shape
carat
color
clarity

.85 vs 1.1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

skarim

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I know this question is going to come down to a matter of personal taste and budget, but thought would get ideas anyway.

I was about to order a 1.1 c RB from a PS vendor , but then reconsidered, wondering about a 0.84 C diamond from the same vendor.

Both diamonds are G, VS1, AGS000, with HCA scores of 1.1 to 1.4, premium branded.

There is a $1700 difference between the two, which I''m wondering is really worth it for a difference of 0.5 mm diameter, that will then be mounted in a pt solitaire. Is the larger one going to look nearly $2000 nicer? Subjective question, I know. She is petite with 4.5 ring size, with friends who probably have ~1 C stones.

Thoughts appreciated.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends on if she is size obsessed or not. All other things being equal, if she has not expressed her desire for a bigger stone, I would save the $ and put it toward the wedding. But that is just me...

It is important for many women to have over 1 ct. So if your GF is one of them, spring for the bigger stone. Otherwise, only YOU can know whether you can afford the bigger one or not.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Get the larger stone. It will possibly prevent her from wanting to upgrade, and she can tell her friends its 1 carat. Its worth it. Is it REALLY worth it financially, and short term? No. So I feel your pain, but get the larger better stone.

-G

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
go for the 1.1. shrinkage sets in---and fast...lol

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
If you can afford it, go with the larger!! I am not typically materialistic, but my dh chose a lovely, .78/vs1/g when we were engaged. I requested either wh gold or platinum. He chose a platinum setting with small sidestones. I thought the ring was very pretty and I know he was going for quality, but I remember thinking that I would have been more happy with a simple, wh gold setting- h color-vs2-quality and a 1+ carat. I WOULD HAVE NEVER SAID THAT THOUGH!!!

Get the 1ct baby if you can!!
18.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Larger, for sure.

Sounds like you have picked out some nice stones.

Half a millimeter is quite a big difference in this stone size. One would certainly notice it.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Definately the 1.1! I''ve just gotton my 2.2 RB 2 weeks ago, and already it''s beginning to look small
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the larger one as well, if you can swing it. And she''ll appreciate the size down the road.

Kelkel

Rough_Rock
I'd say go with the 1.1 too. In fact, if you want to save money, try H, VS2 but still stick with 1 carat or above. I bought my girlfriend/fiancee a 1.04ct round (my only diamond purchase in life) and it doesn't appear big on her size 4.25 finger. I'm really glad I didn't "play it safe" and went with Tiffany, because that would mean a .76ct for her, given the same budget.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely go for the 1.1. Trust me, she''ll want to tell people that it''s a carat, instead of under a carat. PLus, you will definitely notice a size difference. If you go to a mall a lot of the mass-market jewelry stores have rings lined up according to size in their cases - .25, .50, .75, 1.0 carat. You will see a big difference in the sizes, even in just a 1/4 carat difference once mounted.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Live large
9.gif
I was in your gf''s situation and would have chosen >1ct--had I been asked. Now that I''ve upgraded, I''m a happy camper
31.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Go for one that has 6.5mm (1ct) or even one closer to 6.8mm or 7mm (premium cut 1.12 to ideal cut 1.25 ct.) if you can swing that.

I have worn 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm diameter, all G or H. I usually can't tell the difference between G and H unless I turn them upside down and do a side by side comparison. I'd be just as happy with VS2 as VS1, and I probably can't tell the difference between them most of the time.

However, diameter (=area) gets noticed more than color. The 6mm (.75 to .8ct) looks large at first, but after you wear it a while, you get so that you can immediately see a difference between 3/4 ct and 1 ct size and you start liking 1 cts stones more. (I don't have the 6mm stone anymore.) I mounted my 6mm in a boxy illusion head and then I was completely happy with it but I gave it back to my ex when we separated. The 6.8 or 7mm diameter is really impressive, maybe 10% more cost. People notice it's larger that 1 ct but it's a really wearable size.

SBee

Rough_Rock
Going against the grain here...

I don''t personally care for stones bigger than 1 carat and actually prefer them to be a bit smaller (3/4''s area)...(hmmm not that I''d turn down something bigger, mind you!)

I have large hands (ring size 6.5) and proportionately speaking, I think about .90 LOOKS best on my finger...but I''m not the least bit flashy in my appearance, and prefer to keeps things a little modest. Also, just the nature of my day to day activities (I''m often in rough spots in town) make me weary of wearing anything remotely big. That being said, I do really like my D''s and VS1+''s hehe...

But yeah, as people have noted already in this thread, it all depends on the personality of YOUR lady. Most of my friends have diamonds that are much smaller than 1.00c, and I can''t see any of them ever deciding to upgrade, but I definitely have a few other pals that insist on having 1.00c+ and are obviously (unfortunately) displeased with their partner''s choice of rock.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go for the 1.1 ct without a doubt. If budget is an issue, I agree with Kelkel-I think you could safely go for an eyeclean H/SI1, especially in an AGS 000 ideal cut stone.

It will look great on her (a 1.1 will not look too large on a size 4.5, I promise) and she''ll be able to tell her friends it''s over a carat!

skarim

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the thoughts.
You''re a bunch of budget busters!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results