shape
carat
color
clarity

8 star / HoF / AGS000 - Buing an engagment ring questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starbug

Rough_Rock
Apart from being excited about marrying the girl I love...I am also overly CONFUSED about purchasing a diamond...

This weekend we looked at a Hearts of Fire diamond;
J/SI1/2.026c - asking price USD 21,000 (it was a sqaure shaped HoF (which I believe is unusual).

The sparkle in this cut was truly amazing and the size was the right.

I've heard about - Heart of Fire, 8 stars and AGS000 diamonds but no real understanding of the differance or their unique characteristcs.

Bottom line;
A) Is the asking price justified for the stone above (and if NOT where would be a good place to find one (we live in San Francisco, CA)?

B) What can I expect to get for an approx USD 20,000 budget if I really liked the Hearts of Fire kinda-sparkle?

Any answers or hints are greatly appreciated.

buttercup

Rough_Rock
The square shaped HoF you saw was their 'Dream' cut. This is a similar type of cut as the Flanders cut.
If you really like this shape, don't go for the HoF. You can get a far better color and clarity diamond for $20K.
Two vendors that I know sell the Flanders cut (which is a hard to find cut) are Jonathan of www.goodoldgold.com
and Jan and Brad of diamondbrokersofffl.com. Jan/Brad don't have any Flanders on their website,
but Jonathan has a couple you can look at to get more familiar with the cut.
I know you are looking for a ~2ct stone, but just to illustrate what a rip off I think the HoF is look at this
1.02 E SI1 Flander that Jonathan had for $6900 http://www.goodoldgold.com/flanders_1_02ct_e_si1.htm
FLANDERS-FL102ESI1N.gif

compared to this Hearts on Fire Dream 1.001 E SI1 for over $13,000
1001Esi1.jpg

granted, the HoF does show 8 perfect hearts, but if you really want that you can get the Elara diamond which does the same.
I think it's more important that you find a stone that performs well and both Jonathan or Jan/Brad can help you find one.

If your main goal is sparkle, it's a good idea for you to spend some time to learn about cut.
The tutorial on pricescope and at http://www.goodoldgold.com/4csmain.htm are the places you should start.

If you want a round cut, here's a beautiful SuperbCert that's right in your size and price range
2.03 H VS1 $19,316
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1063/v.cgi?stock=464922&_s=1063&_p=htj8766&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=
another beauty:
2.02 E SI1 H&A $21,176
http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_01ct_e_si1_h&a.htm

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Starbug,

8*s are different than any of the others, so if you are interested in a round diamond, check out their website: www.eightstar.com

8* is the diamond that led to the creation of hearts and arrows diamonds in Japan (8* started in Japan), as companies attempted, but have not yet succeeded, to copy the 8*. 8* in America is a small, family-owned company where the diamonds are cut almost completely by hand and are a truly artisanal product. They are rare in that few are produced each year, unlike Hearts on Fire and many other brands of hearts and arrows diamonds that are factory produced mainly outside of the United States. You will pay more for an 8* than a hearts and arrows diamond, but generally less than for a Hearts on Fire diamond. HOF has prided itself in print on its marketing ability.

Educate yourself and try to see many types of diamonds in all kinds of lighting to decide what works for you.

There are 8* dealers in your area. When you go to the 8* site, click on the How To Order graphic, fill out the form, and you will receive an email from 8*'s president telling you where your nearest dealer is.

Good luck with your purchase. :)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Also, you can read an article by 8*'s president on the pricescope page, Revolution in Diamond Cutting. There you can learn about 8*'s participation in the development of a new cut grading system with AGS.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and I am giving you this information as a proud 8* owner and consumer and not as a representative of 8* or this site.

starbug

Rough_Rock
Thankyou all very much for the information you've provided. Next weekend we're going to go and see some 8 *'s at a location near SF. Will be very interesting to compare this to the HoF we just saw (and really liked).

The 'problem' is that my wife-to-be kinda has her eye on a square diamond shape but WITH the sparkle you get from HoF, etc - the only one we've heard of that compare the two is the drem cut HoF.

Btw - is HoF just a brand-version of a H&A diamond?:read:

buttercup

Rough_Rock
You absolutely MUST go look at the 8*. It's amazing. It's so gorgeous that it might just change her mind about the square.
Yes, Hearts on Fire is just another branded H&A, but their Dream diamond is a little different since it's square. The other branded H&A square diamond is the Elara (which I beleive is just a branded flanders).
I understand where you're coming from, the Dream is really gorgeous. But as far as the rounds go, the HoF doesn't really impress me any more than other super-ideal H&As.
The Eightstar, however, is in a class by itself. It's really a treat to look at :) But, they don't make a squarish shape. I don't know how to find an Elara dealer near you, and I don't even know what their pricing is like compared to the Dream, but it might be worth a look.

buttercup

Rough_Rock
I found one little piece of info that makes me think the Elara might be even more overpriced than the Dream.

here's a little pic of a flanders vs. the Dream. You might want to see if some local dealers can get a few flanders for you to look at.
dream_flanders.jpg

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you owe it to yourself to view the Eightstar and compare it to other fine diamonds. The only way you will know for sure what you like is to look and compare.

They are different, they are cut here in America, and they are in limited supply.

Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results