shape
carat
color
clarity

Need expert advice on an upsetting situation.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
So I am in a dilemma and truthfully, the matter is pretty much closed but my obsessional thoughts are making me wonder if this diamond will be “perfect enough.” My fiance bought me a GORGEOUS 1.3ct RB classic 6 prong Tiffany Engagement Ring. Below are the stats and this diamond had tons of fire which I loved and Was noticed by everyone. The problem is that when it was shipped out for sizing through Tiffany’s, it was lost. I’m devastated and although the company has been attentive and took full responsibility for the situation, nothing will bring back my ring. Everyone I spoke to thought that the company should go above and beyond but they definitely went with lateral replacements which I guess I understand. They offered 2 replacement rings and their stats are also uploaded in PDF form. Fast forward to today...I chose the last one (or 2nd attached PDF) because although I originally had an SI1, it was perfectly eye clean with the only crystal inclusion under a prong. The SI1 diamond they showed me (first PDF attachment) had a cloud, feather and crystal, 2 of which were under the table facet. I had to request to have a second option to view, hence the 3rd diamond which I ultimately chose because it was higher clarity, VS1. However, I am obsessing over the fact that the table is 59% and worried that even though all other angles seem on point and it looked pretty that once I get it back from sizing (tomorrow or Thursday) and I see it in familiar daytime lighting at home, I’ll notice that it doesn’t have as much fire as my original ring which had a 56% table. I have a decent amount of diamond knowledge and know that you can’t just look at the numbers but this situation has been so upsetting that I am overanalyzing the numbers. Tiffany’s doesn’t offer an ASET scope image and I didn’t have my own personal scope to bring so I don’t have those. My original ring scored a 1.5 HCA score. The second diamond scored a 2.2 and the 3rd diamond which I chose scored a 1.5. Any expert advice out there or thoughts to ease my mind would help so much. Thanks guys! sad :((
E2AA21FF-FB62-4ADF-84A1-D6CE4F497A91.jpeg

Attachments

• EN_35645381 (3).pdf
    562.8 KB · Views: 85
  • EN_35645381 (3).pdf
    562.8 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: AV_

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh OP, I am so sorry about the loss of your engagement ring! My original engagement ring was stolen, so sympathize with you.

Now onto the replacement diamonds. It is great that T&Co is offering you a replacement with better clarity, but the cut of both of these diamonds is very different than what you originally had. Your diamond had a high crown of 15.6% which produced the fire you liked.

The replacement stone has a lower crown at 14.6%. The 59% table is not worrysome, it is still in the medium range, but it is larger compared to what you had. That paired with a lower crown angle will produce a brighter stone that exhibits more scintillation and probably reduce fire a bit.

I would ask a T&Co to offer stones with higher crown angles for your consideration while still keeping the angles complimentary.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Ahh OP, I am so sorry about the loss of your engagement ring! My original engagement ring was stolen, so sympathize with you.

Now onto the replacement diamonds. It is great that T&Co is offering you a replacement with better clarity, but the cut of both of these diamonds is very different than what you originally had. Your diamond had a high crown of 15.6% which produced the fire you liked.

The replacement stone has a lower crown at 14.6%. The 59% table is not worrysome, it is still in the medium range, but it is larger compared to what you had. That paired with a lower crown angle will produce a brighter stone that exhibits more scintillation and probably reduce fire a bit.

I would ask a T&Co to offer stones with higher crown angles for your consideration while still keeping the angles complimentary.

Hi and thank you for your quick reply. That makes sense...my original ring had a higher crown and more depth. While I like the fact that the replacement diamond holds more carat weight up top and shows with a wider spread, I’m nervous that it will have less fire. Now, if it is slightly less and barely noticeable, that would be fine. I was comparing videos of it next to old videos of my original ring and it’s hard to tell because they are in such different lighting.

Also, I’m SO SORRY to hear about your ring being stolen. That is awful! I hope that you were able to have it fully replaced :(

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and thank you for your quick reply. That makes sense...my original ring had a higher crown and more depth. While I like the fact that the replacement diamond holds more carat weight up top and shows with a wider spread, I’m nervous that it will have less fire. Now, if it is slightly less and barely noticeable, that would be fine. I was comparing videos of it next to old videos of my original ring and it’s hard to tell because they are in such different lighting.

Also, I’m SO SORRY to hear about your ring being stolen. That is awful! I hope that you were able to have it fully replaced :(

I would wait to make the final call until you see the ring in person. You might love it and it seems that T&Co will be willing to offer you further options, if you are not happy with the replacement.

Yes, your old stone did face up slightly smaller compared to the new diamond, but the difference is probably pretty negligible, although it is nice to “break” the 7mm mark. The new stone has lovely proportions, so I do think that it will be a lovely diamond. Post pics once you receive it!

Thank you and it is ok, it’s been 2 years now and I changed many rings after that :oops2: No ring will ever be the first one, but you will be surprised how quickly we can get used to new diamonds. I really hope that you love your replacement!

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
I would wait to make the final call until you see the ring in person. You might love it and it seems that T&Co will be willing to offer you further options, if you are not happy with the replacement.

Yes, your old stone did face up slightly smaller compared to the new diamond, but the difference is probably pretty negligible, although it is nice to “break” the 7mm mark. The new stone has lovely proportions, so I do think that it will be a lovely diamond. Post pics once you receive it!

Thank you and it is ok, it’s been 2 years now and I changed many rings after that :oops2: No ring will ever be the first one, but you will be surprised how quickly we can get used to new diamonds. I really hope that you love your replacement!

Yes, since they are rush sizing it in NYC today and shipping back to my local Tiffany store, I should receive by Thur. I will then be able to see it at home in the familiar lighting which I viewed my original ring. That will give me a better sense of comparison. My only concern is if I am not happy, will they allow me to exchange it or since it has already been sized, would I be stuck with it. I wish I asked them that but I believe that they still accept exchanges.

And yes, I guess we can grow attached to new diamonds. I hope that happens for me! So glad to hear that you have a new ring. I hope that it wasn’t too much of a hassle finding a second best.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, agree with @SimoneDi and there's a good chance the new diamond will have better overall scintillation and brilliance than your original stone. Many people also have preference of larger table for that reason, so unless your taste is skewed for high fire, you could end up really liking the stone. It also depends on the lighting you're generally exposed to. I would've been so furious and I am so sorry this happened to you, but I really hope for a good outcome.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, since they are rush sizing it in NYC today and shipping back to my local Tiffany store, I should receive by Thur. I will then be able to see it at home in the familiar lighting which I viewed my original ring. That will give me a better sense of comparison. My only concern is if I am not happy, will they allow me to exchange it or since it has already been sized, would I be stuck with it. I wish I asked them that but I believe that they still accept exchanges.

And yes, I guess we can grow attached to new diamonds. I hope that happens for me! So glad to hear that you have a new ring. I hope that it wasn’t too much of a hassle finding a second best.

I can’t imagine that T&Co. will give you a hard time, if you want to exchange this ring, considering that they lost your ring in the first place.

I am keeping my hopes high for you and I really hope that you like your new ring even more!

It will be different, but again, it hasn’t lovely proportions, higher clarity and is a smudge larger, so this entire situation might be a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Yes, agree with @SimoneDi and there's a good chance the new diamond will have better overall scintillation and brilliance than your original stone. Many people also have preference of larger table for that reason, so unless your taste is skewed for high fire, you could end up really liking the stone. It also depends on the lighting you're generally exposed to. I would've been so furious and I am so sorry this happened to you, but I really hope for a good outcome.

I never realized how much I loved fire until I had that ring but as long as this new ring still shows a lot of fire and scintillation, I’m sure I’ll be happy. As long as it isn’t a noticeable difference. You are also right, there are a lot of things that I do like about this ring as it does show large and the clarity upgrade is awesome! I am typically in varied lighting, thankfully not heavy fluorescent lighting. My patience is being tested and this is all I can think about until I get it LOL. It’s so hard to focus on other things and I keep researching diamonds, especially this forum haha.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
as long as this new ring still shows a lot of fire and scintillation
You'll notice plenty fire and scintillation at at 34.5/40.7 angle combo (sweet!). Please try not to worry too much, stress is so bad for health (I know... easier said than done), but one way or another Tiffany will take care of you given the situation.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
You'll notice plenty fire and scintillation at at 34.5/40.7 angle combo (sweet!). Please try not to worry too much, stress is so bad for health (I know... easier said than done), but one way or another Tiffany will take care of you given the situation.

Yea I think I’m just getting so hung up on the table size and being a perfectionist that I’m forgetting that all of the other measurements are on point, especially the crown and pavilion angles which are perfect...actually more perfect than my last diamond. I just heard that it may be ready tomorrow. Fingers crossed that I have time to go there before work in the late afternoon I’ll be sure to post a pic and let you know how I feel about it. Thank you again for your feedback!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
This one must be slightly brighter in the same light environment, so diffraction should be relatively more visible in low light. With both diamonds in hand it would be obvious how subtle these differences are.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
DAA556A4-1F85-4F5D-8AD1-D0CAA07ECB2E.jpeg 5016C7AD-7683-4AA2-A9A7-538D52D0647D.jpeg Got my new ring today and I LOVE IT! So happy to finally wear it and I love the balance of brilliance and fire. I tried to upload pics of its fire and brilliance but photos don’t do it justice. Thanks for easing my mind everyone

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah! So happy for you.
And you got an SI1 to VS1 Tiffany diamond upgrade!
I'm sure you're sentimentally still devastated to lose the original ring, but so glad you're loving the new replacement. :dance:
Please tell us of any difference you notice with this stone.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@J9Tiffany Ahhh your new ring looks stunning! So happy that you are thrilled with it after seeing it! There is something so special about an authentic T&Co solitaire and yours is simply beautiful. Even though your original e-ring was lost, the replacement that you received is just as beautiful and with upgraded specs!

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
6FA71952-11D2-43D6-9249-8A756D156A54.jpeg
Yeah! So happy for you.
I'm sure you're sentimentally still devastated to lose the original ring, but so glad you're loving the new replacement. :dance:

Yes! That is what my fiance said...It’s nice to have the VS and it is so eye clean even under the microscope! It is sad that my original ring is missing but it was nice that my fiance and I got to go to the store to view and choose this ring together. Plus, since it is my size...I’ve truly only worn this one so it actually feels like its the first HAHA. I guess the main difference that I notice is that this stone appears brighter Which is awesome and I’m really enjoying that! I’m pleased that all of the fire is there. If I had it next to my original ring, there’s a chance I could notice differences but based on pics and recollection, my fiancé and I can’t which is good. I found this other pic of it that captures some real beauty :clap:

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Yeah! So happy for you.

Yes! That is what my fiance said...It’s nice to have the VS and it is so eye clean even under the microscope! It is sad that my original ring is missing but it was nice that my fiance and I got to go to the store to view and choose this ring together. Plus, since it is my size...I’ve truly only worn this one so it actually feels like its the first HAHA. I guess the main difference that I notice is that this stone appears brighter Which is awesome and I’m really enjoying that! I’m pleased that all of the fire is there. If I had it next to my original ring, there’s a chance I could notice differences but based on pics and recollection, my fiancé and I can’t which is good. I found this other pic of it that captures some fire. :clap:
@J9Tiffany Ahhh your new ring looks stunning! So happy that you are thrilled with it after seeing it! There is something so special about an authentic T&Co solitaire and yours is simply beautiful. Even though your original e-ring was lost, the replacement that you received is just as beautiful and with upgraded specs!

Thank you!!! I agree and I’m so thankful that it worked out! :love:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
this stone appears brighter Which is awesome and I’m really enjoying that!
Yup, that's the pleasant side effect of the higher table stones with lots of white sparkles. :love:
I love Tiffany's but I've banned my husband from shopping there anymore because he was wasting so much money and I wanted better bargains. However, it's so special to get wedding bands and engagement rings from there.
My Tiffany is with me 24x7.

Your ring is sooo classy and gorgeous! Very glad this worked out!

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Yup, that's the pleasant side effect of the higher table stones with lots of white sparkles. :love:
I love Tiffany's but I've banned my husband from shopping there anymore because he was wasting so much money and I wanted better bargains. However, it's so special to get wedding bands and engagement rings from there.
My Tiffany is with me 24x7.

Your ring is sooo classy and gorgeous! Very glad this worked out!

Thank you! And yes...you def pay a premium for the Tiffany’s name...I’ll be the first to admit it but I do love this classic look. It’s also a sentimental brand to us because since we started dating, my fiancé always gets me a little treat from Tiffanys for holidays, birthdays etc. I never had anything Tiffany’s before that Enjoy your beautiful jewelry in good health and thank you again!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! And yes...you def pay a premium for the Tiffany’s name...I’ll be the first to admit it but I do love this classic look. It’s also a sentimental brand to us because since we started dating, my fiancé always gets me a little treat from Tiffanys for holidays, birthdays etc. I never had anything Tiffany’s before that Enjoy your beautiful jewelry in good health and thank you again!

Lol, I know, that's what my husband was doing for years, and after over a decade of that, I told him no more although so sweet. haha

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks fantastic on you. Glad you’re happy! This happened to a friend of mine when her Tiffany ring was being sized - LOST! Weirdness!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
DAA556A4-1F85-4F5D-8AD1-D0CAA07ECB2E.jpeg 5016C7AD-7683-4AA2-A9A7-538D52D0647D.jpeg Got my new ring today and I LOVE IT! So happy to finally wear it and I love the balance of brilliance and fire. I tried to upload pics of its fire and brilliance but photos don’t do it justice. Thanks for easing my mind everyone
Beautiful! Glad it all worked out.

J9Tiffany

Rough_Rock
Looks fantastic on you. Glad you’re happy! This happened to a friend of mine when her Tiffany ring was being sized - LOST! Weirdness!

Thank you! Woah!!! That’s horrifying to hear that! I was wondering how often this happens. They need to use a personal courier service and not fedex when they ship for service in NYC.Smh.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats! And good to hear the company went above and beyond to rectify a situation that they caused in the first place.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad this worked out for you and that you love your new ring - it is beautiful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results