shape
carat
color
clarity

.96 ct. Fancy Intense Greenish Yellow marquise E-W ring with strong green fluoro

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

I was browsing Replacements for fun and found this ring which looks pretty interesting. The center is a .96 ct. FIGY marquise, VS1 clarity, with strong green fluoro. The GIA report is from 3/2019. I'm on a buy ban so I can't get it to look at it, but I thought someone might be interested! I can't seem to attach the GIA report, but the report number is 6207254200.

.96 FIGY marquise ring

1575299996482.png

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that’s cool. It’s probably a bazillion dollars though— replacements seems always crazy high to me.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
IMO this is so unique but so classic at the same time, love it!

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I love that. I'm not buying either, but if I was, the price doesn't seem too outrageous.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whyyyyy, why am I poor.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love it! I just used up the end of my bling budget for the year though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

I was browsing Replacements for fun and found this ring which looks pretty interesting. The center is a .96 ct. FIGY marquise, VS1 clarity, with strong green fluoro. The GIA report is from 3/2019. I'm on a buy ban so I can't get it to look at it, but I thought someone might be interested! I can't seem to attach the GIA report, but the report number is 6207254200.

.96 FIGY marquise ring

Starfacet, you say it's FIGY, GIA's term for Fancy Intense Green Yellow.
But the ad calls it Fancy Green with no mention of any yellow or the hue being the saturation grade Intense.
Where did you see it is FIGY?
It would be understandable if you assumed that from the pics.

That might be a nice FCD, but before anyone reaches for their VISA card, buyer beware ...
A .96 ct diamond that really is fully natural and Fancy Greenwith no modifying hues (let alone Fancy Intense Green) would be worth 6 figures, not 4.

The ad says, "Natural Fancy Green Diamond"
But the value of an FCD depends on whether:
- the material was mined from the earth, or grown in a lab
- the color itself is from nature, or lab treatment
- the color grade really is Fancy Green

What establishes the answers to the above?
In USA, only a GIA report.
And that would be a report issued by the GIA itself, not just someone trained by GIA.

Any ad for an FCD with a GIA report will say so because only a GIA report will justify the eye-watering price ... especially for a fully natural pure green FCD near one carat. :-o

The stone in the pics looks overwhelming yellow, not pure green as the ad claims ... that alone is a huge red flag.
IF they're lying about that, what else might they be lying about ... the origin of material and color being natural? :think:
If that "green" FCD is synthetic the ring is worth little more than its scrap gold.

There's nothing wrong with synthetic colored diamonds, or color-treated mined diamonds.
But there is a lot wrong with sellers claiming it's natural without a GIA report to prove it.

Also, many sellers call an FCD natural when the material was mined, but the color was treated.
Not mentioning the color was treated by calling such an FCD "natural" is as fraudulent as lying about carat weight because FCD color origin has more impact on value than carat weight.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, buying an FCD without a GIA report (hoping it actually is fully natural) is a gamble.

But people vary, and many people like gambling, even though gamblers almost always lose.

Yes, I've read examples on PS of people taking the risk, sending it to GIA, and it comes back fully natural.
But I suspect the odds of that are similar to winning the lottery.
The real winners are the slimeball sellers calling FCDs natural without proof from GIA.

I not trying to be a Debby Downer in this thread.
Actually, I think I'm being an Ursula Upper.

FCDs are a minefield.
Education is the only defense.

Last edited:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA report attached

Attachments

• GIA marq 6207254200.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 40

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.32.22 PM.jpg

Thanks, Starfacet.
I did not notice you put the GIA report info in your OP; I just jumped to the link to the seller.
My bad.
I apologize.

But the GIA report is not even mentioned in the ad. :eek-2:
Where did you find it?

While my posts here now look uncalled for, at least it's legit info for a good cause, and may benefit readers in the future.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.33.44 PM.jpg

I'm still not giving that seller a pass for calling a Greenish Yellow FCD pure Green. :nono:
That's a huge lie since pure green is 5 GIA hue grades (and therefore price levels) above Yellowish Green.

Per GIA's standards there are 4 possible combinations of two hues.
I've listed them in order of value, with the most valuable combo (the most green) last:

Greenish Yellow
Green Yellow
Yellow Green
Yellowish Green

But then, pure Green is a a zillion bucks more expensive than any of those four 2-hue combinations.

For the seller to list a Greenish Yellow (the cheapest) as pure green (priced like a nice house) is inexcusable.

Last edited:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.32.22 PM.jpg

Thanks, Starfacet.
I did not notice you put the GIA report info in your OP; I just jumped to the link to the seller.
My bad.
I apologize.

But the GIA report is not even mentioned in the ad. :eek-2:
Where did you find it?

While my posts here now look uncalled for, at least it's legit info for a good cause, and may benefit readers in the future.

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 3.33.44 PM.jpg

I'm still not giving that seller a pass for calling a Greenish Yellow FCD pure Green. :nono:
That's a huge lie since pure green is 5 GIA hue grades (and therefore price levels) above Yellowish Green.

Per GIA's standards there are 4 possible combinations of two hues.
I've listed them in order of value, with the most valuable combo (the most green) last:

Greenish Yellow
Green Yellow
Yellow Green
Yellowish Green

But then, pure Green is a a zillion bucks more expensive than any of those four 2-hue combinations.

For the seller to list a Greenish Yellow (the cheapest) as pure green (priced like a nice house) is inexcusable.
Hi @kenny no problem! I saw it in the search results under the jewelry tab.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191202-185521.png
    Screenshot_20191202-185521.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20191202-185521.png
    Screenshot_20191202-185521.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 40

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @kenny no problem! I saw it in the search results under the jewelry tab.

Thanks Starfacet.
Sorry, but I'm clueless ..... you wrote, "search results under the jewelry tab"

Is that on PS or on Replacements.com?

If on PS, I clicked on the Search thing at the top but found no jewelry tab.
All I see is this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 5.07.30 PM.jpg

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the Replacements site. I was actually there to look at Waterford crystal but couldn't resist looking at jewelry.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And under jewelry I searched rings, that's where I saw the ring and cert number in the screenshot.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty but I see no green in that stone!?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a cool looking ring!! I’ve been on replacements, but never realized there was jewelry. I sifted through dozens of pages - my oh my - I get why some ppl aren’t wearing these pieces anymore. It was a time warp!!! A few interesting rings like this one you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results