shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me think. Solitaire setting for 1.23 F CBI — 1...2...3—GO!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The Polar Vortex was good to me! I have upgraded my CBI to a 1.23 F SI2. It was a “future” stone on their site, and it will be available to me soon enough that I need to determine a setting!

Things I know I want:
Platinum
Six prongs
Solitaire
“Medium” setting in the head, meaning I don’t want the stone to sit low and “squat” in the head, nor do I want it to be dangerously high and at risk of unnecessary knocking on things. I like @cflutist ‘s approach.

Top contenders:
HPD New York soli
Vatche U113
Stuller “Crown” as it has been dubbed here

I believe the Stuller setting will be about $700-900 cheaper? I’m not sure if this will be my “forever” setting, so the price is important to me with this upgrade. I will have this stone for longer than my other two (ahem).

Questions:
Prong placement — 12:00 & 6:00 or 10:30 & 1:30? My top contenders are different. What are the considerations here for setting of the diamond?

If I decide to go with HPD’s New York soli or Vatche, has anyone had a new head made to accommodate a larger stone? @diamondseeker2006 ?Considerations for this/questions I should be asking HPD?

I know all these questions can be answered by Wink and his team, but this is the fun of PS—sharing the process and brainstorming some options. :whistle: I just want to be sure I have some of my thoughts gathered this week.

I’d appreciate other settings I should consider, any links, pics, etc.

Yahoo!!:dance:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming new stone! Very exciting and super excited for pictures!

My starting question is:

Genuinely, being honest with yourself, how long do you think it will be before you upgrade this stone? I really think that will impact on what you do and how you are advised. :geek2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stuller crown! But I have read that it sits low due to the large donut.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg it’s going to be freaking amazing!! F SI is my fave combo!!

I would do Stuller crown since you don’t know if it’s going to be your forever setting.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your upcoming new stone! Very exciting and super excited for pictures!

My starting question is:

Genuinely, being honest with yourself, how long do you think it will be before you upgrade this stone? I really think that will impact on what you do and how you are advised. :geek2:

Ditto the above.
I did the same, upgraded stone/new inexpensive sturdy platunum setting so that I can upgrade when funds allow in the future, and then get my dream setting too.
Good luck

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Kristintech! Congratulations on your beautiful choice!

My opinion is that you should get the Stuller Solstice (its a six prong Tiffany style) or an even cheaper Stuller six prong peg head for a stone you might upgrade. I like the Solstice because you can see more of the profile of the stone from the side (versus the Crown). You can replace the head for a larger stone on those styles. I put my .95 carat CBI in a pre-owned six prong peg head setting from EBay and am enjoying it very much. Honestly, you might look at pre-owned too.

If you CAN replace the head on the HPD New York solitaire or the Vatche U113, Melissa at HPD would know. Honestly, I don’t think it’s possible. You cannot replace the head on the Stuller “Crown” either.

I’m going to mention that if you are considering a HPD New York or Vatche U113 setting you can get a Mark Morrell masterpiece (six prong without diamonds) for around the same price. http://www.markmorrell.com/Prices/Index.html

The other solitaire style which showcases the diamond well is the Alessandra from Dimend Scaasi. It’s a four prong (I know you wanted six) but it’s amazing. Check out the profile! https://www.dimendscaasi.com/engage...-alessandra-classic-solitaire-engagement-ring

You could probably resell any of these designer settings, if you go that route.

Last, I would prioritize having HPD set the diamond for you (with whatever setting is possible) rather than try to set a loose stone yourself.

Good luck!

Last edited:

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Kristintech! Congratulations on your beautiful choice!

My opinion is that you should get the Stuller Solstice (its a six prong Tiffany style) or an even cheaper Stuller six prong for a stone you might upgrade. You can replace the head for a larger stone on those styles. I put my .95 carat CBI in a pre-owned six prong setting from EBay and am enjoying it very much. Honestly, you might look at pre-owned too.

If you CAN replace the head on the HPD New York solitaire or the Vatche U113, Melissa at HPD would know. Honestly, I don’t think it’s possible. You cannot replace the head on the Stuller “Crown” either.

I’m going to mention that for the price of a HPD New York or Vatche U113 setting you can get a Mark Morrell masterpiece (six prong without diamonds) for around the same price. http://www.markmorrell.com/Prices/Index.html

The other solitaire style which showcases the diamond well is the Alessandra from Dimend Scaasi. It’s a four prong (I know you wanted six) but it’s amazing. Check out the profile! https://www.dimendscaasi.com/engage...-alessandra-classic-solitaire-engagement-ring

You could probably resell any of these designer settings, if you go that route.

Last, I would prioritize having HPD set the diamond for you (with whatever setting is possible) rather than try to set a loose stone yourself.

Good luck!

I think a Stuller Solstice in platinum would be the best choice as well. Relatively cheap (about $1k), replaceable head should you decide to upgrade again, and good quality.

Specifically, this one:
https://www.stuller.com/products/16...yId=11055&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse

This is the knife edge (Tiffany style) with a medium height.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My starting question is:

I think a big question that I’ve had in my head is how large I want to realistically go, overall, at this stage in my life. I want to feel comfortable with wearing this ring daily. I’m honestly not sure if I can go over 1.5 and still feel like I can wear it to work. The SI2 was a huge surprise to me, and I see it as a tremendous value. In addition to not caring about clarity (as long as it’s eye-clean), I honestly think it’s really cool that they can create this perfect diamond out of an SI2 rough!

I think I’ll have this stone until summer/fall 2020, and likely longer (I know—famous last words). If I end up keeping it longer, I may decide to get the wider Tiffany Legacy eternity as the 20th anniversary band that year. Our kids will start college in 2022 (first of three), so I feel as though once 2020 rolls around, the bling budget will downshift in favor of those expenses for several years. So my “goal” is to have a set that I’m very happy and satisfied with for the university years. :)

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
623C607E-EC3D-41A2-8CA7-4E5C7CEBC780.jpeg 67501057-83F9-41A1-9B4B-67F53296A03D.jpeg B8CC85EF-EDC8-4A9D-B288-217A29BD7431.jpeg
For perspective, here is what I’m used to—1.01 carat oval. I guess I consider this to be of “medium” height.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I am also of the mindset of spending the least amount possible if it's not going to be a long term setting. That would mean a second hand setting or a cheap 6 prong Stuller setting. I do like that crown setting but more for an old cut. I'd really just get a basic solitaire to wait and see if you upgrade one more time in the next 2 years.

I did have the head changed in my Vatche U-113 when I upgraded, and it was a good move considering I still haven't decided on a new setting in over 5 1/2 years! But I wouldn't get an expensive setting for a stone you think you might upgrade with the thought of changing heads because you might change your mind by the time you upgrade!

RainbowSeekingGoat

Rough_Rock
623C607E-EC3D-41A2-8CA7-4E5C7CEBC780.jpeg 67501057-83F9-41A1-9B4B-67F53296A03D.jpeg B8CC85EF-EDC8-4A9D-B288-217A29BD7431.jpeg
For perspective, here is what I’m used to—1.01 carat oval. I guess I consider this to be of “medium” height.

Congrats on your CBI! Cannot wait to see pictures of it and its rainbows :love:

Wondering when you say medium height, how many mm are you referring to? I think this set has a very nice height! Always bonus points to me when a wedding band can be worn flush.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! I am also of the mindset of spending the least amount possible if it's not going to be a long term setting. That would mean a second hand setting or a cheap 6 prong Stuller setting. I do like that crown setting but more for an old cut. I'd really just get a basic solitaire to wait and see if you upgrade one more time in the next 2 years.

I did have the head changed in my Vatche U-113 when I upgraded, and it was a good move considering I still haven't decided on a new setting in over 5 1/2 years! But I wouldn't get an expensive setting for a stone you think you might upgrade with the thought of changing heads because you might change your mind by the time you upgrade!

I put my OEC in a 14kt stuller crown a few years ago as a temp setting...I think it was 400-500$ ... love it and rarely think of resetting. Platinum seems unnecessary. The Crown may be a bit too much metal for your stone, but not sure. I think the bulk may depend on the size of the diamond, so that that case it would work.

Luminous1

Rough_Rock
Premium
I have a stuller crown setting. It is a low setting, imho. My stone is about .2mm smaller than yours will probably be but is in the same setting size yours would be in. Here are some pics in my bad office lighting with really dry hands to give you perspective. IMG_20190218_085709.jpg IMG_20190218_090822.jpg

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a stuller crown setting. It is a low setting, imho. My stone is about .2mm smaller than yours will probably be but is in the same setting size yours would be in. Here are some pics in my bad office lighting with really dry hands to give you perspective. IMG_20190218_085709.jpg IMG_20190218_090822.jpg

@Luminous1 ! Thank you! I would appreciate seeing more pictures later if you have the time! I really like the way they did your prongs, too! That’s another topic for me to tackle, lol. It’s great to see ordinary perspective shots from typical viewing distances. Thanks, again!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Stuller Solstice.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I want to "revote"... LOL

I vote for the Adwar six prong soft knife edge:

https://www.adwar.com/products/styles/26303L/view
26303L.jpg
26303L.jpg
26303L.jpg

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Heeeey @KristinTech! =)2

I would echo the theme here - that if this is not your final setting, don't spend too much on it. Having said that, if you're going to have it for a few years... out of all the settings you've mentioned, is there one that particularly sings to you?

I do like the Crown Stuller setting, but you're getting an F! Show off that culet!!! :D Honestly the side of the diamond is too beautiful to cover up. That's not to say I don't appreciate that setting! That's not what I'm saying for all of those of those Crown lovers out there. :kiss2: Just my personal opinion for this stone.:kiss2: Obviously if you love that setting then go for it ... but I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of seeing the culet for mine.

I think if you were going to go Vatche vs HPD, you're getting your stone from HPD, I would go with HPD. :geek2: Unless you specifically wanted something really specific... like @Dancing Fire used HPD to source a Boone tension setting - but that's a really specific type of setting you know? Otherwise I would use HPD, and you clearly have a great relationship with them. Either that or Stuller. I quite like Stuller.

My absolute favourite HPD solitaire setting is their Blossom setting. I think it's absolutely stunning, you can see the culet, it's six prongs, a little unusual, and I feel like it's interesting enough to stand the test of a few years. It can also be set medium height.

Mmmmm so exciting! Please let us know how you're getting on!!!

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Took some time to think it over—and we decided to go with the HPD New York Classic! I’ll keep this ring for a few years, and the setting is just so fluid and beautiful—and timeless! I kept coming back to it, and it just felt right when I decided. Hubby also agreed it was the superior setting (without knowing the price, lol).

Once I made up my mind, I felt at rest with it. And super excited! :mrgreen:

I call tomorrow to pay for the setting, and my stone is back in-house and ready for the next step. :appl:

Attachments

• E8E08E86-444C-4722-AA7A-DE50A297C7A1.gif
    E8E08E86-444C-4722-AA7A-DE50A297C7A1.gif
    2 MB · Views: 16

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: Took some time to think it over—and we decided to go with the HPD New York Classic! I’ll keep this ring for a few years, and the setting is just so fluid and beautiful—and timeless! I kept coming back to it, and it just felt right when I decided. Hubby also agreed it was the superior setting (without knowing the price, lol).

I call tomorrow to pay for the setting, and my stone is back in-house and ready for the next step. :appl:

Excellent decision, and excellent that you feel at peace now you've made the decision - the sign of a correct one!

What metal are you doing?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

You have chosen a lovely setting :lickout:

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I can’t wait! I LOVE the NY Classic setting and have wanted one for so long.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I do prongs instead of a bezel in the future the New York Classic is my first choice. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
If I do prongs instead of a bezel in the future the New York Classic is my first choice. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Me too. With those oh so special delicate claw prongs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results