shape
carat
color
clarity

.70 carat ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

I am a total newbie here, and I am also new to the world of diamonds.
My boyfriend asked if we could have a look at rings, so that he would have an idea about my tastes in rings.

We had a look online and at various independent jewellers within our town (didn''t venture into a mall).

At one of the independent jewellers, I found a lovely ring that fit his budget - which is $5000. We are still young, only 21...so he hasn''t been working long enough to drop and awful amount of money on a ring. I am just finishing up at University and am heading to teacher''s college in the fall.

Anyway, to get back to the point, the ring I found sparkled like nothing I have ever seen before..

I don''t have all the specs...but this is what the Jeweller wrote down for me on his card.

Carat: 0.70
Colour: G
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Very Good

It is certified by the GIA.

To me, it looks to be a beautiful stone. It is set in a simple, Tiffany-style 4-prong. It is in white-gold.

How does this sound to any of you more experienced diamond lovers?

Oh, as for $$$ - The jeweller gave us a price of $3900 (taxes included).

I had always wanted a larger stone...but this one just jumped out at me while we were looking.

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2007 2:24:22 PM
Author:bronniejade
Hi there,

My boyfriend asked if we could have a look at rings, so that he would have an idea about my tastes in rings.

We had a look online and at various independent jewellers within our town (didn't venture into a mall).

At one of the independent jewellers, I found a lovely ring that fit his budget - which is $5000. We are still young, only 21...so he hasn't been working long enough to drop and awful amount of money on a ring. I am just finishing up at University and am heading to teacher's college in the fall.

Anyway, to get back to the point, the ring I found sparkled like nothing I have ever seen before..

I don't have all the specs...but this is what the Jeweller wrote down for me on his card.

To me, it looks to be a beautiful stone. It is set in a simple, Tiffany-style 4-prong. It is in white-gold.

I had always wanted a larger stone...but this one just jumped out at me while we were looking.

Thanks!

Welcome!

We need more info such as the

depth
table
crown angle
pavillion angle
girdle thickness

to really be able to judge the cut, but the main thing is your own eyes tell you it is a beauty! If it is a recent GIA report then that info will be on it. It depends on whether you want to buy with your eyes only, or wait and research and go for a Superideal cut. Have you looked online? You can compare prices by using the search by cut tool at the top of the page.

The price seems about right for a jewellers I should imagine, here is an example of a similar diamond with a great cut that you could get online with a quick look.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2803/

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
I live in Canada...
So, if I convert the total cost of the diamond and setting, plus shipping and the Canadian taxes and duties, Whiteflash turns out to be more expensive...

It''s beautful though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

emsmile.gif

Perhaps I will keep looking.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Don''t settle on the first stone you love. There will always be another and there is always a deal. The more stones you look at the better you''ll end up with in the long run.

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your help.
We are going to keep looking around, online and at stores that are near enough to drive to.
If I have any other questions or concerns, I''ll be sure to post!

Thanks again.

emsmile.gif

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
I called and asked the Jeweller to give me the info. He said he would give me a call later on this evening and give it all to me, because he was busy with some customers at the time.

As soon as I know, I''ll post it.
In the meantime, I am going to continue reading up on diamonds (yay diamond education!) and looking at online vendors.

Thanks!!

emsmile.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
With such limited information there is not much to say. However, I prefer a GIA excellent cut or AGS ideal to a very good. I would never scrimp on the cut.

shiatsu

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 2:24:22 PM
Author:bronniejade
Hi there,

We had a look online and at various independent jewellers within our town (didn't venture into a mall).

At one of the independent jewellers, I found a lovely ring that fit his budget - which is $5000. We are still young, only 21...so he hasn't been working long enough to drop and awful amount of money on a ring. I am just finishing up at University and am heading to teacher's college in the fall.

I don't have all the specs...but this is what the Jeweller wrote down for me on his card.

Thanks!
Stick around for awhile, you'll learn how the cut could be better (which is generally what makes it sparkle) and how you could save yourself about a thousand dollars if you buy it online instead (if that route is for you.) You'll learn about AGS-000 grading, hearts and arrows optical patterning, eye-clean clarity, fluorescense, and different types of white gold and palladium.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results