shape
carat
color
clarity

Must have exercise equipment?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your must have exercise equipment?

I had forgotten that the company DH now works for offers an $800 per year reimbursement for purchasing home exercise equipment. Would love to build a nice at home gym since I actually exercise when it is at home.

What do you like to use? Best brands?

I'm considering either a larger purchase item or a collection of smaller. (Plus we get another $800 at the start of January...)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I'm right at this moment trying to build a home gym too, so will be interested to see what other people recommend.

So far, I have purchased:
- dumbells: 4,5,6,7,8 kgs. Will order 9 and 10kgs later
- barbell and discs: total weight 45kgs
- bench: can incline and lay flat
- squat rack
- kettlebell: 10kg

Would love a Smith machine. Alas, it's horrendously expensive.

I have a new PT whom I will ask for advice when we start training next week.

@TooPatient , may I ask what is/are your primary goal(s)? The equipment will differ depending on your goal(s).

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treadmill - I dont even know what brand ours is (I think DH got it from a thrift store that his Dad used to run). If I had to buy one I would definitely
not buy this one. The main thing I hate is that when the safety switch thinks you've fallen (and you havent), it resets all the readings so you dont
know how long or how far you have walked. I cant get threw one session without it re-setting everything. Its probably a low-end treadmill. If it breaks,
I want a better one!

Like Phoenix asked, I think it depends on your goals. Are you looking for aerobic workout or strength training/toning (or some of both).

BTW - thats a nice benefit your DH gets!

Also, to keep it from getting boring I listen to books on audio and/or watch TV while I'm doing it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gravity ...

then, a well adjusted jumping rope

- I always carry these with me ! (important for random travel)

The last would be weights ... both small (5KG - ish, used as 'gravity aids') & more serious for weight lifting (not as serious as @Phoenix does them !) . Obviously, I do not get to use these as much as I'd wish & tend to loose muscle condition for them ...

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My must have list:

1.My low impact amazing cardio and fun to do (yes it is I am not lying!) is my Cybex Arc Trainer. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. (so much fun we have 3 of them LOL). Worth EVERY penny.

2. Loose weights-cheap and functional and easy to store.

3. Pilates Reformer-a great way to do a low impact multi functional workout and a great complement to my cardio Arc trainer workout.

4. If you can get an additional piece of equipment I recommend a low impact bicycle. On those days you might not be able to do a more active workout this is at least a good something and very low impact though it doesn't do anything for bone density like the Arc Trainer. Still a good alternative for certain days (minor injuries etc).\

OK just took pics of my equipment. (it's super bright in here this sunny morning so I had to draw the blinds in the photos to be able to take these pics) HTH.

pilatesreformer.jpg

cybex.jpg

cybex.jpeg
stationarybicycle.jpg

and I'll add the treadmill. A good addition for a change in routine but I realize not everyone can keep all this equipment in their home. I am lucky my dh tolerates my working out obsession and need to have all this stuff. LOL.

treadmill.jpg

Good luck and happy working out! Moving always makes me feel better. Always. (When I broke my leg that was the most challenging aspect. Not the pain (which was bad) but the inability to move and get my endorphins going. I always remind myself of that when I am not in the mood to workout and it really puts things in perspective. Move it or lose it. You can do this!:appl:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beachbody on demand subscription. Dumbells, resistance bands, yoga mat.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops forgot my dh's favorite piece of workout "equipment". His TRX. Inexpensive and he loves it. We were both introduced to it when I was undergoing PT while I was rehabbing my healing leg. My dh loved it and bought one for each home and uses it every day. So definitely a recommendation from him. I want to start using it again to add to a well rounded workout but I seem to always run out of time. LOL.

Quick pic of it right now. He keeps it in his home office and it is so easy to store away. Takes up NO room whatsoever.
Thanks to my dh for being so tolerant allowing me to take this pic of him for PS. Haha.

TRX.JPG

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I love what you've posted, esp the TRX which I've used and really love.

Am I right in thinking that your workouts are mainly cardio-based? How often do you work out and how long each time? What results have you noticed that have stemmed from your workouts?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, I love what you've posted, esp the TRX which I've used and really love.

Am I right in thinking that your workouts are mainly cardio-based? How often do you work out and how long each time? What results have you noticed that have stemmed from your workouts?

Hi Phoenix. For me the benefits are many. First of all my blood pressure in the past tended to be on the high side. That's the primary reason I started cardio at he age of 17. Though before that I was on my high school's swim team so I guess that's something. But I didn't start a formal workout routine till at 17 my blood pressure was high and my internist suggested it. I also cut out added sodium as I found out I'm a salt responder.

Benefit two it quiets my mind. And gives me peace of mind. Quiets my tendency towards anxiety and lifts my sad moods. Perhaps benefit two is most important for me.

Benefit three it keeps me in decent shape. As you know metabolism slows especially at my age and working out keeps me feeling good as well as looking ok.

I love cardio and yes tend to favor those workouts. The arc trainer is weight bearing so it isn't just a cardio workout though it is primarily cardio. I probably do about 2 hours a day (arc trainer and Pilates) if we aren't cycling outdoors that day. I try to do 20 minutes of free weights 3 times a week.

I get muscle benefits from free weights and Pilates. Pilates lengthen my muscles and strengthen them and strengthens my core. Gives my abdominal muscles a good workout and gives it definition. Helps condition my whole body. And at age 52 I don't have many body complaints except for some usual gravity issues. Oh well. I do the best I can and feel good doing it and that feeling lasts after my workouts so the endorphin lift lasts.

I need to do better re weights. The arc trainer helps as it provides reisistance/weight bearing as does the Pilates but I could benefit from lifting free weights more. I just struggle with that as I find slow movements challenging. I do very few things slowly. :lol: As my dh says I'm always ina rush even when there's no reason to rush. It's somehow built into my brain. Do everything fast and furious. I'm working on it and working on slowing down. One day at a time.

Good luck with all your workout endeavors. And enjoy it. When we enjoy the workouts we do we stick with them.:appl:

Q

Queenie60

I have a Life Fitness GX spin stationary bike and use the Pelaton app on my iphone, hook it up to my apple tv and Bingo! I have a spin class daily!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome ideas!

I am looking for a good combination of aerobic, strength/toning, and flexibility.

Already have:

Treadmill (can't remember the brand, but nice wide & long track with incline settings)
Exercise bicycle (need to get new control panel as it isn't working right now)
Small weights up to 20 pounds
2 pound ankle/wrist weights
Jump ropes
Yoga everything (mats, blocks, bands, videos, balls, etc)
Resistance bands

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I'm right at this moment trying to build a home gym too, so will be interested to see what other people recommend.

- squat rack

@TooPatient , may I ask what is/are your primary goal(s)? The equipment will differ depending on your goal(s).

Weight loss, building healthy muscles (not like body builder shape but strong), and really just overall health.

Very cool you are building one too! I used to think about going to a gym, but that just never works for me. I never go and I really hate exercising around other people.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treadmill - I dont even know what brand ours is (I think DH got it from a thrift store that his Dad used to run). If I had to buy one I would definitely
not buy this one. The main thing I hate is that when the safety switch thinks you've fallen (and you havent), it resets all the readings so you dont
know how long or how far you have walked. I cant get threw one session without it re-setting everything. Its probably a low-end treadmill. If it breaks,
I want a better one!

Like Phoenix asked, I think it depends on your goals. Are you looking for aerobic workout or strength training/toning (or some of both).

BTW - thats a nice benefit your DH gets!

Also, to keep it from getting boring I listen to books on audio and/or watch TV while I'm doing it.

Yes, it is an awesome benefit! We had the choice of this reimbursement or a family gym membership. I'd rather add to our home equipment!

I bought a treadmill last year (main idea there was for our dog who needs to run LOTS even in super wet winter) on closeout from the previous year. Great way to get a nice treadmill for less money! (Ended up costing less than $800)
It is great that it has all sorts of settings and incline controls and pre-programmed workouts. It does not have a shut off safety and I have wondered if that is a problem, but (thankfully) haven't fallen so am not sure it makes a difference or not.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gravity ...

then, a well adjusted jumping rope

- I always carry these with me ! (important for random travel)

The last would be weights ... both small (5KG - ish, used as 'gravity aids') & more serious for weight lifting (not as serious as @Phoenix does them !) . Obviously, I do not get to use these as much as I'd wish & tend to loose muscle condition for them ...

I used to LOVE jumping rope! I need to get (cautiously) back into it. I had to quit after I sprained my ankle a few years ago. Need to see if I can build up to more jumping again!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Phoenix. For me the benefits are many. First of all my blood pressure in the past tended to be on the high side. That's the primary reason I started cardio at he age of 17. Though before that I was on my high school's swim team so I guess that's something. But I didn't start a formal workout routine till at 17 my blood pressure was high and my internist suggested it. I also cut out added sodium as I found out I'm a salt responder.

Benefit two it quiets my mind. And gives me peace of mind. Quiets my tendency towards anxiety and lifts my sad moods. Perhaps benefit two is most important for me.

Benefit three it keeps me in decent shape. As you know metabolism slows especially at my age and working out keeps me feeling good as well as looking ok.

I love cardio and yes tend to favor those workouts. The arc trainer is weight bearing so it isn't just a cardio workout though it is primarily cardio. I probably do about 2 hours a day (arc trainer and Pilates) if we aren't cycling outdoors that day. I try to do 20 minutes of free weights 3 times a week.

I get muscle benefits from free weights and Pilates. Pilates lengthen my muscles and strengthen them and strengthens my core. Gives my abdominal muscles a good workout and gives it definition. Helps condition my whole body. And at age 52 I don't have many body complaints except for some usual gravity issues. Oh well. I do the best I can and feel good doing it and that feeling lasts after my workouts so the endorphin lift lasts.

I need to do better re weights. The arc trainer helps as it provides reisistance/weight bearing as does the Pilates but I could benefit from lifting free weights more. I just struggle with that as I find slow movements challenging. I do very few things slowly. :lol: As my dh says I'm always ina rush even when there's no reason to rush. It's somehow built into my brain. Do everything fast and furious. I'm working on it and working on slowing down. One day at a time.

Good luck with all your workout endeavors. And enjoy it. When we enjoy the workouts we do we stick with them.:appl:

@missy , thank you for your detailed reply. Wowza!!:appl:

A couple of things, Missy: first, pilates: I've never tried that. I've always done weights + some cardio. How different is pilates and if I already do weights 4 times a week, would I still benefit from pilates? Second, the gravity "thing" and slow movements: if you do very intense heavy weights, you'd take care of the gravity issue (everything gets lifted) and the movements are so intense and take so much out of you that you're actually begging for mercy/ dying to have a few moments to rest, but in fact proper weight-training requires that you NOT rest, as the muscles need constant movements/ sets to be done one after another, straightaway. You will burn soooo bad that you don't even have time to think about the movements being too slow, trust me! lol

Re the gravity thing, this is what one's butt should become when one does enough intensive weight-lifting. This woman, who I'm hoping will agree to be my new PT, is turning 40 soon and look at her! (Pic taken from her IG account, I hope she won't mind, I know she's setting up a new business and website ATM)

upload_2017-11-8_1-7-45.png

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My must have list:

1.My low impact amazing cardio and fun to do (yes it is I am not lying!) is my Cybex Arc Trainer. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. (so much fun we have 3 of them LOL). Worth EVERY penny.

2. Loose weights-cheap and functional and easy to store.

3. Pilates Reformer-a great way to do a low impact multi functional workout and a great complement to my cardio Arc trainer workout.

4. If you can get an additional piece of equipment I recommend a low impact bicycle. On those days you might not be able to do a more active workout this is at least a good something and very low impact though it doesn't do anything for bone density like the Arc Trainer. Still a good alternative for certain days (minor injuries etc).\

OK just took pics of my equipment. (it's super bright in here this sunny morning so I had to draw the blinds in the photos to be able to take these pics) HTH.

pilatesreformer.jpg

cybex.jpg

cybex.jpeg
stationarybicycle.jpg

and I'll add the treadmill. A good addition for a change in routine but I realize not everyone can keep all this equipment in their home. I am lucky my dh tolerates my working out obsession and need to have all this stuff. LOL.

treadmill.jpg

Good luck and happy working out! Moving always makes me feel better. Always. (When I broke my leg that was the most challenging aspect. Not the pain (which was bad) but the inability to move and get my endorphins going. I always remind myself of that when I am not in the mood to workout and it really puts things in perspective. Move it or lose it. You can do this!:appl:

I remember you talking about that trainer. I'll have to look at them! They sound amazing.

I've never hear of a Pilates reformer before. Need to look into that!

We are rearranging one very large room and redoing another. Trying to figure out how to arrange everything so we can actually use it all. Current leaning is towards setting up a library/reading room in the one area them having a home gym sort of set up sharing our home theater space.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beachbody on demand subscription. Dumbells, resistance bands, yoga mat.

Love my yoga mat! So much better than getting irritated skin from working out on the carpet! (Plus I love yoga!)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops forgot my dh's favorite piece of workout "equipment". His TRX. Inexpensive and he loves it. We were both introduced to it when I was undergoing PT while I was rehabbing my healing leg. My dh loved it and bought one for each home and uses it every day. So definitely a recommendation from him. I want to start using it again to add to a well rounded workout but I seem to always run out of time. LOL.

Quick pic of it right now. He keeps it in his home office and it is so easy to store away. Takes up NO room whatsoever.
Thanks to my dh for being so tolerant allowing me to take this pic of him for PS. Haha.

TRX.JPG

I had seen something like this in an office building once. Looks super easy to set up! Thanks!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Life Fitness GX spin stationary bike and use the Pelaton app on my iphone, hook it up to my apple tv and Bingo! I have a spin class daily!

I love how technology makes so much possible! Great idea. Thanks!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Weight loss, building healthy muscles (not like body builder shape but strong), and really just overall health.

Very cool you are building one too! I used to think about going to a gym, but that just never works for me. I never go and I really hate exercising around other people.

@TooPatient , I still belong to a gym/club and still intend to go there on a regular basis. But my club doesn't allow outside trainers and my previous PT (who had her own fully equipped gym at her home) has left and will be gone for several months and am having to engage a new trainer who doesn't have her own gym, hence the need for me to set up my own. But I get what you mean.

Anyway, weight loss: yeah, cardio should be your main exercise then and should take up most of your workout time. I like what @missy posted. You should aim to have a treadmill and a elliptical. I once lost 10kg (about 20lbs) in 3 months doing mainly running on the treadmill and working out on the elliptical everyday for 2 hours each time.

Muscles and strength training: you need to do weights for these 2. These are my primary goals, bulking up in the right places and becoming stronger and stronger. There are so many machines on the market, but to start with I'd, if I were you, just use loose weights/ dumbbells, bars/ barbells (I'll post what I've bought in a bit), benches and mats (mats are good for push-ups and planking).

Barbell set:
25kg-barbell-set-starter-kit.jpg

Bench:
folding-weight-bench-gs-t4-.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient , if you're inclined, pls feel free to check out my thread on exercise, makeup, health etc. I have some tips on there re eating and exercising.

I was wondering also: would you consider engaging a PT? I have been doing weights for many many years but still engage a PT twice or 3 times a week. You don't have to use one on regular basis of course, but perhaps just for 10 sessions or so until you build up a routine whereby you can do the same exercises by yourself? A good PT should be able to assist you with your nutritional needs as well as exercises that fit in with your goals.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient , if you're inclined, pls feel free to check out my thread on exercise, makeup, health etc. I have some tips on there re eating and exercising.

I was wondering also: would you consider engaging a PT? I have been doing weights for many many years but still engage a PT twice or 3 times a week. You don't have to use one on regular basis of course, but perhaps just for 10 sessions or so until you build up a routine whereby you can do the same exercises by yourself? A good PT should be able to assist you with your nutritional needs as well as exercises that fit in with your goals.

I have been reading but not able to reply much due to lack of time. Love your thread!

I have been thinking about a PT. I know I don't have time right now, but definitely a great thought for when I have a bit more time (hopefully soon). A friend is a nutritionist and is setting up a group to help us all with healthy eating. Looking forward to her having that going! I'm also looking at getting back to my once a week yoga class. Another friend is a PT but she doesn't live in the area. Hmmm.... I bet she would be great to ask about a good starting routine!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

- squat rack

Did you fire Satan?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We have an Elliptical machine by Epic - It is OK for me, but not very heavy duty and rattles a lot when my husband uses it. We also have a treadmill. Can't remember who the maker is. It was the line they carry at Dick's Sporting goods. Again, it is OK. Just a pretty basic treadmill. I think next time we will find a fitness equipment supplier and go with commercial grade equipment since we have had to replace the cheaper stuff every 5-8 years it seems

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Fitbit is great too. I find myself wanting to hit that 10,000 even if it means walking laps through our house at 10pm :lol-2:

I also found myself thinking that there was no way I could not keep up with this one friend's steps. Yeah... We'll see how that goes. Barely noon her time and she has 10,000!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that I consistently only use a treadmill at home. Everything else sort of comes in and out. I also go to a gym right in my office building for classes. Our old treadmill was commercial grade but finally fell apart after about 15 years of heavy use. I ended up replacing it with Nordic track 1750 which is a midlevel model. After a year of use, I'm happy with it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a gym rat for years and in awesome shape thanks to an outstanding trainer. He left the area, I had foot surgery and things fell apart. I wanted something different this time around so I bought Shaun T's insanity workout cds and his Hip Hop Abs cds. You don't need to work with weights to get muscle tone and you don't need fancy at-home gym equipment for cardio. If that's what you want, fine, but there are other ways to get results without taking up a lot of $$ and room in the house.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you fire Satan?

Satan left for the UK and will be gone for several months. She asked me to find someone else and I do need someone else. Satan has been gone for almost a month now and I still haven't found a new trainer yet. The one I'm hoping to engage is too busy to even reply to my text messages. She's my first choice, so I shall wait for a while. Otherwise, I'll join a second gym and use a PT there.

I'm hoping to get a bodybuilder's body or close to it - that has been my goal for years already. Satan was very good, but thinking back about it, I was with her for almost 2 calendar years (actually more like 1.5 yrs bc of my boxing injury and inactivity for 3 months), and yet I still don't have the body I want - though she did help me to lose 4kgs and build some definition. Either this new PT or the gym I have in mind should be able to help me achieve my goal.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pairs of 5, 7.5, 10 And 12 pound weights.
Yoga mat
Bar method DVDs. Great stretching and isometric workout to tone and define.
The Firm DVDs with their 2 in one step great lower body workouts.
Insanity DVDs for great cardio
P90X DVDs for great weight workouts

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pairs of 5, 7.5, 10 And 12 pound weights.
Yoga mat
Bar method DVDs. Great stretching and isometric workout to tone and define.
The Firm DVDs with their 2 in one step great lower body workouts.
Insanity DVDs for great cardio
P90X DVDs for great weight workouts

Don't you also go to a gym, @LLJsmom ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results