shape
carat
color
clarity

.75 to .26 to .12 for graduated bezel earrings - y/n?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
After all my push present dithering, I figured out something a lot better than bling to use the money for (giving it to a friend for something she needs - if I can just get her to take it!) ... and then on our anniversary, my husband very sweetly surprised me by saying that in addition to that, he really wanted me to have something sentimental to mark the occasion, too. And given that he's a practical man, he was aware that because of the blood thinners that I'm on for the baby, my newly pierced earring holes (from February) are still giving me trouble, and he suggested high-karat earrings for less time fussing, and something I could just leave in and feel pretty with.

Sooooooooo ... after some happy squeeing and searching, I settled on Brian Gavin Diamond's pre-set bezel studs for the multi-colored look I've always wanted - WG to YG to RG! I have to say, their pre-set studs are astonishingly reasonable compared to everything else that's out there. :bigsmile:

I already have my beloved IDJ studs in a 1.43 tcw for my first holes - roughly .72 each, with a mm. diameter of 5.9 naked, and 6.4 with the bezel. Lesley tells me that I'm looking at 3.3mm for the 0.12's and approx 4.1 mm for the 0.25's - so, assuming a similarly thin bezel, I'm guessing I'll have a graduation of 6.4 to 4.6 to 3.8 mm. How do y'all think that will look? Anybody who owns the baby bezels wanna chime in or link me? Anybody who's good at photoshop wanna do me a mock-up? Here's a pic of my usual earring line-up, with my studs and the teeny-tiny stars I usually wear ....

Left Ear.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
hmm, it is hard to tell without some sort of visual...but will that be enough of a graduation to really see all three pairs on the ear? you don't want to 'run out' of ear space?

anyway, sounds like a really nice push present :)

ETA I hope that didn't sound harsh...I have /no/ idea of how much 'ear space' there typically is (with rings it is usually easier to imagine proportions...) that is just something I would be concerned about. What size in mm are your other earrings?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, Slg, not at all! It's the same thing I'm worried about (well, "worried" - I'm sure it'll be cool either way, and if I wind up wearing the YG in the first hole, the RG in the second hole, and a pair of little teeny-tiny 2 mm ones in the third, that'll be a-ok, too). But, yeah, I basically don't want it to look like one GIGANTIC conjoined earring: I want it to be clear that they're three distinct pairs. I'm hoping my elephant ears work in my favor, for once!

The top star studs are 3.5 to 3.9, more or less (hard to measure a 5 pointed star! first measurement is tip to valley, second is tip to not-quite-perfectly-opposed tip). Second pair is 5.45 from tip-to-tip.

So ... a), wow, those are bigger than I thought they were, and, b) while I'm pretty sure the filled-in diameter of the bezels as opposed to the ... airier ... structure of the stars will fill in some visual real-estate, it shouldn't be too glaring - should it? Means I'll be going from a 3.75-ish star to a 3.8ish bezel, and from a 5.4-ish star to a 4.6-ish bezel. That sound feasible to y'all?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1320250320|3052575 said:
No, Slg, not at all! It's the same thing I'm worried about (well, "worried" - I'm sure it'll be cool either way, and if I wind up wearing the YG in the first hole, the RG in the second hole, and a pair of little teeny-tiny 2 mm ones in the third, that'll be a-ok, too). But, yeah, I basically don't want it to look like one GIGANTIC conjoined earring: I want it to be clear that they're three distinct pairs. I'm hoping my elephant ears work in my favor, for once!

The top star studs are 3.5 to 3.9, more or less (hard to measure a 5 pointed star! first measurement is tip to valley, second is tip to not-quite-perfectly-opposed tip). Second pair is 5.45 from tip-to-tip.

So ... a), wow, those are bigger than I thought they were, and, b) while I'm pretty sure the filled-in diameter of the bezels as opposed to the ... airier ... structure of the stars will fill in some visual real-estate, it shouldn't be too glaring - should it? Means I'll be going from a 3.75-ish star to a 3.8ish bezel, and from a 5.4-ish star to a 4.6-ish bezel. That sound feasible to y'all?

oh, now that you have the measurements of the stars, that sounds totally reasonable. it's just so hard to picture mm sizes on ears!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heh, no kidding - I envy all the small-lobed ladies on the board! Any other, er ... amply endowed ... ladies with multiple piercings want to weigh in?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Circe!

I am of the big huge earlobe club too! (not saying yours are, but that mine really are too big for my head, hence the reason i have so many piercings... To cover them up!) I just got my 1.3 ctw bezels from eBay, and I think they're a great size. I was thinking about a new pair for my second holes as well, since my .75's look too big to pair with them, and my .25's are a bit too small. I think the proportions you're looking at sounds just perfect! This is what I will be looking at as well, once I've saved the money to get a new second pair. I will try and post pictures to show what I mean, but ps doesn't like to let me attach photos.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
P1020647.jpg

P1020645.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, those are really gigantic (and awful), and I can't figure out how to make them any smaller. But, you get an idea anyway. First pic is .65, .35, and .125, and the second is .65, .125, and .07. I think I would like something right in the middle for my second holes.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Manderz, those pairings look awesome - thanks for posting! I actually really like both of your options, but that's the trick of it, isn't it? TO cover all the bases. I am SO PLEASED to be getting the color and size combo I want ... and immediately, a little voice in my head is like, "Well, and you already have an all-white suite ... and you can field an all-yellow suite ... so this is an excellent justification for hunting down some more rose-gold studs!"

IT NEVER ENDS, I TELL YOU. :oops:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Haha, I know what you mean! I've been thinking about changing to white gold, but then I already have so many things in yellow, and I just love how warm and pretty rose gold is. You're right, it never ends :lol:

I do wish I'd seen rose gold before I started buying jewelry. I think that my collection would be FAR different than what it is now.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Though I don't "officially" get them until a week or so from now, gods and medicine willing, I couldn't resist posting a sneak peek and a review: turns out to be the perfect graduation, at least for ears built like mine. So if you, too, have ever found yourself humming along to "When I See an Elephant Fly," note the proportions. :rodent:

In related news? BGD ROCKS. The service was exemplary, I got the earrings in record time, and they even sent me a little baby blankie. Awwwwwwww ... :D

Sneak Peek.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Circe - those are GORGEOUS! Wow, such amazing bling! Enjoy them (soon!) and wear them in good health. Congrats on your soon-to-be-motherhood!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1321480191|3063178 said:
Though I don't "officially" get them until a week or so from now, gods and medicine willing, I couldn't resist posting a sneak peek and a review: turns out to be the perfect graduation, at least for ears built like mine. So if you, too, have ever found yourself humming along to "When I See an Elephant Fly," note the proportions. :rodent:

In related news? BGD ROCKS. The service was exemplary, I got the earrings in record time, and they even sent me a little baby blankie. Awwwwwwww ... :D

oh these are just great! I love the graduation and they look just perfect on your ears :) enjoy your new earrings Circe!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results