shape
carat
color
clarity

A bit worried - new earrings and possible white gold allergy

My sweet husband gave me a beautiful pair of sapphire and diamond earrings for my birthday recently. Three days after getting them I noticed a rash under one ear (not in the piercing or on the earlobe itself), and the next day I was much worse with the rash over my neck, face and ears. The earrings are set in 18K white gold, and I do not have any other white gold pieces. I really like the earrings. They were not custom, and came from a local store. Am I jumping the gun assuming it is a white gold allergy? My mom thinks it is hives due to the stress of the season, but I have not felt unduly stressed (but it is a bit of a stressful season). I did not even know you could be allergic to white gold until I did an internet search trying to figure out what was going on with my skin!! The earrings are the only thing new in my routine. What do you suggest? Anyone have experience with a white gold allergy?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: A bit worried - new earrings and possible white gold all

Are they dangly? You say it wasn't just your ears but also your neck, right? Just wondering if they are dangly or studs

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock

I recently made the same discovery - that I am allergic to white gold, even 18K. I have very sensitive ears and cannot tolerate silver or gold plated earrings. I always wore 18K yellow or rose gold, and assumed that I would be fine with white as well. After ordering a custom piece, I learned (the non-refundable way) that I cannot wear white gold.

That being said, the reaction I get shows up directly around the piercing - anywhere that the gold touches my skin. With a very severe reaction, it shows up on my eyelids as well.

I would be surprised if you are reacting to the earrings, given that the reaction is not originating from the points of contact. I hope you are not allergic. Your earrings sound beautiful.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The allergies to white gold are normally a reaction to nickle in the gold alloy that leaches out very slowly from the metal. If you find that to be the problem and you really want to wear those earrings it is often possible to make up small platinum pads and posts that can be welded to the earrings in place of the original posts in order to have only platinum against your skin. It's not a cheap fix, but it does work.

nojs

Shiny_Rock

You could also try a thick rhodium plating. I have very nice (and expensive) studs that gave me an allergic reaction, and took them to the store where I bought them, and they did a thick rhodium plating and I haven't had a problem since. Rhodium plating them is easy and should not affect resale value, so maybe you could try that before any platinum parts. Of course the plating will wear off with time, but it can be redone.

I wanted to update that the rash had nothing to do with the earrings! It turns out my face cream had been reformulated, and that was the problem. I have been wearing the earrings almost daily with no problems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results