shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling elle_chris and Sholdt semi bezel owners!!

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
Now that you've all had your settings for a few years, could you please give me a run down?? Do you wear the ring everyday? How does it hold up to everyday activities? How do you wear it -stacked or plain (any and ALL pictures would be greatly appreciated :love:- the more the merrier:kiss2:)!!! Do you still love it? Is it easy to clean? Any thoughts, suggestions, or words of wisdom for someone interested in the setting?? I want to have a "forever" setting, but wanted to get your feedback since y'all have lived with them!! Please show and tell for me! Thanks so much!:wavey:

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
yes, I think the setting Kota is in is gorgeous! However, I have always had a more substantial ring. I love the idea of vintage, but adore yellow gold too much :kiss2:. So, I am leaning toward the amazing balance of substantial and delicate that a Sholdt would provide (added girdle protection is an awesome bonus too). And wanted to hear from current owners ;)2. We'll see what winds up happening :twirl:!!

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@D&T Do you still have your Sholdt? Can you help answer some of my above questions??

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@the_mother_thing Can you help answer some of my Sholdt questions above, based on your gorgeous custom setting?? Thanks!!

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hear you. This is one of my all time favorite settings! Some jewellers will tell you that a diamond of your size is not secure in a semi bezel. You should discuss with Sholdt and/or your authorized retailer before proceeding.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you do go ahead, I have a sufficiently nerdy spreadsheet with all the semi bezels on PS and their stats. :loopy:

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
Ouuuu, I'd love to see your spreadsheet! Ive already talked with Sholdt, and it's one of their most secure settings, so we are good!! Thanks!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:Oh hey! Just saw this now.
It was my favorite yellow gold semi bezel setting ever however I have since sold it and have a different ring. I can give you some insight I ran across while wearing it.

- sat up a little high (for me) to accommodate band to sit flush.
-very comfortable to your point substantial yet delicate looking
-although very secure the problem I ran into is that N/S the diamond girdle is very exposed vs having prongs at N/S. I upgraded my diamond sent it back to whiteflash and during inspection had an abrasion that they fixed. I remember hitting my washer and that could have been the culprit.

-I don’t regret getting it. I now prefer more of a N/S semi bezel. But oh so love the look of the regular semi bezel and my heart ❤️ skips a beat every time I see one. I think for a diamond with thick girdle I wouldn’t hesitate but again it is very exposed N/S and prone to damage. I’ve had way too many settings so I tend to think of worse case scenario and how I would wear it.
Hope this helps!

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
That's exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!!! I'm also considering a couple of their full bezels- that may be the safer route with my OEC. =)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:Oh hey! Just saw this now.
It was my favorite yellow gold semi bezel setting ever however I have since sold it and have a different ring. I can give you some insight I ran across while wearing it.

- sat up a little high (for me) to accommodate band to sit flush.
-very comfortable to your point substantial yet delicate looking
-although very secure the problem I ran into is that N/S the diamond girdle is very exposed vs having prongs at N/S. I upgraded my diamond sent it back to whiteflash and during inspection had an abrasion that they fixed. I remember hitting my washer and that could have been the culprit.

-I don’t regret getting it. I now prefer more of a N/S semi bezel. But oh so love the look of the regular semi bezel and my heart ❤️ skips a beat every time I see one. I think for a diamond with thick girdle I wouldn’t hesitate but again it is very exposed N/S and prone to damage. I’ve had way too many settings so I tend to think of worse case scenario and how I would wear it.
Hope this helps!
I’ve only had my semi bezel three weeks, but this is exactly why I chose the one with the bezels north to south- 9 times out of 10 that’s the direction I bang my diamond.

Although I’ve banged my diamond more easy to west in the last three weeks than I think I ever have. So their’s that :lol-2:

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@Wewechew Love your ring! I was wondering about the N/S orientation! Thanks for sharing! and yes, I'm thinking I nervous about the exposed girdle area too :confused:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew Love your ring! I was wondering about the N/S orientation! Thanks for sharing! and yes, I'm thinking I nervous about the exposed girdle area too :confused:
Thank you! I can't wait to see how you end up setting yours :)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve only had my semi bezel three weeks, but this is exactly why I chose the one with the bezels north to south- 9 times out of 10 that’s the direction I bang my diamond.

Although I’ve banged my diamond more easy to west in the last three weeks than I think I ever have. So their’s that :lol-2:

:mrgreen2: now my ring that I wear daily is completely full bezel... I mean, It doesn't stop me from creating more rings, I just don't wear it as often, and am more cautious of when/where I wear the other rings. I'll have to take a peak around to see what your ring looks like, i love N/S bezel, I did that for my tourmaline and a few other rings over the years.

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@D&T I also wear my ring 24/7. Even when I'm gardening and doing my "chores" :roll2: So that's why I gotta make sure my Kota is safe! hehe! I think I may have found a full bezel that sings to me!! We'll see- still talking it through!:whistle: Again- your comments helped so much! Thanks!!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T I also wear my ring 24/7. Even when I'm gardening and doing my "chores" :roll2: So that's why I gotta make sure my Kota is safe! hehe! I think I may have found a full bezel that sings to me!! We'll see- still talking it through!:whistle: Again- your comments helped so much! Thanks!!

Your Diamond is a BEAUTY. You can't go wrong with any, but I remember the feeling of when I hit the ring, and also when Vera told me I had an abrasion:nono: Luckily it wasn't any worse, but... you have to love your setting and I guess that is what insurance is for? but I never claimed it to have them fix it it wasn't super expensive but it was a few hundred dollars though:confused: its been too long, I can't remember the exact cost.

Good luck with your decision. There are gorgeous bezels out there. :wavey:

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Simple and Sparkly, I won't overload you with details, but here are some other gorgeous half bezels. Most of these come from the Sholdt thread, so I'm sure you've seen them: Looking4ring, echidna, portlandkelly, memizu, hlmr, SMC, lisa1802, heyeliza, audball, baby monster

Since you're also considering full bezels, I love AnaClare's. I do recommend trying as many on in person as you can (i.e. via your local retailer, who may be able to ask Kalee to ship samples). You might be surprised what you do/don't like IRL!

I can't wait to see what you decide!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing Can you help answer some of my Sholdt questions above, based on your gorgeous custom setting?? Thanks!!

I’m sorry for the delay in seeing/responding to this; life’s been a bit hectic since the holidays.

My Sholdt isn’t a ‘true’ semi-bezel; rather, it’s kind of a modified/customized version in that the semi-bezel sides basically have cut-outs, creating a four-prong/tab look from the top, allowing tons of light into the diamond from every direction. The overall profile/shape/curves mirrors their regular semi-bezel, and I love that because it allows my w-band to sit flush with it. I was concerned about security as well, and discussed this with Sholdt beforehand. They assured me it’d be very secure, and it definitely feels that way. The ring is super comfortable to wear and feels like butter on my finger; it also sits pretty low IMO, but my diamond is only 1.41 ct ... a larger/deeper diamond would obviously need to set up a little higher.

While I love looking at my diamond/setting straight on, it’s really the north/south view in this setting that I adore, like when I’m driving (stopped at a light), and the sun hits it ... it just radiates so much fire in the pavillion. Overall, I love this ‘profile’ and style because it really gives me an additional way to really substantially view/love/appreciate my diamond. That’s what makes it the perfect setting IMO.

Hope that helps! :wavey:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has been so helpful, I’m so happy you started it Simple! I am also considering a Sholdt Semi but I am worried about exposing my OEC to damage too. What are you thinking now for your setting, I’m dying to know!!

tmt, can I ask you - do you wear your Sholdt all day, during most normal day-to-day stuff? Have you knocked it at all? I would love to experience my diamond outside of a full bezel like it’s in now, but it seems like that may be unwise. You have an ideal MRB in yours, right?

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze After many conversations with the amazing Kalee at Sholdt, I am leaning toward a full bezel. It is safe all day, everyday, obviously! It would be a bit wider bezel (I am not fond of the thinner bezels, personally- I like how the wider ones seem to "support" the stone more to my eyes, and I don't like halos on me- they have some gorgeous halos though!). The bezel would only come a little past half way down the stone, so light would still get into the stone and it will be easier to clean. It would be based off one of their past custom rings, with a few custom additions of my own. I am a one ring kinda girl and wear it ALL THE TIME, so as much as I adore the look of the semi bezel, I would feel safer with Kota being in a bezel. The semi does show off the stone more, but safety is huge to me. I know insurance is great, but I just don't wanna have to try to find a new stone if something happened that could be avoided. ;)2 I have made a little aluminum foil bezel (a trick I learned here on PS) and have been wearing it around, and it is amazing how much life the stone has in my makeshift bezel - hehe! I was NOT expecting that! And I thought it would make the stone look smaller, but it almost looks bigger, which is contrary to my logic :lol:. That's where I am at this point. Saving and planning... We are still working out exactly what we want it to be, so when things get closer, I'll have more to share.

Rainydaze, Your stone is gorgeous, and if the bezel were only on the top part, I would think it would have a different light play, and may even seem like a different setting to you. But the semi bezel would be gorgeous too!! It's a V-E-R-Y hard decision!! Keep us posted on what you decide too!:mrgreen2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tmt, can I ask you - do you wear your Sholdt all day, during most normal day-to-day stuff? Have you knocked it at all? I would love to experience my diamond outside of a full bezel like it’s in now, but it seems like that may be unwise. You have an ideal MRB in yours, right?

I have worn mine pretty much all day every day since I received it, and I’ve only taken it off when doing ‘rough’ stuff, like working out in the yard or hauling out/putting away holiday decorations, etc. Yes, it is set with an ideal cut MRB; had it been my OEC, I probably would have opted for Sholdt’s ‘full’ semi-bezel. For doing dishes, dog walking, etc. I have kept it on, and I have bonked it on a couple of things here and there, but nothing where there was any damage/chips. I think the 4 semi-bezel/tab ‘prongs’ provide pretty good/solid ‘bonk-protection’ since they’re wider than traditional prongs. I would not have been comfortable with a ‘traditional’ four prong setting, but this is really very strong/durable since the ring/tabs are all integrated/one piece. All in all, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Sholdt semi-bezel. It was originally what I wanted for the MRB, but hubs really wanted me to add some side diamonds so I agreed and modified the design a bit. The semi-bezel really appears to be a tank, pretty ‘bullet-proof’ for a soli, and it’s just clean & modern while appearing timelessly classic. I don’t think you can go wrong with it, honestly. And it sets so nicely with my wedding band because there is a curvature from the top to the bottom of the area where the diamond is set.

Ironically, and a bit off-topic, I had decided early yesterday to switch back to wearing my CvB soli OEC for little awhile. I think I’m just feeling a little nostalgic as our anniversary is approaching in a few weeks, and have really missed that set. Options really are a wonderful thing! :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also a lovely antique cushion in a custom semi bezel on the Sholdt IG yesterday.

I saw that as well; it really was gorgeous! :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw Sholdt posted another (albeit a flashback) on their IG with a tranny. :love: This setting seriously is about my ab-fab fave solo when you don’t want prongs or want something more bullet-proof for everyday wear. And it’s so versatile.

C32022E7-F13B-4CB6-975E-6A047EF17BDC.jpeg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rainydaze After many conversations with the amazing Kalee at Sholdt, I am leaning toward a full bezel. It is safe all day, everyday, obviously! It would be a bit wider bezel (I am not fond of the thinner bezels, personally- I like how the wider ones seem to "support" the stone more to my eyes, and I don't like halos on me- they have some gorgeous halos though!). The bezel would only come a little past half way down the stone, so light would still get into the stone and it will be easier to clean. It would be based off one of their past custom rings, with a few custom additions of my own. I am a one ring kinda girl and wear it ALL THE TIME, so as much as I adore the look of the semi bezel, I would feel safer with Kota being in a bezel. The semi does show off the stone more, but safety is huge to me. I know insurance is great, but I just don't wanna have to try to find a new stone if something happened that could be avoided. ;)2 I have made a little aluminum foil bezel (a trick I learned here on PS) and have been wearing it around, and it is amazing how much life the stone has in my makeshift bezel - hehe! I was NOT expecting that! And I thought it would make the stone look smaller, but it almost looks bigger, which is contrary to my logic :lol:. That's where I am at this point. Saving and planning... We are still working out exactly what we want it to be, so when things get closer, I'll have more to share.

Rainydaze, Your stone is gorgeous, and if the bezel were only on the top part, I would think it would have a different light play, and may even seem like a different setting to you. But the semi bezel would be gorgeous too!! It's a V-E-R-Y hard decision!! Keep us posted on what you decide too!:mrgreen2:

Simple, I can't wait to see how it all turns out! I'm so glad you and Sholdt are jiving on figuring out how to strike the right chord!

What you are leaning towards actually sounds similar to the setting I currently have (that's my RHR in my avatar, the one I am thinking of changing is my ering - I'll attach a pic to this post). The bezel is wider and stops about halfway down. It's definitely been great, easy to wear, clean, and shows off more of the diamond! It is a gorgeous look but I don't have to baby it, which I love. I agree with you, I would rather protect the stone I have and love than throw caution to the wind and let insurance reassure me. I am just itching for a change after 10 years.

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@rainydaze can't wait to see your current ER and look forward to seeing your new setting?? Can you share any details? ;)2

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have worn mine pretty much all day every day since I received it, and I’ve only taken it off when doing ‘rough’ stuff, like working out in the yard or hauling out/putting away holiday decorations, etc. Yes, it is set with an ideal cut MRB; had it been my OEC, I probably would have opted for Sholdt’s ‘full’ semi-bezel. For doing dishes, dog walking, etc. I have kept it on, and I have bonked it on a couple of things here and there, but nothing where there was any damage/chips. I think the 4 semi-bezel/tab ‘prongs’ provide pretty good/solid ‘bonk-protection’ since they’re wider than traditional prongs. I would not have been comfortable with a ‘traditional’ four prong setting, but this is really very strong/durable since the ring/tabs are all integrated/one piece. All in all, I don’t think you can go wrong with the Sholdt semi-bezel. It was originally what I wanted for the MRB, but hubs really wanted me to add some side diamonds so I agreed and modified the design a bit. The semi-bezel really appears to be a tank, pretty ‘bullet-proof’ for a soli, and it’s just clean & modern while appearing timelessly classic. I don’t think you can go wrong with it, honestly. And it sets so nicely with my wedding band because there is a curvature from the top to the bottom of the area where the diamond is set.

Ironically, and a bit off-topic, I had decided early yesterday to switch back to wearing my CvB soli OEC for little awhile. I think I’m just feeling a little nostalgic as our anniversary is approaching in a few weeks, and have really missed that set. Options really are a wonderful thing! :wavey:

Thank you so much for responding @the_mother_thing! This was so helpful, you really describe and covered the things I was pondering so well! At the risk of sounding stalker-y, I keep playing some of the videos you have posted of your ring here... it's just so gorgeous!

Love 'bonk-protection' :lol:

Last edited:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh whoops... said I'd include a pic and forgot!

IMG_1612.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results