shape
carat
color
clarity

A 2 ctw diamond studs with chunky halo — too big for everyday?

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
Dear PSers! Hope everyone is doing well!
I’ve decided to get bigger diamond studs (already have 0.85 tcw with jackets) and placed a custom order in our friends’ friend’s shop. My husband bought diamonds about 1.1 carat each GIA XXX K VVS2 and asked to make studs with delicate halo. I wanted no airline and flush sitting central stones. But when I got them I was a bit disappointed because they used 5 pointers in halo and the airline was also present (smaller than in my previous ones though).
So now I’m in doubt— should I redo them but it will be quite a loss in money (and also my husband is not happy because it was his present and he thought that I’d like it). Also I’m living in Myanmar and there’s a problem with logistics so these studs were almost lost at bus station on the way to my home.
My main concern is that they may be too big for everyday wear. But maybe I’m not accustomed to them yet.
63360A90-2E61-4E92-B2D9-417CFF578550.jpeg
the upper studs are new ones

8C164511-CCC8-4D86-B5F8-B2D7F5634D57.jpeg

975D2BA8-A556-443E-85B5-99E01EC981C8.jpeg
These studs on my ear

8B5DB92A-2AC6-4BFB-ADCA-C6DF1F117192.jpeg
Previous studs with jackets
4B5AACA1-5DBB-4803-B7E8-957F84B9962C.jpeg
Side profile. The new ones at the left

974CBF5A-1C79-46A3-BD83-13462D4AA55B.jpeg
Another side by side

Attachments

• 2AFE13D4-88E7-4BC0-BB0E-2DBE19E5E033.jpeg
    2AFE13D4-88E7-4BC0-BB0E-2DBE19E5E033.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
I’m also thinking if tint of my K’s will be more visible with smaller stones in halo and no airline? Now I can see tint only in some lighting but not every time

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
You have a nice number of earring choices there. If it was me, I'd keep everything as it is, if it would be costly to get rid of the airgap. The airgap also makes the overall earring look larger and showier imo.

For everyday, I'd wear the smaller earrings with their halos or the larger earrings without the halos. And save the largest and showiest earrings (larger diamonds with larger halos) for special occasions.

But of course if you really aren't happy with the larger halos' airgap and feel like you'll always regret keeping them, that's different. JMO

ETA: Yes, I'd think the K tint would be more noticeable right up against higher color diamonds, but I don't know how much difference it would be.

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@seaurchin , thank you for your response!

I’m trying to decide if the new studs are too big for me. I’ve planned to wear them as everyday earrings but 5 pointers in halo could be too flashy..
I don’t like much my previous studs because they showed too much metal and also stones set in high profile (so look like protruding from the ear). The new ones are very comfortable because of flat base, the only issue is the size.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, posting as someone who has a larger pair of diamond earring jackets on her bling wish list, I would save the bigger pair for dressier occasions, and spend the money to reset the existing pair into a setting that the OP likes for daily wear instead.

Although I believe the larger pair is nice, they do look a tad big on your earlobes.

All IMHO.

DK :))

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@dk168, thank you!!
I thought I should’ve ordered just plain studs without the halo. I wanted larger studs with less metal. But then changed the order to delicate halo. So this halo was a total surprise 8)
Interesting, is it possible to divide this studs to make just plain martini with center stone and to turn the halo into jackets?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168, thank you!!
I thought I should’ve ordered just plain studs without the halo. I wanted larger studs with less metal. But then changed the order to delicate halo. So this halo was a total surprise 8)
Interesting, is it possible to divide this studs to make just plain martini with center stone and to turn the halo into jackets?

Personally, I like the larger earrings as they are myself, however, my big fat earlobes can take earrings as big as 20mm!

If you do not like earrings to sit high on your earlobes, then I would advise against opting for the Martini setting.

In addition, when the stones are big, Martini setting has the tendency to droop unless big earring back is used.

It is definitely possible to reset the new earrings as two separate components, a pair of plain studs, and a compatible pair of earring jackets.

I would strongly advise for them to be reset at the same time by the same bench, so as to minimise the air gap/line that you dislike.

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@dk168, thanks a lot for your advice! I’ve decided to visit this bench someday and discuss the possibility of resetting with them. They located in another city and I’m afraid to loose these studs in the process of shipping.
I’ll try to wear them and decide if I like this setting.. I hope they don’t look too gaudy on me :oops: IMG_0390.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168, thanks a lot for your advice! I’ve decided to visit this bench someday and discuss the possibility of resetting with them. They located in another city and I’m afraid to loose these studs in the process of shipping.
I’ll try to wear them and decide if I like this setting.. I hope they don’t look too gaudy on me :oops: IMG_0390.jpeg

Not gaudy at all, very glamorous IMHO.

However, I understand why you would feel uncomfortable by their size - I am guessing DSS as in Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome has not affected you yet!

DSS is real and it affects some more so than the others. Hence one could find many threads on the subject of upgrades.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no right or wrong here. It's what you prefer and what you enjoy. Bling is for us. Not others. IMO

I don't think it looks too big with the halo and I like the air gap. I think it looks gorgeous on your ears.

I personally prefer when the stud falls within the lobe and not outside of it and it looks like your halo and studs do just that. Fall within the lobe so to me it is a pleasing aesthetic though again it is 100% personal preference and no right or wrong choice here.

Here's what I mean by falling within the lobe and not outside it

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 6.59.15 AM.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

These look great! When to wear would depend on the local customs and safety, but they are quite dressy.

I would re-set the smaller studs into a setting that makes you happier.

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@dk168, thank you! I think DSS is already in place! I felt that my 0.85 ctw studs became too small but it was too much jump in size with the new haloed ones.

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@missy, thank you for your response! Yes, the halo falls within a lobe (about 1 mm of the lower part of the lobe could be seen). I also prefer the earrings to fit the lobes. I have bigger studs with tourmalines and I dislike them because they are a bit larger than my earlobes. BTW your studs are awesome, they are so beautiful!

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@MMtwo, thank you! Here people often wear quite blingy pieces to work or during the day but I wouldn’t risk to travel with them :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MMtwo, thank you! Here people often wear quite blingy pieces to work or during the day but I wouldn’t risk to travel with them :)

Wear whatever you feel comfortable with.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
First, they are lovely and do not look gaudy.

Second, if you are not thrilled with them, don’t settle. Husbands’ feelings are important so if that is a concern, maybe wait a while before changing them. You did specify no airline so even though he got you studs with a halo as requested, the airline was not what was requested, and it is possible to be grateful for the gift while wanting to tweak it at the same time. Since you have another pair of earrings with a halo, and since you are not completely thrilled with the new set, I recommend waiting a bit and then redesigning by dropping the halo and/or using the new stones as a jacket instead. Incidentally, a ring with a 1 carat center and quality 5 point side stones would be stunning…

Third, IMHO they do look overdressed for everyday wear, but tastes vary.

No matter what you have beautiful pieces. Enjoy!

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@oncrutchesrightnow, thank you for the advice! Probably it would be better to reset the new pair to simple studs and jackets. Actually I’ve asked to do micro pave (may be about 1 or 2 pointers like on this photo, that I’ve send to jewelers) but maybe I was misunderstood. I cannot say that I don’t like the new studs but need to get accustomed to them :) 24E6BED6-53F0-4A88-8DE8-B377FD12E039.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For this style I like the settings where the diamond halo is a jacket that can be added or removed as needed so the set can go with everything! So that is the direction I would personally go.

Eugeniya

Rough_Rock
@Dreamer_D, yes, I also think like this. The only reason why I ordered the studs with halo was the option of making it without airline and with low sitting central stone (and smaller stones in halo). So will try to redo this setting to simple studs with jackets in the future

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results