shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it a scam to have the same orange diamond ?

ponchik

Rough_Rock
Hi
I am in search for an orange diamond which I am interested in Leibish. And it is a new addition probably 2-3 days ago.
And I read on the internet that they hold all the inventory of the items listed
The leibish stone price 9350 USD
https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-yellow-orange-asscher-38958

However while I was doing some more research to see if there is a color i like more, I stumbled upon this link in e-bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-77-Carat...547187?hash=item56892bf673:g:Mj4AAOSwEjFXcoBO
Price 4230 USD item location Israel

Ok I don't trust e-bay much on these type of things, but the seller Benma Diamonds is an old member and has very high feedback (I also know sellers can deceive this) and this diamond is something mid-priced for their listings.

So I am confused. Who actually is the owner of this diamond.
I am thinking the E-bay listing is a scam but just wanted to make sure not to be ripped off DOUBLE the amount if in the end I decide to buy this diamond.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi
I am in search for an orange diamond which I am interested in Leibish. And it is a new addition probably 2-3 days ago.
And I read on the internet that they hold all the inventory of the items listed
The leibish stone price 9350 USD
https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-yellow-orange-asscher-38958

However while I was doing some more research to see if there is a color i like more, I stumbled upon this link in e-bay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-77-Carat...547187?hash=item56892bf673:g:Mj4AAOSwEjFXcoBO
Price 4230 USD item location Israel

Ok I don't trust e-bay much on these type of things, but the seller Benma Diamonds is an old member and has very high feedback (I also know sellers can deceive this) and this diamond is something mid-priced for their listings.

So I am confused. Who actually is the owner of this diamond.
I am thinking the E-bay listing is a scam but just wanted to make sure not to be ripped off DOUBLE the amount if in the end I decide to buy this diamond.
This is really strange. I clicked on the eBay link and saw the diamond...and then clicked on the Lebish link. When I went back to the eBay link it didn’t work anymore..like it was taken off...If you are considering this diamond I would contact Lebish and ask them directly and ask about the eBay link. Something smells fishy..

ponchik

Rough_Rock
This is really strange. I clicked on the eBay link and saw the diamond...and then clicked on the Lebish link. When I went back to the eBay link it didn’t work anymore..like it was taken off...If you are considering this diamond I would contact Lebish and ask them directly and ask about the eBay link. Something smells fishy..

the link still works ?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
the link still works ?
It’s not working for me..It goes to a generic eBay page..It worked the first time but not all the other times I tried...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
eBay link worked for me, but no idea who either of the two vendors are.
Diamonds by Lauren was a great suggestion- they specialize in fancy colors and are good at working with a budget. Check out their stuff on insta gram

ponchik

Rough_Rock

thank you for your suggestions.
1 - the color is a bit too brown
2- don't consider oval or round shapes need somewhat square rectuangular shape, also too small
3- color is a bit too yellow, and too small

I was looking out to but something arount 1ct, but loved the color of this inquired stone

I also considered the below two
1 - https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-brownish-yellowish-orange-radiant-36282
2- https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-brownish-yellowish-orange-radiant-31982

what do you think about these, although they look not that much brown on the photos I couldn't be sure
But I havent seen any colored diamonds in person so I am not sure the color difference would be distinguishable at these small ct., and shoud I opt for the bigger ones

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of orange diamonds (and yellow) will have a brown tone. The best way to see them are in person. Both Leibish and DiamondsbyLauren are located in NYC. Could you make a trip there? If so, you could set up appointments at both. They can also call-in stones that you don't see on their sites.

Ignore carat size. Look at the size in millimeters. Colored diamonds are cut first for color retention. They will vary widely in size by weight. I would filter by color and then maximum budget. Then, look at sizes. Not a diamond, but you may have good options in sapphires.

Is this for you personally to wear or a gift? I ask because color is very very personal and orange and yellow -- more than most.

From a color perspective, I think the 1.26 will read more orange and less brown. But, *to me* this color of the 2nd DBL is superior. But, my eyes are not your eyes.

Too small, but I also like these.
https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-yellow-orange-emerald-38325
https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-orange-oval-30918

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So weird! Thanks @rockysalamander I was able to go into my eBay and see it in recently viewed..so strange..

ponchik

Rough_Rock
A lot of orange diamonds (and yellow) will have a brown tone. The best way to see them are in person. Both Leibish and DiamondsbyLauren are located in NYC. Could you make a trip there? If so, you could set up appointments at both. They can also call-in stones that you don't see on their sites.

Ignore carat size. Look at the size in millimeters. Colored diamonds are cut first for color retention. They will vary widely in size by weight. I would filter by color and then maximum budget. Then, look at sizes. Not a diamond, but you may have good options in sapphires.

Is this for you personally to wear or a gift? I ask because color is very very personal and orange and yellow -- more than most.

From a color perspective, I think the 1.26 will read more orange and less brown. But, *to me* this color of the 2nd DBL is superior. But, my eyes are not your eyes.

Too small, but I also like these.
https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-yellow-orange-emerald-38325
https://www.leibish.com/orange-diamonds/fancy-deep-orange-oval-30918

first of all it is for myself,
I don't want sapphires. I am looking at the actual mm not just the ct weight there was about 1 mm difference in size as well.

Any idea on what is going around with the original diamond I posted ? because colorwise that is the one I liked most actually within my budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
first of all it is for myself,
I don't want sapphires. I am looking at the actual mm not just the ct weight there was about 1 mm difference in size as well.

Any idea on what is going around with the original diamond I posted ? because colorwise that is the one I liked most actually within my budget.
Leibish is very trustworthy. I woild contact them and ask.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Both companies have HQ's in Israel. Leibish has a retail location in NYC. So one's a cutter and one's a brick and mortar retailed. Both have internet sales. Who has the best return policy if it turns out you don't like the color??

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is the same stone -WOW that is a huge price difference!

ponchik

Rough_Rock
Leibish is very trustworthy. I woild contact them and ask.

actually I did,
shared the e-bay link, and at least they were honest to say it is not a scam, they are not the owners.
I asked then I should contact the owner since the price difference is very steep. and they told I can they are nice people

I again thank leibish for their honesty, that is why everyone on the internet vouches for their trustworthiness

And I knew I would be paying a premium on any diamond but I think this is steep.

Charging not double but 220% of the original price is a bit too much

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
actually I did,
shared the e-bay link, and at least they were honest to say it is not a scam, they are not the owners.
I asked then I should contact the owner since the price difference is very steep. and they told I can they are nice people

I again thank leibish for their honesty, that is why everyone on the internet vouches for their trustworthiness

And I knew I would be paying a premium on any diamond but I think this is steep.

Charging not double but 220% of the original price is a bit too much

How interesting that they are the cutter! Before the internet enabled more direct to consumer sales there wouldn't have been an opportunity to buy from them I am guessing. Good find!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ponchik - check out diagem's website and Instagram - he often lists coloured stones and may be able to source something to order. He also does awesome cutting ;-) :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lebish having a retail store in NYC will need to charge a lot more to cover their costs than the cutter who is based in Israel and uses eBay as a sales point. Though it’s a bit naughty of Leibish to indicate that all the diamonds on their website are personally “held” by them.
I would go with the eBay vendor!

ponchik

Rough_Rock
I know the Benma family very well.
One of the most sophisticated professionals in very fine and rare gems.
Just to clear up the cloud.

Also, I would suggest editing the title of this thread..

Hi thx for the info, I would like to change the topic of the thread but cant seem to find the button ?

Also if you know them, it would be great if you could let me know their contact info. I would try contact them and try to get someone to see the diamond there if possible.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi thx for the info, I would like to change the topic of the thread but cant seem to find the button ?

Also if you know them, it would be great if you could let me know their contact info. I would try contact them and try to get someone to see the diamond there if possible.
You will have to hit the report concern on the bottom of the original post. It just alerts the moderator that you need help. Have a new subject in mind so they can change it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Lebish having a retail store in NYC will need to charge a lot more to cover their costs than the cutter who is based in Israel and uses eBay as a sales point. Though it’s a bit naughty of Leibish to indicate that all the diamonds on their website are personally “held” by them.
I would go with the eBay vendor!

AAAARGH I must be blind ... I spent so much time looking at the Leibish website trying to find anything that said they actually owned or held all of their listed diamonds and couldn’t anything. At least they don’t plaster it all over their site. @Bron357 where did you see it?
For sure it’s a lot more expensive to have a retail store in NY .. but Leibish has an office in Israel and Hong Kong, as well as NY. Seems hard to justify a 100% markup other than the fact that someone will be foolish enough to pay it.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
From the shipping FAQ...

"How long does shipment take?
Shipment lengths depend on its destination (shipping times are approximate).
* to Europe 1-2 business days
* to the USA/Canada 2-3 business days
* to Australia 4-5 business days"

It appears the diamonds are a little closer to Europe than the US. But I'm just guessing.

From the fancy diamond page... I added the underline...

" Each stone must exhibit standards of the highest caliber of quality in order to be selected and displayed on our list and must pass an individual quality assessment before we offer them to our esteemed clientele for purchase."

Retail markup of 100% or more isn't a lot as things go. You might be surprised.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Liebish is an old and well-respected company.

It’s not out of the question that they are charging more on this particular stone than a competitor (or not), but that doesn’t make them a rip-off, nor does it make Benma a bargain. You are missing some critical information here, or at least haven’t included it. I would start by asking. "Hey Liebish! WTF?" Then listen to the answer. They'll tell you. This is a bigger problem for them than it is for you. Honesty is a remarkably effective negotiating strategy.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t excuse the price difference on this particular stone and I am not familiar with Benma, however, I have purchased from Leibish twice and have visited their NYC location and my experience was positive both times. They used to only carry in-house stones, so this might be a change in practices. In any case, you have the option to purchase the stone at a much lower price, so I would just purchase it from Benma.
I am also not sure how return/upgrade policies are different between the two companies.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
From the shipping FAQ...

"How long does shipment take?
Shipment lengths depend on its destination (shipping times are approximate).
* to Europe 1-2 business days
* to the USA/Canada 2-3 business days
* to Australia 4-5 business days"

It appears the diamonds are a little closer to Europe than the US. But I'm just guessing.

From the fancy diamond page... I added the underline...

" Each stone must exhibit standards of the highest caliber of quality in order to be selected and displayed on our list and must pass an individual quality assessment before we offer them to our esteemed clientele for purchase."

Retail markup of 100% or more isn't a lot as things go. You might be surprised.

But notice the language ... it doesn’t say by whom the “individual quality assessment” is made. It could be made by the supplier, for example.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results