shape
carat
color
clarity

6mo Cleanings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Forgive me if this is discussed anywhere else, I didn''t see any results in my search:

Many (or most) stores require a ring to be brought into their store for a checkup every 6 months. If you ever miss one of these appointments your lifetime warranty goes out the window. Some stores are a little flexible if you are a month or two late as long as you get the ring in there and they give the ring the O.K. for damages.

Realistically, I cannot see myself getting a ring to the store every 6 months! Maybe I can stay strong for a few years but eventually life just gets busy. Am I wrong? I know to most of you diamonds are your hobby so naturally you''ll be very anal about taking care of your interests (I baby my electronics like they are priceless and cringe when I see others toss them around!). So what do, for lack of a better word, "normal" people do about keeping their warranty? Do we just have to suck it up and never miss an appointment?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Normal people go to a local jeweler once, twice a year depending on the setting. They make sure the prongs are tight, no chips, cracks etc.

I know I''d never be able to stick to a schedule of every 6 months you must come in.

Most people here also have some type of insurance on their jewelry. Many add it to a homeowners or rental policy, others get a stand alone policy. It should cover, theft, loss or damage.

The rule is, if you can''t afford to replace it, have it inusred. It''s pretty inexpensive too.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of us don't bother with stores with such "warranties". Realistically they usually are not worth it-especially considering the significant markup you pay on the ring in the first place.

Most stores will clean and inspect your ring FOR FREE even if you didn't buy from them. And insurance covers most everything else-and a whole lot more (loss, theft, cracks, etc.) So when you think about it all the "warranty" really covers over that is rhodium dipping if you get a WG ring.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 11:53:45 AM
Author: neatfreak
Most stores will clean and inspect your ring FOR FREE even if you didn''t buy from them. And insurance covers most everything else-and a whole lot more (loss, theft, cracks, etc.) So when you think about it all the ''warranty'' really covers over that is rhodium dipping if you get a WG ring.

Makes sense, but hard to pass up that additional extended warranty for only $80 when the rhodium dipping is $60 (I''m getting a 14k WG ring)

Insurance is definitely something we will want do, but I''m a little naive on how I should go about it. We''ll be engaged this summer, still seniors in college. Rings are generally put under homeowner''s insurance from what I understand. College kids = no HO insurance. Even after we graduate we''ll be most likely getting an apartment. Is it normal to take out a whole insurance plan just for the ring?

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
If you think you'll take advantage of the dipping and can take the ring in every 6 months for warranty inspection, then I'd say the $80 would be worth it. I wouldn't do that if you don't think you'd be willing to take the ring in for the inspections as you'll likely lose your warranty 'benefits' in doing so.

I have a RHR purchased from a local B&M that has one of these warranties. To me it's really no big deal to stop by the mall and have it looked at. In the four years since I've had it, I've had it sized and dipped, both of which are covered. But like I said, if you don't want to have to take it over to be inspected then the $80 would be wasted.

As far as insurance, you can get a stand alone policy for your ring through either Jeweler's Mutual or Chubb. I don't have a link for Chubb (you may be able to find one somewhere on these boards) but here's a link to JM:

http://www.jewelersmutual.com

I do own a home and have HO insurance, but chose to insure my rings separately with JM instead.

cartisdm

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:13:34 PM
Author: girlie-girl
As far as insurance, you can get a stand alone policy for your ring through either Jeweler''s Mutual or Chubb. I don''t have a link for Chubb (you may be able to find one somewhere on these boards) but here''s a link to JM:

I do own a home and have HO insurance, but chose to insure my rings separately with JM instead.

I didn''t even know stand-alone insurance was an option, this is why I love PS! All these Jewelers I''ve spoken to and none mentioned insurance other than HO. As more of a broad question, how many of you have your jewelry insurance via HO or independently?

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
It''s not very realistic, especially as the years go by. And, a lot of times it can be hard to get these places to honor their warranties, especially as time goes by. Not always, it depends on the jeweler. But, I''ve had a lot of trouble in the past. Insurance, in my mind, is the best option!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 12:17:53 PM
Author: cartisdm
Date: 4/12/2009 12:13:34 PM

Author: girlie-girl

As far as insurance, you can get a stand alone policy for your ring through either Jeweler''s Mutual or Chubb. I don''t have a link for Chubb (you may be able to find one somewhere on these boards) but here''s a link to JM:

I didn''t even know stand-alone insurance was an option, this is why I love PS! All these Jewelers I''ve spoken to and none mentioned insurance other than HO. As more of a broad question, how many of you have your jewelry insurance via HO or independently?

I have it independently but just so you know most renters policies will also let you add a rider.

As for the warranty...of course get it if you want. But you should know that it most likely isn''t only $80. Often you will overpay for the setting and stone at these types of places making the warranty ultimately much more expensive.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring is inexpensive enough that putting it on our renters'' insurance makes sense. Are you living in the dorms at college or renting your own place? If you''re living in the dorms you may find that under certain conditions the items in your dorm room are covered on your parent''s home owners or renters insurance. That''s how my parent''s Travellers insurance worked while I was at college. If you rent and have renters insurance you can have it added to that.

I didn''t buy from a place that offered cleanings and lifetime warranty. We chose to buy the ring online, save money doing so, and insure the ring through our renters. This saved us money and is covered under more conditions.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of these warranties are offered through the mall or chain stores. It''s not that big of a deal to stop by every six months but most here do have their jewelry on separate riders for their homeowner policies or even on stand alone policies. These policies cover chipped and/or lost stones. I think the only time I would pay extra for it would be in the case of a white gold ring. Rhodium plating costs add up over time.

You could add the ring to your renter''s insurance or sometimes to your parents homeowner''s policies. Definitely worth the call to a few agents.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can easily clean a ring with a small ultrasonic much more often at home and keep the diamond sparkling. Especially if you buy insurance, then a store''s warranty offers not much of anything special. It serves to get you back in the door two times a year and that has value to the seller more than to the buyer.

You should learn how to spot a loose diamond and get it tightened whenever something goes wrong. It should not be frequent with a plain ring. With micro-pave or small baguettes in the shank, there may be more cause for frequent visits to the store to keep everything set in place.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I have Jewelers Mutual
35.gif
35.gif

amyjokerette

Shiny_Rock
I had an issue with a gemstone ring. and I did miss one of my 6 month appts in the middle... BUT since I had gone AFTER that and it has been less than 6 months since my last visit I was covered.

So, for me at least, as long as I had been in within 6 months before any problems occured I was all set.

Now I set a reminder in my cellphone to go every 5 months to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results