shape
carat
color
clarity

.75 or .85 for size 5 finger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maia

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I''m new here and currently a ''lady in waiting''
1.gif
My bf and i are getting engaged later this year, but recently he has been asking me about carat size and other specifications. After much thought, i''ve settled on the classic round brilliant shape in a countour setting, but just can''t decide on the carat size so i need some suggestions. My ring size is 4.5 - 5 (with the 4.5 being a snug fit while the 5 is a little looser).

Anyhow i was wondering, is .75 ct a good size for my size finger, or should i go to .80 or .85? Is there any real difference in them?

Thanks in advance!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, and congrats!

There is a difference, not humongous. But, knowing how diamond shrinkage sets in, I''d get the biggest your budget will allow.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there''s not a huge difference in those at all, even side by side. really, once you get over about .5 everything kind of looks like a carat (in well cut stones). you get big, bigger and biggest.
2.gif

good luck on your search!
36.gif

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
When I was asking myself that question, I went to a store and saw the .75 ct, .85 ct, and 1.0 ct rocks in person. The .75 ct and 1.0 ct stones you can tell apart, but the salesperson had to hold the .85 ct diamond with a unique tweezers to keep it from geting mixed up with either the .75 ct or 1.0 ct stones. The .85 ct diamond was so similar to the .75 ct and 1.0 ct diamonds that you couldn't see the difference with your eye, you'd need a weighing scale or micrometer to tell them apart.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, it really depends on the person. I was at the local jewler recently and was able to tell the difference between a .80 and a .83. I kid you not...he tested me to make sure...haha. I would go for the largest stone you can afford, because this shrinkage concept is no joke. :) Any idea what his budget is, cause that will really be the determining factor...and how low you are willing to go in color and clarity.

Maia

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice so far...keep it coming...but what i really want to know is how it will look in relation to a finger my size, ie since i have a smaller finger and hand size can i go for the .75 or should i go for the .85?

From what most of you said there does not seem to be much of a difference...if anyone has the same ring size and can post pics that would be great!

Thanks again.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 10:45:55 AM
Author: Maia
Thanks for all the advice so far...keep it coming...but what i really want to know is how it will look in relation to a finger my size, ie since i have a smaller finger and hand size can i go for the .75 or should i go for the .85?

From what most of you said there does not seem to be much of a difference...if anyone has the same ring size and can post pics that would be great!

Thanks again.
you should go with what will make you happy. either way, make sure the stone is well cut. if you ''need'' to get the biggest size you can then do that. both are nice sizes and neither would look too small or too big.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Size is a personal preference thing. There are girls on here with your finger size (and smaller) that have 3+ carat diamonds. There are also girls with much larger fingers who have .5 carat stones. The .85 will not look too big on your finger. A 4.75 finger isn't that small...so don't worry about the .85 being too big. I'd go with the .85, myself. What size stones do your friends have?

Here's a thread with under 1 carat center stones, maybe it can give you an idea: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/

Remember that a lot of pics can make stones look bigger than they look in real life, too...

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 10:33:50 AM
Author: FacetFire
Honestly, it really depends on the person. I was at the local jewler recently and was able to tell the difference between a .80 and a .83. I kid you not...he tested me to make sure...haha.
Wow, to be able to notice a tenth of a millimeter difference!!! That's superhuman! I've got better than 20/20 vision and would need a micrometer to see the difference. I know my jeweler wouldn't be able to either. Especially once it's set... That's what micrometers were made for, and even then if you didn't use the micrometer right (didn't measure it exactly at a 90 degree angle) the measurement could easily be off by a tenth of a millimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results