carat
color
clarity

80,000 vaccine doses ... wasted

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snip:
"This weekend, 80,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines will expire in Arkansas. There simply weren't enough people in the state willing to get their jab — even though cases and deaths from the delta variant are rising there at an alarming rate."

What must billions of people, unable to get the vaccine in their country, think of America?
:-o and :nono: and :doh:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
They think we're the a**h***s we most certainly are.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's disguting
Gary finally got his first jab yesterday
The nurse was of the opinion that Pfizer doesn't care about NZ due to geography and are drip feeding us supply
so far only 21 % of us have had one jab and if those figures excluded Auckland is would be even more pathetically low

Its leaving us isolated and vulnerable
i mean look at whats happening next door in Australia !!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have copied this with permission from my Bruce Springsteen forum
Its irrelevant where this lady's sister lives becsuse sisters and brothers, mothers and fathers and sons and daughters just like this sister are all around us all, every day and every where we go

"Please wear a mask for my sister. I know it’s slightly uncomfortable, but my sister needs you to wear a mask.

My sister had a kidney transplant and she is on immunosuppressive drugs to keep her body from rejecting her transplanted kidney. The transplant was years ago and she will be on these meds for life.

My sister is fully vaccinated, but several studies have shown that the vaccines are not effective for transplant recipients. My sister has been told by all her doctors that she has to act like neither she nor anyone around her is vaccinated. She needs to always wear a mask, she needs to maintain social distancing, etc. The general public is not aware of this, but there are tons of transplant recipients and they all have this same problem.

If you do not wear a mask, it is possible that you can transmit the virus, even if you are vaccinated. My sister could catch it. Unfortunately, she has double bad luck here - because she is immune suppressed, her body will likely not be able to mount an immune defense to this virus if she catches it. If she gets COVID, she might die.

My sister is 67 years old and deserves to live a lot longer. I love her and I want her to live a lot longer.

You do not know who the person near you is, or what health challenges they have, when you choose not to wear a mask. You might just kill my sister.

Wear your masks indoors if you live in an area where there is community spread. It’s not that much to ask. "

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Over the time we have all been waiting they (the govt) say 80% of NZ peeps now say they will get the vacine but im worried the longer it takes that may actually reverse as we all get covid fatigue

Some of the NZ Pacific ialand churches have been doing a great job promoting the vacine to their congregations- some who do not speak English well enough to be fully informed from unbiased sauces and who were very hesitant
Hats off to them for doing that

the situation in Fiji is heart breaking and is close enough to have influence here i would hope

The Australian situation is frighteningly close

etudes

Rough_Rock
I live in asia, my city has ran out of vaccines for second dose for several weeks already. I'm scheduled for my second jab tomorrow, but I strongly suspect it will be delayed because the city hasn't received new supply. A lot of people already miss their second jabs. The city is ramping up mass vaccination events, but they are for first jab so people waiting for second jab aren't allowed to participate :wall:

I'd love to get pfizer, moderna, or even astrazeneca, but my country mainly relies on chinese vaccines (with limited availability of astrazeneca). Moderna (and I guess pfizer later) is currently reserved for medical workers.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is likely that this is the same 80000 j&j shots that they extended the expire date on last month.
Its J&J and expired by the original rules and even people who want a vaccine are refusing it.
I dont blame them.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in asia, my city has ran out of vaccines for second dose for several weeks already. I'm scheduled for my second jab tomorrow, but I strongly suspect it will be delayed because the city hasn't received new supply. A lot of people already miss their second jabs. The city is ramping up mass vaccination events, but they are for first jab so people waiting for second jab aren't allowed to participate :wall:

I'd love to get pfizer, moderna, or even astrazeneca, but my country mainly relies on chinese vaccines (with limited availability of astrazeneca). Moderna (and I guess pfizer later) is currently reserved for medical workers.

I am concerned to read this
i thought supply issues were just here (in NZ)
I hope you get your 2nd jab asap

etudes

Rough_Rock
I am concerned to read this
i thought supply issues were just here (in NZ)
I hope you get your 2nd jab asap

Thanks, I'm crossing my fingers. My country also ordered pfizer, but I read the shipment is slated for late 2021 or early 2022. So I decided to get whatever available now, especially with delta running rampant. Overall, I think NZ's response for this pandemic is great. Indonesia tries to save economy and public health, and frankly fails both.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To let vaccines expire and not donated to countries/people who want to get vaccinated is beyond comprehension. Reprehensible. All this bad news is overwhelming.

Some bright spots if I may.
COVAX has so far shipped over 153.6 million COVID-19 vaccines to countries in need.

Snip...Viet Nam receives 3,000,060 doses of Moderna vaccine donated through the COVAX Facility by the United States Government, of which, 1,499,960 arrived in Ho Chi Minh City on 24 July 2021 and 1,500,100 doses will arrive in Hanoi on 25 July 2021. This is the second batch of Moderna vaccine to arrive in the country this month, bringing the total donation from the United States Government to Viet Nam to more than five million doses.

snip..
By the end of July, approximately 3.3 million doses donated by the U.S. government via the COVAX Facility are expected to reach Afghanistan, where health care workers are currently battling a brutal third wave of the coronavirus.

The US will donate 500m doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
They will send 55 million Covid-19 vaccine doses to countries in Latin America, Asia and Africa as the coronavirus continues to rapidly spread in low- and middle-income nations.

Globally, more than two billion doses of coronavirus vaccines have now been administered, in over 190 countries.

We still have a very long way to go.
But the delivery of Covid vaccines to low and middle income countries is an unprecedented achievement. And let's hope we continue to work together to get the world vaccinated and end the pandemic.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My freind lives in Massachusetts
Please Americans (and everyone else) if you can have the vacine please get it

I could have written this about my Dad, who is also a kidney transplant patient on lifetime immunosuppressants. It’s terrifying! And we live in the Southeast where my kids start school tomorrow, masks optional (ie no one will wear them).

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Kept reading about massive donations but the reality on the ground re: vaccine shortages in various parts of the world don’t add up so I did some quick Google search and reading…

Only around 60 per cent of the 115m jabs promised through direct bilateral donations have so far arrived, while the Covax distribution scheme has received fewer than one per cent of the roughly 530m surplus doses pledged by wealthy countries. “

2E34CAA2-0EDA-4381-8819-17AD8C141F0E.jpeg
and

“There are growing concerns that delays distributing these jabs will trigger a surge in supply come autumn, when wealthy countries are finishing their vaccination campaigns and share surplus shots in bulk.

“If donations all come at once, or countries start offloading them all at the end of the year, I don’t think Covax or recipient countries would be in the position where [they could efficiently distribute vaccines],” says Ms Casey.”

From: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...no-jabs-reality-global-vaccine-diplomacy/amp/

Also:

“Expired vaccines that are ‘okay’ don't help vaccine confidence at all,” said Dr Alakjia. “It really has been perceived as giving leftovers to the needy.”

from: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...id-vaccine-shelf-life-african-nations-forced/

Hope what happened in Brazil and India doesn’t happen in other countries in the months to come. Every shot of vaccine helps.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another large problem is vaccine hesitancy in those other countries where vaccines are being donated. Unfortunately some vaccines there are going unused due to reluctance to get the vaccine. Due to mistrust etc. Just another hurdle we have to get through as a world.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Because of distributed/donated vaccines that are close to expiry, known to have potentially fatal effects (and still restricted or not allowed to be used in some developed countries), or known to be less effective against the Delta variant. Not many mRNA ones are donated or available, or if available, are so precious that they are being reserved for medical workers first (and rightly so given real life implications like the medical workers tragedy in Indonesia).

I know people who go through that decision process in real life. If you are a 40 yo woman, would you take AstraZeneca vaccine given that
Canada and France have restricted the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab to people 55 and over, while Germany has set the bar at 60, and Iceland 70.” And it’s not even approved in US.

Most people I know personally have actually gone ahead with whatever vaccine is available be it Sinovac or AZ given how dire the situation is in their country. Just like what @etudes mentioned earlier.

Frankly there still isn’t enough vaccines. Apart from those vaccines that are close to expiry etc in Africa where there also isn’t the right infrastructure to distribute vaccines, am not reading reports of vaccines going unused

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly there still isn’t enough vaccines. Apart from those vaccines that are close to expiry etc in Africa where there also isn’t the right infrastructure to distribute vaccines, am not reading reports of vaccines going unused

I agree with you. There are not enough vaccines for everyone all over the world yet. That is one huge problem. But not the only one. And we have to work on all aspects to get everyone who can get vaccinated vaccinated. And vaccine hesitancy is still a big problem.

"

How many Covid vaccines go to waste?​

According to the World Health Organization (WHO)(pdf), 50% of vaccines are wasted around the world. That number is highly variable across countries, healthcare settings, and types of vaccines. But since there is typically no shortage of vaccines, it’s often considered the cost of doing business.

Covid-19 vaccines are different. There isn’t enough supply to meet the demand, and countries are racing against time and variants.
In April, the French minister of health Olivier Veran (link in French) said that 25% of AstraZeneca, 20% of Moderna, and 7% of Pfizer vaccines currently go to waste in France. At that point, France had received about 5 million doses of AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine(French), which would mean that roughly 1.25 million doses were wasted.
Major wastage events often make the news, such as when Malawi burned about 20,000 doses of expired AstraZeneca vaccines even though the WHO said they could still be used. A Hong Kong official recently warned the government might have to throw away millions of unused Pfizer jabs because not enough people are taking them. And 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson vaccine were destroyed after a tragic mix-up in a production plant.

In the US, the wastage rate is low. According to the CDC, as of May 24, Covid-19 vaccine wastage nationally is approximately 0.44% of the more than 353 million doses that have been delivered to states—meaning roughly 1.55 million doses. That’s likely to be an underestimate, says Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health. Jha tells Quartz that he expects the true wastage rate to be closer to 1%, while Tinglong Dai, a professor of operations management and business analytics at the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, believes it could be as high as 5%.
What’s clear is that wastage is likely to go up over time, they say, as supply begins to outstrip demand in rich countries, while poor ones still struggle for access. Healthcare providers will be less careful with vials and people will stop showing up for extra doses at the end of the day. In the US, says Jha, “I absolutely expect wastage numbers to go up.”
"

Vaccine hesitancy still alive and strong all over the world.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results