or 50% of the time? I do like your set as it is. :))

Thanks to all for your responses. I appreciate that I'm not the only one who feels that maybe PS standards are affecting the way that I view my diamond. To see if I would be happier a greater percentage of time with a smaller, ideal cut stone, I think that I'm going to buy myself a 1.8 cubic zirconia solitaire and wear it for a while! If I find that I like it better, I may opt for the sale of my stone. Thanks for your ideas!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
nala|1406597981|3722253 said:

Thanks to all for your responses. I appreciate that I'm not the only one who feels that maybe PS standards are affecting the way that I view my diamond. To see if I would be happier a greater percentage of time with a smaller, ideal cut stone, I think that I'm going to buy myself a 1.8 cubic zirconia solitaire and wear it for a while! If I find that I like it better, I may opt for the sale of my stone. Thanks for your ideas!

Good plan! Get a well cut fakey though to give you the true sense of the real thing.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nala|1406597981|3722253 said:

Sounds great! Hope you can find the diamond you love most.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results