Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Clearly "these people" aren't members of PS. :lol:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am loving that Garry, especially this part: Also 87% think diamonds should be natural and 95% said Erings must be natural diamonds.

Wink

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize we're all equal now but perhaps a man or two still pays for the woman's diamond.

Might that explain the gender discrepancy of too big vs. just right? :Up_to_something:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most HK girls prefer high color/clarity diamonds over size.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire said:

Not me!! :lol: but then I am here on PS, and not going blindly to Chow Sang Sang etc to get ripped off. I have to admit that I have thought about buying a ring with a 0.2 ct center stone in one of the Japanese designs.

Edited to add: I will say that most of my girlfriends here fall into two camps. Either they don't wear any rings at all or only a band, or they wear a ering at least 1 carat and often 2 cts and up.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1449191384|3957156 said:
Chinese in general are considered to come from that place, as were the Japanese pre 1980's.
However:
Once the general public begin buying diamonds they see what they get for their Yen or whatever, and when shown the traditional D-E IF-VVS and comparing to twice the ct weight H SI - the market changes forever.
The initial catalyst is mainly 'running away diamonds' bought with bribe or cash money - because they are fungible and those who are buying them have no real diamond idea - but they know they can sell those diamonds easily and quickly if the government of the day decides they are enemies of the state.

The demand in China for engagement rings has changed dramatically over the past decade.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: I'm not in Hong Kong. I am close to Ohio, lol. My dad thinks my 1ct is TOO. BIG. He made some carping remark one time about "...Well, if you're going to go around wearing that BIG DIAMOND, then... " and I was, um, rendered completely speechless. :lol: :lol:
puzzle.jpg

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably because most men haven't seen one in person. I think perhaps after seeing a 1 carat some may not think it's quite that big.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I grew up in the typical NJ Italian circles, and the women thought anything under 1.5cts as a starter was too small (even the grandma's would say, "Whatsamatter, he can't afford to take care of you??? How's he going to take care of the children when they come along!"), while the men thought it was a "one up-manship" and whoever got closer to 2 carats did the best. Even back in the day and age my parents got married (1962) size was crucial, and my mother would not marry my dad without a full carat center (he doubled her total asking price by getting a 1.5ct center and two half-carat sides in a traditional Harry Winston style with tapered baguettes). My husband wanted to buy me a gorgeous radiant 2.16ct solitaire, but I wanted to save money at that time. (What the hell was I thinking!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results