shape
carat
color
clarity

81 Facet Round - Is this price competitive?

NewMC

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have virtually no experience with diamonds, only what I've read doing some online research. I have looked at a few places but I'm still not comfortable judging diamond values. I am ready to buy an engagement ring and I want to make sure the diamond I'm looking at is priced competitively. This is an 81 facet round diamond, I don't know the table, depth, or cutter. This diamond is 1.22 carat, rated as a VS1, cut is considered Very good, color H. The certificate is EGL Israel and there are no visible inclusions. The sales person showed me five diamonds very near the same weight and up to 1.34 carat, some were noticeably bigger but none looked as clear or reflective as this particular diamond. Does this seem like a good price? Thank you for your time.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is the price?

Anyway, there are several unknowns in your search for a competitive price.

EGL is known to be soft on color and clarity grading, especially EGL Israel, so much so that the trade automatically trade it at a discount amongst themselves. You might be buying a K SI2/I1 for all we know.

It is a fancy cut, extra effort is taken to cut it, might be branded, these adds to the price tag.

NewMC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, the price is right at $8650. She actually told me that they had moved the rating up for color and cut from the original.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewMC|1316472170|3020972 said:
Thanks for your reply, the price is right at $8650. She actually told me that they had moved the rating up for color and cut from the original.

What does that mean? From the original what? Was it graded twice? Make sure you look at the stone in all different kinds
of lighting. Do they have a return policy? Can you buy it and compare it with some other well-known well cut stones?

Here is a regular RB EGL Israel for comparison ($6405)...like SC said, your stone could be branded and would carry a premium.
http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=86876260&flag=ps

The cost on non-egl stones at the same size/color/clarity are around $10k-ish.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2531912.htm

NewMC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input and the links tyty. I'm not sure if it is branded or not, the listed EGL Israel grading is H, VS1, with excellent/ideal cut, she told me their buyers had actually graded it higher in color and clarity before purchasing it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a good chance it would be graded a couple of grades lower in color/clarity if graded by AGS or GIA. EGL Israel is known
to be loose in their grading.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would keep looking. You have NO IDEA what you're buying and they're feeding you a bunch of BS. If you want a modified round, check out a Star129 at Good Old Gold.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
ame|1316524026|3021270 said:
I would keep looking. You have NO IDEA what you're buying and they're feeding you a bunch of BS. If you want a modified round, check out a Star129 at Good Old Gold.

Ditto ame. I have seen the Star129 brand in person and they are great stones if you are looking for a diamond with more facets.

I have also seen store-brand 81-facet cut diamonds in a locally-owned jewelry store. The store calls these diamonds their proprietary cut and the brand is "The [Store Name] 81." The store claims that they are cut for the store. The store says they don't go by grading labs grades (red flag!) and they do their own grading in-house (red flag!). The store definitely charges a premium for them. I see them all the time on Craigslist (people trying to sell them) so you might want to check your local Craigslist to see how many people are trying to unload these stones.

Also, you say that the 81-facet stone looked noticeably nicer than the other diamonds the store showed you. They often do this on purpose -- they'll pair their expensive branded cut next to some so-so diamonds to make you think that you are getting a better diamond, when really all you're getting is a diamond that looks nicer than the other cra*p they stock. To really know how the 81-facet compares to other diamonds, you would need to purchase it (with a guaranteed return period for full refund, not store credit) and take it to a place that carries AGS 0 graded stones, for example, Jared's Peerless brand or a Hearts on Fire dealer.

I can also tell you that another reason the 81-facet stone may have looked nicer than the other stones the store was showing you is that the 81-facet stone is cut to perform extremely well in spotlighting (i.e., jewelry store lighting). It may not look as nice to your eye in office or home lighting, unless you spend a lot of time under spotlights, that is :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I currently wear a Star129 and have also owned others in the past and I love them. GOG is the only online vendor I know that can get them, and if you tell him what you want, and your budget they can try to find you a winner.

NewMC

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input, this is engraved as a "forever after diamond" and I assumed EGL Israel based off of their website diamond search, she told me it was certified by an independent grading body. They are a Hearts on Fire dealer/seller. Thanks again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results