shape
carat
color
clarity

$7,000 difference between two almost identical stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alamb

Rough_Rock
First Stone - $54,820
Second Stpme - $47,910

When I asked why the first stone was so much pricier than the second, the response was that they were from different suppliers and that I should probably take the first stone. I did the HCA on both and the first stone, of course, rated exactly where you want it (1.6 I think). The second stone was a 2.2. However, I''m curious how there could really be a $7,000 difference between two stones, both F color, both SI1 and only a .02 difference in carat weight. Comments anyone? I really like the first stone (on paper - due to the HCA) but could it really be that much better? Comments anyone?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why does a person shop the market? To best understand what the relative price of what they want must cost them. You have succeeded. Buy stone #2 and chalk it up to good shopping!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Are they both equally eye clean? The GIA cert for the second stone shows some spots under the table. Can you see them? Even if you could I guess you would have to decide if they bothered you 7K worth.

Otherwise I''d go with the cheaper one!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
The difference doesn''t seem to be big on paper. The first one is a little larger in diameter, but it should be discernable to your eyes. it has slightly better angels, but the other one isn''t blatently bad. You should ask for as much information on each that you can get, including pictures and opinions of the inclusions, idealscope pictures, etc. With stones this size and for this amount of $$, they should do this. I would ask to have them both sent to an appraiser so that you can view them in person and compare. Ask the appraiser not to tell you which is the more expensive, so that you really choose objectively. If there isn''t an appraiser near you that they will ship to, then I would try #2 first with the understanding that you can send it back for any reason within a limited amount of time. (10 - 30 days is normal).

Bottom line, for this amount of money, I would ask the vendor to go the extra mile to help you make the right decision. I''ve purchased form James Allen before, and Jim will typically provide you with what you need if you ask. In this case, he definitely should.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Lop-wow...I must admit, I really didn't notice the difference...and I have been on PS for a while now
41.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Allison. My biggest concern would be the inclusions in the second one. As Beacon pointed out, #2 has inclusions under the table, so they may be more visible. It''s tough to say though - I think you definitely need pictures.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Stones are cut by different cutters who have different percentages of mark-up probably based on how large of a company they are, where they might be located, who they sell to, etc. The pricing of diamonds does not seem to be consistent. Sometimes you just find a better deal.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
They are basically the same diameter (9.29 x 9.34 vs. 9.31 x 9.34), and you would not be able to visibly see a size difference. Only thing I can think is that GIA rounds their #s, so the 41 pav angle might not really be accurate, and as others have mentioned, 41 can be pushing it unless it is really tightly cut. Ask for IS pics, or could someone eyeball the stones side by side?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would prefer the 75 lgf over the 80 lgf but others would feel the opposite.... seems like the differences boil down to:

40.8 vs 41 pav angle
80 vs 75 lgf % and
location of inclusions

any chance you have an extra 100k laying around so you can look at them both? hehe ;-)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Differences in value, especially of this magnitude, most often can not be seen on paper but only in person. A side by side comparison may tell the story.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guess is one is eyeclean and the other isnt.
Thats usualy the case when you find a huge price difference between 2 si1''s in the same cut class.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results