shape
carat
color
clarity

A Bittersweet Tourmaline Ring Project in Memory of My Pup

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
I have decided to embark on a ring project in memory of my little shih-tzu who very recently lost his battle with kidney cancer. I was lucky enough to have him for 16 years and when we received his diagnosis in November '15, he was still behaving sprightly and puppy-like. He was with me through thick and thin and despite being blind during the last 10 years, he demonstrated strength and perseverance by facing his disability and he went through life as if he could still see all of the great things that life has to offer. Over and over, he stole my heart and I admired him a lot. We don't have kids, so he and our other shih-tzu (who is 18 and still with us), were our babies and added a lot of fun to our household. Anyway, he remained that vibrant and playful up until the last couple of days he was with us, and his last day was spent with him being very lethargic but he still had it in him to give kisses and snuggle. I held him in my arms and kept him comfortable throughout the day, making sure to tell him everything I could have ever wanted to tell him from my heart. That night he left us, he took his last breath in my arms and passed very quickly.

Because his birthday was in October, I thought it would be special to have a ring made with his birthstone, the tourmaline (I didn't want an opal) and was looking for guidance on finding one that was honey-colored/peachy-golden, or maybe a cognac (I am choosing those shades because his fur color was a deep honey shade), and either an oval (first-choice) or round/cushion shape, that is eye and/or loupe-clean and well-cut. I don't know how to best-select tourmalines and am hoping it would be bright and sparkle. My budget for the stone is between $250-$300. Later, I will move on to the next step of choosing a setting but for now, I saw some David Klass designs which were simple bezels that had a nice beaded-detailing around the bezel, so maybe something like that in rose gold.

Would you be able to help point me in the right direction? Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: A Bittersweet Tourmaline Ring Project in Memory of My Pu

Septembergirl,
I am very sorry about the passing your little furbaby. I'd love to help out if you can provide some guidance.

1. Budget = $300
2. Stone = Peachy / Honey tourmaline
3. Shape = oval, round, or cushion
4. Size = you aren't expecting anything too large, right?

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1461862582|4024653 said:
Septembergirl,
I am very sorry about the passing your little furbaby. I'd love to help out if you can provide some guidance.

1. Budget = $300
2. Stone = Peachy / Honey tourmaline
3. Shape = oval, round, or cushion
4. Size = you aren't expecting anything too large, right?

Thank you Chrono! Correct, nothing too large. He was petite, and I picture the stone being in the 6mm-9/10 mm range if it were an oval. I am good with the color of the stone having more brown or golden tones (no pinks) since he had that color of fur that resembled a jar of honey. I would prefer to keep the stone budget definitely below $300 to then build the budget for the setting. The oval is my first choice but I wasn't sure if the bow-tie effect is also prevalent and noticeable in tourmalines like in diamonds so I do want to try and avoid a bow-tie if that is an issue to look out for.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am very sorry for your loss. As a fellow fur mom (no kids for us either), I can totally relate. I'm lightened by the fact that your baby's last moments were spent with you.

It's just over budget at $350 but I immediatley thought of this one posted on loupetroop.

tourmaline.jpg
https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...t-precision-cut-apricot-tourmaline-nearly-4ct

Is that the color you're looking for?

arabella

Shiny_Rock

Oh septembergirl, your story made me a little misty-eyed. My dogs are my babies so I empathize with you. I feel like this project will help you heal, and how wonderful that you'll have a pretty ring to keep his memory close.

I think you have some great options so far, wanted to add in another. I'll keep looking/keep an eye out for you.

https://mastercutgems.com/Products-...llow_Tourmaline_1_92_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1
Maybe too pale?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arabella|1461864048|4024665 said:
Oh septembergirl, your story made me a little misty-eyed. My dogs are my babies so I empathize with you. I feel like this project will help you heal, and how wonderful that you'll have a pretty ring to keep his memory close.

I think you have some great options so far, wanted to add in another. I'll keep looking/keep an eye out for you.

https://mastercutgems.com/Products-...llow_Tourmaline_1_92_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1
Maybe too pale?

+1, I got teary at my desk. What a beautiful tribute to your fur baby. My dogs are my babies as well, so I adore the sentiment of this.

What about some of these:

1) a little big/pricey and also not a tourmaline, but I think it really captures the "honey" color: https://www.etsy.com/listing/230387796/gorgeous-honey-zircon-gemstone-from?ref=shop_home_active_66

2) Wrong shape, but another version of "honey/sunset" color: https://www.etsy.com/listing/196924885/pretty-sunset-tourmaline-gemstone-from?ref=shop_home_active_118

3) Maybe too small, but great color, tourmaline, and oval: https://www.etsy.com/listing/272941024/gorgeous-yellow-sunset-tourmaline?ref=shop_home_active_133

4) May be too dark: https://www.etsy.com/listing/263579973/180ct-7mm-spectacular-faceted-sunset?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sunset%20tourmaline&ref=sr_gallery_1

5) I love this color, but don't know this vendor. He seems to have good reviews on Etsy, but I havent had any personal experience. https://www.etsy.com/listing/171051709/sun-burst-tourmaline-round-designer-cut?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=honey%20tourmaline&ref=sr_gallery_25

Sorry, more choices from Litnon
http://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10787&id=46015 (maybe too dark)?
http://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=10774&id=45978 (LOVE this color, IMHO)
http://www.litnon.com/viewgem.php?gemid=9909&id=42526 (maybe too orange)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Septembergirl, Thank you for sharing the story of your pup and what you are doing to memorialize him. I'm not looking for stones right this minute because you have the SWAT team of stone 'discovery' already at work here! I want to add that some of life's biggest lesson's seem to be affirmed or delivered by our beloved pets.........so glad you had him in your life and so sorry he is gone now... :cry:

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

First, I want to thank ALL OF YOU for your kind words and for helping me. I can't believe how many great stones were found and your input means a lot!

The stones you all shared from the links managed to capture colors I really like and those colors are beautiful. I looked carefully at each page and from all of the the ones from each post, I like these the most so far:

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...each_Tourmaline_1_73_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...llow_Tourmaline_1_92_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263579...arch_query=sunset tourmaline&ref=sr_gallery_1

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry for your loss :( I hope you feel ok again very soon.

nojs

Shiny_Rock

septembergirl: I'm sorry for your loss. I think the ring will be a nice token to remember him by. It sounds like you took great care of him and gave him the best possible life he could have. I hope the memory of him lives on.

Q

Queenie60

Septembergirl - I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved doggie. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Take care and I hope you find a very special stone in his memory. :wavey:

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

I wish I could include the quote replies from all of the condolences because I want to write back to each but then I think my post would be very long. Again, thank you.

There are moments when I walk around different parts of the house just expecting to see him there like I always used to and then to realize that he is never coming back and that I won't get to hold him again...it hurts. He used to follow me everywhere, I think partly because he couldn't see so it was important to him to always be close to me. This is the first time I've ever been through the loss of a pet and the mixture of both love-filled and longing emotions is unreal.

I'm trying to keep our routine the same and as normal as possible for my other dog and he is such a sweetheart and he was a good older brother to the little one. I'm making sure to add some different and fun little distractions here and there (not too much though because I don't want to confuse him) and give extra affection and attention.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

septembergirl|1461876960|4024811 said:
Regarding this stone, https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...-GemMedia.php?FromPage=2&ProductMediaID=29068

Is there a way to tell from the picture if it is it a well-cut stone that will be bright?

It's kind of hard from the picture, but they are SUPER helpful and will give you a good opinion (and in the past when I shopped with them they took the time to take extra photos as well. You could always send rachelle a photo and ask if she thinks it's the right color). They also have a very good return policy and are quite good to work with. I've bought two from this vendor, one (topaz) was a little lighter and brighter than I expected, the other (blue zircon) was a little better color than I expected, actually, and performed exactly as described (in that case she even made some suggestions and did a 'lineup' of stones to see how they looked when compared directly together). From my two purchases I would expect this one to be bright, but I think others here could speak better to it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

septembergirl|1461876960|4024811 said:
Regarding this stone, https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...-GemMedia.php?FromPage=2&ProductMediaID=29068

Is there a way to tell from the picture if it is it a well-cut stone that will be bright?

IMHO, anything cut by Dana (which this one is) will be well-cut, since he's an incredible artist. As far as "brightness", I'm not entirely sure how bright it will be in real life. However, I know that Dana is very willing to answer questions from prospective buyers and is an all around great guy. So I think if you are wondering about brightness I'd ask him :)

Also just for your reference, the etsy stone is from a super nice guy who is also very willing to provide extra pics (on-hand pictures always help me more than the ones against a white background when I want to judge color).

Basically I think you have 3 great choices from nice vendors who will answer questions, give more pics, and be super helpful. I"m really excited to see what you decide :appl: :appl: :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to say I'm very sorry about your pup. It is obvious you loved him so much. I am sure he had a wonderful life with you.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

Just wanted to give my condolences as well to a fellow fur mom and to say how well this project is going for you already. PSers are so great to help and I see you have many options to choose from. This ring will definitely be a special tribute to him.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

I showed my husband the options (he was really impressed with how beautiful the stones were and went on a tangent exploring some of the other gemstones on the websites, lol) and the softness and faceting of the peach-yellow 1.92 from Master Cut appealed to him a lot. It's the one that I was drawn to the most and he said not to wait so I bought it. I can't wait to see it! :))

Thank you all again and I will share real life pics when it arrives!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

septembergirl|1461895098|4024910 said:
I showed my husband the options (he was really impressed with how beautiful the stones were and went on a tangent exploring some of the other gemstones on the websites, lol) and the softness and faceting of the peach-yellow 1.92 from Master Cut appealed to him a lot. It's the one that I was drawn to the most and he said not to wait so I bought it. I can't wait to see it! :))

Thank you all again and I will share real life pics when it arrives!

Yay! I'm so happy to hear that you made a choice, and it's a great one! I think it will be lovely in person, and how wonderful that your husband helped in the process :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Very sorry for your loss, Shih tzus are the sweetest little dogs. The yellow tourmaline is very pretty and what a lovely way to remember him by.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hope you'll love it as much, if not more, when you see it in person. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am so sorry about your sweet pup and wishing you the best of luck with this lovely project commemorating the love and life you shared.
Hoping this will bring you sweet and happy memories. (((Hugs))).

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.:(

I think your project sounds very special and meaningful to remember your pup by, and how wonderful your husband was also involved in the process. Please post the photos of the Mastercut gem when you receive it, I hope it is what you're looking for.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry for your loss! What an amazing dog and you are an amazing owner! This will be auch a beautiful memorial ring and I can't wait to see it done. Glad you went with that stone!

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

Thank you for the warm thoughts---I really do appreciate them!

I received a shipping notice today so it looks like the stone will arrive on Monday. I've also been in touch with David Klass to create a bezel design (I had previously seen one on here that I fell in love with and it belongs to puppyguts and hers was an elegant and beautiful ring). He is a class act and I am looking forward to the creation process. I plan to have the stone set east-west and will decide on the metal color once I see the stone in person. I'm wondering too if I should have my little one's name engraved inside the ring---not sure yet.

Will keep you all posted :wavey:

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock

My tourmaline arrived and it's perfect! I wish my iphone was able to better-capture the peach tones in the stone because it leans more toward a warmer honey color in real life and isn't as neutral as these pictures are showing it to be.

img_11649.jpg

img_11650.jpg

img_11651.jpg

img_11652.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Congrats on getting a beautifully heartwarming gem! :love: Please keep us informed as this beautiful remembrance becomes your ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results