carat
color
clarity

8K gold/diamond ring?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,

I stumbled upon this ring on Etsy and I really like it. However, it's made in 8k gold, which I know nothing about. Is it softer than 14k or 18k? Why would you use 8k as opposed to the more well known 14k or 18k? Also, the description mentions that the top of the ring is made in silver. I believe this is to make it appear more "antiquey" as I know that silver was used long before platinum or white gold...will the silver tarnish? How will I keep the ring clean since I'd imagine that silver polish will completely destroy the rest of the setting...

Any/all thoughts welcome. The designer seems really open to ideas, so I'm sure if I want some changes made, he'd be happy to do so.

Thanks for your suggestions!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/32220151/ot ... -brilliant

Sniven

Rough_Rock
I know 9kt gold is used in the UK for some modern jewellery.

14 or 18kt gold should be softer than 8kt. The designer probably used it for it's durability and cost effectiveness.

Over time the silver would tarnish. I am not sure if silver polish or cleaner would have a huge negative effect on the rest of the setting, but I have no real experience with silver/gold combo settings.

Sorry I couldn't help too much, but I am sure others will be able to.

-Sniven

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Sniven!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you e-mail the person who made the ring? I am going back to look at the description again, but the first thing that occurred to me was that it might be a typographical error and that the description might have been supposed to read 18K. 9K is very common, but 8K is odd.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
Did you e-mail the person who made the ring? I am going back to look at the description again, but the first thing that occurred to me was that it might be a typographical error and that the description might have been supposed to read 18K. 9K is very common, but 8K is odd.

Deb/AGBF

Definitely agree with AGBF here, email the person for clarifications, also there has been a lot of vendors using recycled gold. Verify and confirm.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it is a typo. All her items say 8k.

ValentinesJewelryDesign

Rough_Rock
Trade
It is illegal to sell anything in the US as gold unless it is 10K or higher. If they are selling to a US consumer there could be legal ramifications. 10K gold is only 41% gold and 59% other alloy metals....just think about how little gold is in 8K...33%. The FTC says that 10k is the minimum that one can legally call "Gold".

Matt

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ValentinesJewelryDesign said:
It is illegal to sell anything in the US as gold unless it is 10K or higher. If they are selling to a US consumer there could be legal ramifications. 10K gold is only 41% gold and 59% other alloy metals....just think about how little gold is in 8K...33%. The FTC says that 10k is the minimum that one can legally call "Gold".

Thanks for the heads up, Matt. The vendor is in Turkey. Consumers have to buy from her there and have items shipped.

Deb/AGBF

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'll email the jeweler and ask....thanks!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
8 karat gold is a low gold karat standard of Germany, much like 9 karat is the low gold standard of the UK. It does tarnish a bit, but it is a durable product for the most part. It is not legal to sell jewelry in the USA as "Gold" below 10 karat, but it can be legally sold as a product, just not referred to as "gold" in advertising. It is a gold alloy product in the USA. It is not supposed to be karat stamped with less than 10K and if it was the US Customs might block an import of such an item. One item at a time is not a major concern of a governmental agency and things slip past.

I used to buy garnet rings from Germany with silver tops and 10 karat shanks. In Germany they were silver topped with 8 karat shanks and in the UK they made them for use there with 9 karat shanks. Not everyone uses the same minimum standard.

Since this ring is from Turkey and ships from there, US Customs might seize it for being 8 karat if it is stamped or invoiced as "Gold" when it enters the country. For $1700 you can't ship it in without Customs looking at it. A low value item might get by, but not one of this value most likely. You might pay and end up with no ring.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well,he also works in 18k, so I'll see what he charges for 18k. It would be awful to buy this ring and not receive it!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oldminer said:
8 karat gold is a low gold karat standard of Germany, much like 9 karat is the low gold standard of the UK. It does tarnish a bit, but it is a durable product for the most part. It is not legal to sell jewelry in the USA as "Gold" below 10 karat, but it can be legally sold as a product, just not referred to as "gold" in advertising. It is a gold alloy product in the USA. It is not supposed to be karat stamped with less than 10K and if it was the US Customs might block an import of such an item. One item at a time is not a major concern of a governmental agency and things slip past.

I used to buy garnet rings from Germany with silver tops and 10 karat shanks. In Germany they were silver topped with 8 karat shanks and in the UK they made them for use there with 9 karat shanks. Not everyone uses the same minimum standard.

Since this ring is from Turkey and ships from there, US Customs might seize it for being 8 karat if it is stamped or invoiced as "Gold" when it enters the country. For $1700 you can't ship it in without Customs looking at it. A low value item might get by, but not one of this value most likely. You might pay and end up with no ring.

As always, you are a font of valuable information, Dave. Thank you for chiming in. I am a gold aficionado, but I never knew anything at all about 8K gold in Germany or that 8K gold was commonly used with silver (as seems to be the case?). Both the Etsy vendor and the Germans who made garnet rings used a mixture of 8K gold and silver (fine silver? sterling silver?). Was I right to infer that this was a common combination in jewelry?

Deb/AGBF

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It was common for these "Bohemian garnet" rings and earrings, etc, to be made in sterling silver with yellow gold plating, Vermeil, on them. For a more durable and slightly more costly product they used gold shanks, but tended to use low karat gold to control the price points. We generally had them make us 14 karat with silver tops as the market here liked 14 karat gold and no explanations were needed. Some of the heaviest items we made in all silver, gold plated, and a few we used 10 karat with silver. The ear wires were always 14 karat to prevent allergic reactions.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really interesting Oldminer, thank you for sharing your knowledge. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results