shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant Ideas for chipped stone

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been searching the forum to learn more about setting chipped stones.

The sensible way to do it with a ring is to bezel or set it in a recessed setting.

But how about in a pendant? I couldn't find information regarding setting a chipped stone in a pendant, so I'd like some help in evaluating some options.

Unlike a ring, the pendant doesn't meet with as many opportunities to smack/hit/meet with impact. Would it then be okay to set the stone prong style, as a solitaire or in a halo? The stone has a couple of chips and an extremely thin to thick girdle.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm interested in the advice you're given here as I have a stone that is too fragile for its ring setting anymore (my avatar)... I think a pendant is a great idea. Have you seen any you particularly like? Do you like a Pavé style?

I'm really taken with the Georgian style collet setting at the moment because stones that old are rather expected to have some 'wear' and a chip wouldn't be a surprise to anyone, as it were. It has prongs, but also supports the stone with a cup of metal around it.

JPie started a thread showing her new pendant here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georgian-omc-in-collet-setting-with-gold-chain.238896/

What do you think of this?

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
I'm interested in the advice you're given here as I have a stone that is too fragile for its ring setting anymore (my avatar)... I think a pendant is a great idea. Have you seen any you particularly like? Do you like a Pavé style?

I'm really taken with the Georgian style collet setting at the moment because stones that old are rather expected to have some 'wear' and a chip wouldn't be a surprise to anyone, as it were. It has prongs, but also supports the stone with a cup of metal around it.

JPie started a thread showing her new pendant here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/georgian-omc-in-collet-setting-with-gold-chain.238896/

What do you think of this?

I actually would love to have a recessed milgrained octagonal style setting, something like @dreamer_dachsie ring. But I am not sure I can find someone locally in Singapore to make one to precision like the PS jewellers. So thinking of the easier halo/solitaire options.

The Georgian collet has an even more vintage look! It also provides the illusion that the stone is larger than it is! Which is a very good thing ;)2

I can’t see the side of the collet, is it a wall that covers up and above the height of the girdle? Maybe @JPie can advise. Yay to more ideas!

Here is dreamer_dachsie’s recessed ring which is serving as my inspiration for the pendant. I hope it is ok to repost her photo.

90770E0C-C449-4B75-8739-E3AFECCCE673.jpeg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond used to be foiled, with a closed back. When they converted it to a pendant, they cut open the back and removed the foil. The sides extend straight back and give some protection to the culet. 9587631E-0B6C-4F6E-AEEA-E76C11DFF66E.jpeg 1A6B2F5A-AD85-4184-A085-4C81D53F59EB.jpeg 1D689DD5-94FE-4C06-BF04-BDF819D97177.jpeg

Last edited:

missyminx

Shiny_Rock
Wow thank you @JPie. Your pendant is so unique! :love: The photos are very helpful. It is good to know it protects both the girdle and the cutlet. Is it comfortable on your skin? Once I have my stone I'll show these photos to my jeweller and ask if they can do something like that.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I actually would love to have a recessed milgrained octagonal style setting, something like @dreamer_dachsie ring. But I am not sure I can find someone locally in Singapore to make one to precision like the PS jewellers. So thinking of the easier halo/solitaire options.

The Georgian collet has an even more vintage look! It also provides the illusion that the stone is larger than it is! Which is a very good thing ;)2

I can’t see the side of the collet, is it a wall that covers up and above the height of the girdle? Maybe @JPie can advise. Yay to more ideas!

Here is dreamer_dachsie’s recessed ring which is serving as my inspiration for the pendant. I hope it is ok to repost her photo.

90770E0C-C449-4B75-8739-E3AFECCCE673.jpeg

Have you seen @Rare gem lover ‘s pendant that she has listed on LT? I’m mentioning it as she had it made by her Singapore jeweller, and the style, if not exactly what you referenced, seems close:

https://loupetroop.com/listings/nec...8k-white-gold-pendant-setting-for-a-6mm-stone

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
The diamond used to be foiled, with a closed back. When they converted it to a pendant, they cut open the back and removed the foil. The sides extend straight back and give some protection to the culet. 9587631E-0B6C-4F6E-AEEA-E76C11DFF66E.jpeg 1A6B2F5A-AD85-4184-A085-4C81D53F59EB.jpeg 1D689DD5-94FE-4C06-BF04-BDF819D97177.jpeg

Thanks PJie for adding those photos, I hope you don't mind that I shared your post. Your necklace is staggeringly beautiful.

Come to think if it, I had already contacted a PS-approved vendor to help me set some other rose cuts in this style (a ring though) and then I became indecisive about the prongs versus claws, and got paralysed unable to 'see' what I wanted the finished ring to look like. Now I think the solution is to put the ring project aside and inquire about having an Homage to your necklace made with my .9 OMC. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?
:)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thank you @JPie. Your pendant is so unique! :love: The photos are very helpful. It is good to know it protects both the girdle and the cutlet. Is it comfortable on your skin? Once I have my stone I'll show these photos to my jeweller and ask if they can do something like that.
It’s very comfortable! I don’t feel the culet at all.

Thanks PJie for adding those photos, I hope you don't mind that I shared your post. Your necklace is staggeringly beautiful.

Come to think if it, I had already contacted a PS-approved vendor to help me set some other rose cuts in this style (a ring though) and then I became indecisive about the prongs versus claws, and got paralysed unable to 'see' what I wanted the finished ring to look like. Now I think the solution is to put the ring project aside and inquire about having an Homage to your necklace made with my .9 OMC. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?
:)
I’m flattered! It’s nice to see antique styles making a comeback.

I saw your thread about your rose cuts and they’re lovely! Would you have them set like this?
714E01C5-BF5E-4EAA-90B8-D4C4576BDB32.png

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@JPie yes that's it! Exactly!
I got stuck on the choice between claws and flat tabs for prongs and went around and around. Maybe it's fate that the pendant gets made first. I'm slowly realising that I'll wind up with a Demi-parure of Georgian style diamonds by the time I'm finished. There are earrings to be made as well.
Sigh.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results