shape
carat
color
clarity

900 vs 950 Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DM

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I plan on getting my ring from James Allen, and the ring is 900 platinum. I think the industry standard is 950 so why are their rings 900. Also am I missing out on a better quality here. thanks in advance.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 4:22:42 PM
Author:DM
Hi All,
I plan on getting my ring from James Allen, and the ring is 900 platinum. I think the industry standard is 950 so why are their rings 900. Also am I missing out on a better quality here. thanks in advance.
No worries. 950 is a global standard (not industry) but 900 Platinum-Iridium is a popular US standard - not worse in any way. As with all of the choice alloys, the skill of the craftsman is what's most important. Good metalsmiths choose according to their preferences and the design goals of the piece.

Some information on common alloys used in jewelry:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/47/1/An-Overview-Of-Common-Alloys-Used-In-Jewelry.aspx

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 4:22:42 PM
Author:DM
Hi All,
I can think of two designers who use 900. Mark Morrell and Ocean Pearlman. Mark uses it exclusively to my knowledge, I requested to use it with Ocean. I did my research and found that I *preferred* to have 900 over 950 (stronger, harder, slightly whiter).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results