shape
carat
color
clarity

90-facet Diamond Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ben

Rough_Rock
Hello,In browsing for diamonds for an engagement ring, I stumbled across a website which advertises a 90-facet "Solstar" diamond cut, and wondered what any of you might make of this.
http://www.4EverDiamonds.com/ Any opinions?Thanks,Ben

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at the Solstar diamonds. They claim better brilliance and scintillation but say nothing about dispersion (those beautiful rainbow colors that fly from a well-cut diamond, especially in lower lighting).They have no GIA or AGS certs. They only claim to come with an IGI appraisal. These are appraisals of the mounted stone I believe. IGI labs do appear to cater to the sellers they serve and are not considered by many experts to be as consistent/reliable as GIA and AGS.These prices seem high to me considering that they do not come with the more desirable certs. If you love it, go for it and have it checked out by an independent appraiser (someone who does not sell diamonds).lawmax

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Over the years there have been many diamonds that exceeded the standard 58 facets. To date I don't think any have lived very long (customer interest). I remember the 144 facet stone.....Rock you remember the name? Very pretty, but a well cut 58 facet brilliant was much nicer in my opinion.------------------

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I haven't seen this one yet, but you might want to consider having it checked out by us.IGI however, is not the lab of "choice" by many experts. Stick with GIA or AGS.rockdoc
------------------

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone. This 90 facet diamond would have a high degree of scintillation but would result in less 'spectral flash'. You would not notice the 'prismatic colors' of the rainbow as much. If anyone is interested in this diamond the sensible thing to do would be to compare a well cut modern round brilliant cut diamond with this 90 facet diamond side-by-side and under different lighting conditions. If I were there comparing the two I believe that I would probably choose a well cut modern round brilliant cut diamond. Martin Sheffield
USA Certed Diamonds www.usacerteddiamonds.com ------------------

canarydiamond.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
HI Steve..
Sure I remember the 144... and believe it or not, its still being manufactured.I agree with your conclusion about it, it just looked to "busy", and was all white flash, no fire....I haven't yet seen the diamonds offered by Kirk Root, but I have read a little about them. I;m real curious to see them but I still have to say .. the best so far hands DOWN, is the Eighstar.This doesn't mean there aren't other very incredibly cut stones out there... There are!I'm going to be traveling soon to really film some diamond cutting by dissection, and will be publishing those images in my book.Gonna be fun.....
rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results