shape
carat
color
clarity

8mm pearl studs vs. 8mm ruby studs

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this in the Pearls forum, but thought the experts here could help me too. ;))

I have a pair of 8mm white pearl studs, which look great on me. Now I am thinking about getting a pair of faceted ruby studs. Would 8mm cushion ruby studs appear significantly larger than 8mm pearl studs? I don't know if I should go smaller than 8mm, e.g. 7.5mm, 7mm, or 6.5mm.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I don't know for sure but white might appear larger than something in red. It will be really really hard to find two matching rubies at that size unless they are heavily treated. And pricey.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi kitten :wavey: I don't mind treatment, as long as it is disclosed and the gem looks pretty.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Look, I'm here and in pearls! :wavey:

Here's a handy earring sizer; http://www.bluenile.com/earring_scale_pop.jsp

I think 8mm in a ruby would be close to a 2.5 carat stone. I hope someone will double-check for me. :wavey: So earring TW would be something like 5 carats.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi iLander, the model in the earring sizer has huge earlobes! 2ctw studs on me is like 4ctw on her. ;))

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
What's your budget for these? If you're looking to get these for less than several thousand dollars I would just go straight to lab created. They'll probably look prettier and you won't have to worry about lead glass filling and the issues that that brings.

You can read what Wink wrote about lead glass rubies here.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kismet, cost is not a concern for me, but I would like to get more bang for the buck, so maybe lab created ones is the way to go? And if it turns out too big on me, I could get smaller & natural ones later? Sounds good to me. ::)

That lead glass filled ruby looks awful :-o

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Ah well if you're not on a budget then Richard Wise has some pairs you might want to inquire about, although none as big as 8mm. You might also check out Pala.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
Kismet|1307108182|2936839 said:
Ah well if you're not on a budget then Richard Wise has some pairs you might want to inquire about, although none as big as 8mm. You might also check out Pala.

My eyes almost popped out when I saw this one (it is sold): http://rwwise.com/products/id|877
I am going to check with him. 8)

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock
Cookie|1307050639|2936449 said:
I posted this in the Pearls forum, but thought the experts here could help me too. ;))

I have a pair of 8mm white pearl studs, which look great on me. Now I am thinking about getting a pair of faceted ruby studs. Would 8mm cushion ruby studs appear significantly larger than 8mm pearl studs? I don't know if I should go smaller than 8mm, e.g. 7.5mm, 7mm, or 6.5mm.
Isn't that like asking what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of steel?
Isn't 8mm, 8mm regardless?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1307107414|2936833 said:
What's your budget for these? If you're looking to get these for less than several thousand dollars I would just go straight to lab created. They'll probably look prettier and you won't have to worry about lead glass filling and the issues that that brings.

You can read what Wink wrote about lead glass rubies here.

I agree.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Well I hope you find the perfect earrings. I really love the kitties in your pic. How old are they?

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1307139358|2937196 said:
Well I hope you find the perfect earrings. I really love the kitties in your pic. How old are they?

Thank you kitten! I will post once I find them.

The kitties in the picture -- they are not mine; I wish they are!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh. Well they are sweet together. Mine looked kind of like those when they were young. I adopted cat brothers.
Any luck with the earrings?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results