shape
carat
color
clarity

.90 under $3000 Possible?

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! I have been enlisted to help find someone a diamond yay! Well I guess YOU all have been enlisted lol

His hopes were a 1ctw at least H color in Platinum 6 prong (close to Tiffany as possible) but only has a $3000 budget. I already advised this is probably not realistic.
BUT is it possible to get a .90ish for $3000 or less? I ask because I found this:

Shape Round
Weight 0.900
Color G
Clarity SI1
Cut Grade Excellent
Lab GIA
Price Per Carat
Total Price $2,978.35

Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Depth 62.70%
Table Percent 57.00%
Crown Angle 36.00
Crown Height 16.00
Pavilion Angle 40.60
Pavilion Depth 43.00
Girdle Min Medium
Girdle Max Slightly Thick
Girdle Condition Faceted
Measurements 6.11 x 6.15 x 3.84
Culet Size None
Culet Condition
Fluorescence Intensity Medium

Thoughts? and Thank you!:)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A few things to keep in mind:

0.90 is an important pricing threshold in diamonds so 90ish covers both sides. A 0.88 will be considerably less than an otherwise similar 0.90.

Mountings aren't free. Neither is setting, sizing, documenting, and other labor components. Depending on how similar you need to be to Tiffany, which Tif item you're comparing to, and where you get it, the non-diamond part of this will take up many hundreds of dollars, possibly even approaching a thousand.

Don't forget sales taxes. Again, it's likely to come to several hundred dollars, and yes you will probably owe it even if you buy online.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Thank you :)

Anyone have thoughts on the diamond specs I posted? Or suggestions for a diamond under $3000 that is at least H and as close to .90 as possible?

Thanks everyone!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one that I like:

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3157554

Not an H, but pretty close to it. It has a nice cut. Can be paired with a simple solitaire setting, like this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...mfort-fit-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7086

However, if it is me, I would probably go with this: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...0.834-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104094817065 (pics will be probably posted tomorrow) The blue fluoro will definitely help the color! I will also pick this setting which is extremely close to the actual Tiffany solitaire: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-half-round-5478

Here is another one from BN that looks promising: https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD08689487

Also, would he be at all interested in a slightly different type of round? There is this beautiful AVR that fits the budget: https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond...GS--SI2-diamond-stock-12902-cert-104075631002

Last edited:

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! He said def not J and prefer not I
So the biggest size possible in at least H

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
The link does not work for the blue nile one

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has he seen ideal cut H, next to an I, next to a J? I have had all three colors and while I can distinguish a little bit of difference, I would say that it is really hard to do. My last J with blue fluorescence looked whiter than the "I" that I ultimately decided to keep.
Due to his budget and his wish list, something has to give, I hope that he understands that ;-)

I is a pretty save color, especially when in a solitaire.
But here is a pic that I like to use as a comparison - a J (without fluoro) next to a D:
IMG_3275.JPG

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The link does not work for the blue nile one
You need to right click open if you are on your PC or press hold and open in a new tab, if on your phone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or cut and paste for blue nile

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
She has seen an Ideal cut I set and could detect color from the side which is why he said H
I dont believe either of them have seen side by side

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
Has he seen ideal cut H, next to an I, next to a J? I have had all three colors and while I can distinguish a little bit of difference, I would say that it is really hard to do. My last J with blue fluorescence looked whiter than the "I" that I ultimately decided to keep.
Due to his budget and his wish list, something has to give, I hope that he understands that ;-)

I is a pretty save color, especially when in a solitaire.
But here is a pic that I like to use as a comparison - a J (without fluoro) next to a D:
IMG_3275.JPG
Is the round a D? Lol

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
If anyone has any more suggestions I would appreciate it :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No it doesn't. HCA wasn't one of your parameters. The SI2 is probably marginal too. Then again, it fits the budget and it's OVER 0.90, which seems to be your #1 thing.

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
I guess I should clarify, cut is number one thing, while he would like something close to .90 and at least an H, the biggest whitest WELL CUT stone is what he is after within his budget. Do you still think this is still worth a look?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I should clarify, cut is number one thing, while he would like something close to .90 and at least an H, the biggest whitest WELL CUT stone is what he is after within his budget. Do you still think this is still worth a look?
No, I would look into the BGD I recommended above:http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...0.878-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104094817055
Guarantee that this one will face up whiter than an H and the fluoro will even eliminate color from the profile. You can have the vendor compare it next to an H.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I would look into the BGD I recommended above:http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...0.878-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104094817055
Guarantee that this one will face up whiter than an H and the fluoro will even eliminate color from the profile. You can have the vendor compare it next to an H.

This is a lovely stone. It's right at the 0.90 ct mark and will look like 0.90 ct. It's super eye clean at VS2, and it's very well cut. It's an I, but it will look white. I have a 3.33 ct I, and it is super white (and larger stones show color more). If your friend still won't budge on color, then he/she either needs to come to terms that there needs to be an increase in the budget or a decrease in size to get the H color. It is going to be very hard to check all the boxes with the budget given.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The biggest, whitest WELL CUT stone (around 0.85-0.9 ct) in his budget that is eye clean is going to be an I or J. Not being a Debbie downer, just realistic. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call Yekutiel at IDJ and see if he can find you a unicorn... He's been known to do that. :) I would also consider 60/60 stones with great performance. They will throw more white light, which will help make it look whiter and brighter, and they face up larger (although have less fire).

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
He is way off in his expectations for his budget.

This one is beautifully cut IF it is eyeclean (ask):
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3193741

Best cut and an awesome deal because it is a fraction of a point below .80:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3833727.htm

The Whiteflash stone would be my choice.

Thank you all so much!

I put the BG stone on hold as they do not have images yet. Is this a better choice than either of these?

jewels2

Shiny_Rock
This is a lovely stone. It's right at the 0.90 ct mark and will look like 0.90 ct. It's super eye clean at VS2, and it's very well cut. It's an I, but it will look white. I have a 3.33 ct I, and it is super white (and larger stones show color more). If your friend still won't budge on color, then he/she either needs to come to terms that there needs to be an increase in the budget or a decrease in size to get the H color. It is going to be very hard to check all the boxes with the budget given.

I put the BG on hold he is willing to look at an I since I explained the FL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's good news. I think he'll be blown away by the BG stone. Even without fluoro, an I stone in that size is going to be white for sure. The AGS Ideal cut is super beneficial, and the fluoro is the icing on the cake. :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the same price, the BGD "I" with fluoro will be my choice. The WF H would be my second as I definitely value size more over barely noticeable color difference. The I with fluoro may even show up whiter than the H without fluoro.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

HCA 2.4 - Worth buying if the price is right.

I'm not as big a fan of the HCA for evaluating which GIA stone is the 'most excellent' as some others here, but 'if the price is right' is your biggest limiting factor. Is this worth considering? Maybe. It's on the cheap end of the price range and that always raises questions. There's SOMETHING going on here. It's not the best GIA-x there ever was, but it's still a GIA-x. My guess would be the issue is the SI2 clarity but that's one for the dealer or maybe whoever looks at it after you get it. It's in the database for a skosh under $2300. That leaves enough for a mounting, taxes, shipping, and so on while staying on budget. As far as a quick search shows, it's one of only 2 or 3 stones n the whole database here that meets your stated specs (GIA, excellent cut, 0.9x, H, SI2+, platinum ring, under $3,000 total). Adding HCA<2 reduces that to zero.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results