shape
carat
color
clarity

925 or plated?

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
I bought this topaz bracelet for my girlfriend for her birthday. I haven't given it to her yet and I recently got it out of the box and while looking at the clasp I noticed patches where it looks like the silver has scraped off. It is stamped 925 and it is illegal to stamp anything but stirling silver with 925 in Australia so I am unsure what is going on. Have I been ripped off? Or is this real 925 silver? If it is, any idea why this would happen and how to fix it before I give it to my girlfriend?

20130829_161805.jpg

_9432.jpg

_9433.jpg

_9434.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get it from a reputable vendor? I was going to suggest that the rhodium plating has worn off but those are huge "scratches". My silver items never looked like that with wear and tear. If it is within the return period, I would exchange it for an undamaged replacement.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Eeeek! My first thought was rhodium plated silver as well but those scratches are not acceptable.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
return the item.
I have lots of silver, mostly rings.
i'm rough with them and I have never ever seen one of them have damage such as you've shown.

Matt_95

Rough_Rock
The return period was 14 days, so unfortunately it is over, I could still return it if it is a faulty item, however I somehow don't think scratches would be considered faulty. If it is a base metal plated with silver I could definitely return it as they could be in trouble with the law for stamping it 925. So do you think it could be stirling silver that has been rhodium plated? Would the scratches be silver that has tarnished? If that's the case could it be replated? I assume the scratches would have happened when someone was trying to force the clasp open.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results