shape
carat
color
clarity

"80% of diamonds sold are not certified"???

heiny

Rough_Rock
I heard this statement from a jeweler yesterday. Any truth to this, or is this part of a sales pitch?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be true. Especially if you count small melee diamonds, which aren't sent to labs for reports because it's not cost effective. But even if it IS true, it doesn't negate the need for a lab report for a consumer to know what they're getting and if they're paying a fair price for it.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
80% of diamond sold are industrial, so that is true.

If we are talking in units, 80% of jewelry-diamonds sold are small and/or less valuable because of color/clarity, and thus not certified. Again true.

Of those valuable enough to make the cost of certification economically worthwhile, I would say that more than 80% are certified.

Whether you consider it true, valid or a sales-pitch basically depends upon context.

Live long,

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it could easily be true. I know my engagement ring was bought 2nd hand is isn't certified. It doesn't matter if it's true or not though. If you want a certified diamond then get one. A jeweller saying that to you just sounds like hype and a sales pitch.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is most likely true but it doesn't mean that you should buy one of those diamonds that do not come with a lab report.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s amazing how truth is a matter of context. Most diamonds are industrial. Of the ones that are left, most are under 0.10cts. That’s why you see so many tennis bracelets, halos and similar clusters. I would venture to guess that it’s more like 99% of diamonds are never seen by a lab. So what?

I’m reminded of the sellers that describe their stones as ‘Earth mined’. Really? I suppose that's probably true but is it really a feature? I would happily pay a healthy premium for one that that was mined somewhere else.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought my engagement ring in 1988 in the diamond district of NYC and no one ever mentioned certing a stone.. I would like to get my stone certed but I've got to get it out of the setting and send it off, hubby does NOT like that idea.. :(

Rhea|1389192545|3588814 said:
I agree, it could easily be true. I know my engagement ring was bought 2nd hand is isn't certified. It doesn't matter if it's true or not though. If you want a certified diamond then get one. A jeweller saying that to you just sounds like hype and a sales pitch.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In this context, it sounds exactly like a sales pitch to me.
It seems unfortunately all too common that when the seller of diamonds wants to avoid selling accurately grated stones, they attempt to convince the buyer that a GIA report is not necessary.
Unless it is a very minor purchase, a very small stone, or very inexpensive stone for its size, do not fall for this line

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
It's not worth the cost to get lab reports on low grade or small stones, which make up the vast majority that come out of the ground. The saleman is trying to make you think his stones are superior because they have a cert with them. But unless the lab was AGS or GIA, I wouldn't consider that cert to be worth much.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1389195284|3588835 said:
It's not worth the cost to get lab reports on low grade or small stones, which make up the vast majority that come out of the ground. The saleman is trying to make you think his stones are superior because they have a cert with them. But unless the lab was AGS or GIA, I wouldn't consider that cert to be worth much.

I took it the other way - He has stones that aren't certed, so in an effort to sell one he's saying that since most diamonds aren't certed, it really isn't necessary. Either way, definitely sounds like a sales pitch to me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1389197287|3588861 said:
Andelain|1389195284|3588835 said:

I took it the other way - He has stones that aren't certed, so in an effort to sell one he's saying that since most diamonds aren't certed, it really isn't necessary. Either way, definitely sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Same here. I totally believe it is true. Go in the average mall or low-end jewelry store and see how many of their engagement rings have certed stones in them. If they are, it is from an XYZ nothing lab. Just because it is true doesn't make it a good reason to buy uncerted.

heiny

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. I didn't consider the smaller stones in his 80%. But this was pretty much a way to convince me a grading cert wasn't necessary.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
heiny|1389200053|3588910 said:
Thanks for the input. I didn't consider the smaller stones in his 80%. But this was pretty much a way to convince me a grading cert wasn't necessary.
If the budget is over, say, $2000, and the grading is important to you or is part of the pitch, then you want a credible lab involved. If you're a very nervous sort then that number will drop, if you're a very trusting sort then it'll go up. Only you can pick where it belongs but the 80% number given above means NOTHING of value.

BTW, 88.3% of statistics are made up.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Tekate|1389194391|3588822 said:
We bought my engagement ring in 1988 in the diamond district of NYC and no one ever mentioned certing a stone.. I would like to get my stone certed but I've got to get it out of the setting and send it off, hubby does NOT like that idea.. :(

Rhea|1389192545|3588814 said:
The whole business of lab grading really took off about 15-20 years ago and became sort of standard about 10 or so. Consequently, it's no great surprise that a 1988 transaction didn't involve one. Not to worry. Assuming you aren't buying or selling it, I agree with your husband, there's not much gained by getting one at this point.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting aside.

Although I sold primarily diamonds with grading reports from AGS and GIA when I had my B&M store, I rarely talked about them, even with the Crafted by Infinity diamonds. When we would do an appraisal for a client and deliver the diamond grading report with it we were often asked, "What is this? Do we need to keep it?"

I would guess that easily 80% of my clients bought the diamonds from me, not from the paper. I can not imagine selling a diamond on the net without a paper, it is the first thing that most people ask about, no matter how well you are known and respected on the net.

I think it is a true difference in how most people shop today. In many ways it has gone from, "This is my jeweler, I trust him," to "I trust you, but I want verification so where's the cert?"

Of course with our new knowledge of cutting we need those numbers off the paper too.

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with the commentary so far. Whether the statement is self serving in this case is impossible to say without knowing the context. But the facts are clearly on the seller's side! History and economics and personal perceptions all play into the fact that most diamonds sold are not accompanied by laboratory reports.

Whether a certified stone is right for a particular buyer depends on several factors. But if you are making anything more than a casual diamond purchase, getting solid third party verification is really important, especially in this day and age. And particularly if the vendor is representing a diamond as a certain gemological grade. Before even knowing the 4 c's, you want to be sure it actually is a diamond, and that you know of any treatments that might have been done to it. These are basic and preliminary procedures performed at the lab.

There is nothing inherently wrong with buying an uncertified diamond, even one of some size and value. Often diamonds are purposely not sent to the lab because the grade will be low (kill the sale before it starts), even though the diamond may have eye appeal. But I highly recommend a qualified independent appraiser evaluate the diamond. This can prevent serious disappointment later on down the line.

And if cut grade and light performance matter to you - and it should to all diamond shoppers- then a lab certificate and/or analysis by a qualified professional is essential.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Adding to the comments above: The introduction of undisclosed synthetics (man-made diamonds) into the pipeline is a major concern in the Asia-Pacific right now, and an ongoing dialogue in the trade. Diamond pressing technology has become very sophisticated and normal gemological inspection doesn't reveal those gems, but the foremost labs are capable of - and committed to - screening all diamonds submitted.

Therefore: A grading report from a major lab represents an important layer of natural-origin protection (thus value protection), which is absent in the case of diamonds with no report.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results