shape
carat
color
clarity

7.8-8mm vs 8.5-9mm Freshadama studs from PP - lustre?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I currently have two pairs of 7.5-8mm PP Freshadama studs and 3 pairs of 8.5-9mm studs.

I got the first pair of 8.5-9mm studs a few months ago, they were too big for everyday wear so I got a smaller pair too. The difference in lustre is *startling* - the smaller pearls glisten and shine like little reflector-balls, the bigger ones, while by no means unattractive, look positively dull in comparison!

I got another smaller pair and two larger pairs (intended for gifts, but partly to see if I just got a bad set the first time round or something) - and, well, it's true across the board, the other smaller pearls are stunningly shiny and the larger freshadamas are - well, not.

Can the resident experts tell me if that's just the way it works - smaller pearls are more lustrous? Anyone else have two Freshadama pairs to compare?

After seeing what lustre *can* look like, I'm sending all the larger ones back - it's just not a fair comparison, and they'd never get any use :o

I only have freshadama metallics to compare but I believe it's about the same. My 39" 6.5-7mm are INSANE shiney. I also have two pairs of 7-7.5mm metallic studs that are very very nice. Now my studs that are 8mm with the matching 8.5-9mm pendant metallics are NOT as shiney but are still nicer than regular AAA pearls.

I believe I read on the other forum that the larger they get the less of a shine they have- but even at the larger size they have more shine than regular freshadama- though I also read that the AAA and regular non metallic freshadamas are comparable.

Yssie, I totally recommend calling in and ordering from the metallic pearls. They are only a bit more $ and come in crazy colors/ overtones/ orient.

Otherwise you could aways do the hanadama studs (akoya) but those will run 2-3x more.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1289461199|2761150 said:
I only have freshadama metallics to compare but I believe it's about the same. My 39" 6.5-7mm are INSANE shiney. I also have two pairs of 7-7.5mm metallic studs that are very very nice. Now my studs that are 8mm with the matching 8.5-9mm pendant metallics are NOT as shiney but are still nicer than regular AAA pearls.

I believe I read on the other forum that the larger they get the less of a shine they have- but even at the larger size they have more shine than regular freshadama- though I also read that the AAA and regular non metallic freshadamas are comparable.

Yssie, I totally recommend calling in and ordering from the metallic pearls. They are only a bit more $ and come in crazy colors/ overtones/ orient.

Otherwise you could aways do the hanadama studs (akoya) but those will run 2-3x more.

I agree with bean. I have 3 or 4 pairs of metallic FW studs from PP. The smallest one, silvery green, 7.5mm pair is like akoya. The larger size 8mm and 8.5mm are not as shiny but much better than AAA. In general I think the smaller sizes are more shiny. There is always an exception though. A year or two ago, I got a metallic FW pendant during TPO monthly special that is 10.14mm, silvery green, closely matched to PP's silvery green studs. It is insanely lustrous. It reminds me of icy, green pond.

Yssie, I would recommend requesting metallic freshdama from PP. You can request pictures of a few pairs. They are so affordable, it's wise to order a few pairs in different colors.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
HHPmom|1289527172|2762880 said:
bean|1289461199|2761150 said:

I agree with bean. I have 3 or 4 pairs of metallic FW studs from PP. The smallest one, silvery green, 7.5mm pair is like akoya. The larger size 8mm and 8.5mm are not as shiny but much better than AAA. In general I think the smaller sizes are more shiny. There is always an exception though. A year or two ago, I got a metallic FW pendant during TPO monthly special that is 10.14mm, silvery green, closely matched to PP's silvery green studs. It is insanely lustrous. It reminds me of icy, green pond.

Yssie, I would recommend requesting metallic freshdama from PP. You can request pictures of a few pairs. They are so affordable, it's wise to order a few pairs in different colors.

HHP :wavey: I believe we are entitled to pictures of those fabulous studs, young lady! :lol:

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
iLander|1289527542|2762892 said:
a

HHP :wavey: I believe we are entitled to pictures of those fabulous studs, young lady! :lol:

Snorted. I'll see if I can photograph them this weekend.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

I'll ask about the metallics. I really want "classic" studs (but I dont want to shell out for good akoyas) so we'll see what silvery/rosies they have tomorrow :))

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Here they are PP's metallic FW. The top coppery pink pair is 8.3x mm. The silvery green pair is 7.4x mm, almost 7.50mm. The silvery white pair actually glimmers with pink and green depending on lighting, measures 8.8x mm. The bottom left pinkish pair is from PP's 2008 exotic, private offer. TPO's pendant is 10.14mm. I removed its plain finding (similar to PP's classic pendant finding) and used a finding I bought elsewhere. All taken inside gold lip South Sea shell I got from PP's ruckus in July. Pictures are not edited, only resized.

IMG_4863-1.jpg

IMG_4864-1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HHP thanks so much for posting those pics!

I *really* want a pair like your silvery 8.8s - they look like they have so much character, and they're completely work-appropriate :sun:

I haven't had time to call PP yet - it's on my to-do list! Do you have other pictures of that pair that you could post? I'd love to see them!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1289733496|2765424 said:
I haven't had time to call PP yet - it's on my to-do list! Do you have other pictures of that pair that you could post? I'd love to see them!

It's the only picture I have. If you want classic white studs, then this pair fits that description, with a twist of pink or green glimmer. I read in another forum that someone just bought a strand of white metallic, no owner's picture yet, only PP's picture was posted. Check with PP if they have half drilled pairs for studs, or when the next shipment comes. Good luck!

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I found some older pictures. The pair picks up other colors next to them though.

IMG_4158-1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
The next few pix were taken today. This one with flash.

IMG_4868-1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
No flash. Pictures were adjusted to make the background white, but I can't get it to show stark white of wrapping paper. The pink and green are not that dark as shown in pictures. Sorry, I have a hard time photographing these.

IMG_4870-1.jpg

IMG_4871-1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
This is a better picture.

IMG_4162-1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you :))

They really do look perfect. I hope you don't mind if I send PP your pictures?

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1289785877|2766127 said:
Thank you :))

They really do look perfect. I hope you don't mind if I send PP your pictures?

YW. Sure, I don't mind.

HHP... I want those exact pearls... omg... I am so in love with the metallics!! :love: :love:

HHPmom|1289691004|2764941 said:
Here they are PP's metallic FW. The top coppery pink pair is 8.3x mm. The silvery green pair is 7.4x mm, almost 7.50mm. The silvery white pair actually glimmers with pink and green depending on lighting, measures 8.8x mm. The bottom left pinkish pair is from PP's 2008 exotic, private offer. TPO's pendant is 10.14mm. I removed its plain finding (similar to PP's classic pendant finding) and used a finding I bought elsewhere. All taken inside gold lip South Sea shell I got from PP's ruckus in July. Pictures are not edited, only resized.

These look exactly like mine do in terms of shininess. Shiny-ness... lol :devil:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just talked to PP and they are going to send me pictures!

I'm excited about this! :bigsmile: I did send some of your pics HHP.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1289944647|2768972 said:
Just talked to PP and they are going to send me pictures!

I'm excited about this! :bigsmile: I did send some of your pics HHP.

I am glad to be able to help you. Share us your pictures when you get them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got pics of 6 pairs, narrowed it down to these two, and picked the top (darker) one on Manut's rec :))

They're 8.5-9.0mm. Seriously can't wait to get these!

Exotics1.jpg

Exotics2.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Those will be stunning on you, Yssie. I hope you come back with ear shots.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely will! They're actually silver-pink apparently, though they look much greener in the pics..

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1290043153|2770754 said:
I definitely will! They're actually silver-pink apparently, though they look much greener in the pics..

You can't go wrong with either pair. The top pair has stronger pink and sharper luster. Great recommendation from Manut. She's very nice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're here!

And they're gorgeous :love: and really quite strange to look at! The luster on these lil' guys is astounding - I think the darker colour brings it out more.. The colour IRL - well, I really don't know how to describe it: they definitely have a greyish/silvery cast, but from all angles the pearls look pink with thin halos of green - on one the halo is more olive-y, on the other it's almost blue, and the overall effect from across the room is more *lavender* than anything else. They look completely different in different lights, too - indoors and in soft sunlight the green is more prominent, in direct sunlight they look thoroughly pink :sun:

A big thankyou to everyone who helped me in this thread! :bigsmile:

Background printer paper, camera encased in the same

F3 copy.jpg

F2 copy.jpg

F1 copy.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
few more.

Next on my to-do list is a smaller peachy/golden pair :))

F6 copy.jpg

F5 copy.jpg

F4 copy.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous earrings, I think the different overtones and colours make these freshwater pearls more interesting than traditional akoyas.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Lovinggems|1290303647|2774313 said:
Gorgeous earrings, I think the different overtones and colours make these freshwater pearls more interesting than traditional akoyas.

So true, compared to white akoyas. But blue akoyas are something else.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie,
They are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the photos in different lights.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the photos and the ear shot. These are gorgeous pearls. I'm still trying to imagine from the pearl close-ups how they will look on the ear, and your picture really helps. Enjoy wearing those new pretties. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results