shape
carat
color
clarity

60/60 with 2.3 HCA - any concern?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My cousin is going to propose to his high school sweet heart. The thing is he already bought the stone, should be shipping out anytime, so he has time for the 30 day return window. He has the GIA cert, the specs look good but i thought the crown is too shallow, thoughts?

Depth: 59.8%
table: 60%
Crown: 31.5%
Pavilion: 41.2%
lower half facet: 80%
slightly thick girdle

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES. TERRIBLE CHOICE. It's a pancake. And the pavilion is not a good one for performance, especially in a 60/60.

HCA alone is not enough (and this stone doesn't have that) you need the numbers in the right range for performance.

Crown: 33.5-35
Pavilion: 40.6-41
Table: 60 or less
Depth 59-62.3

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post up his budget and his preferred carat / clarity / colour range, and I'm sure that we can find you something much better! :)

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1478595418|4095078 said:
YES. TERRIBLE CHOICE. It's a pancake. And the pavilion is not a good one for performance, especially in a 60/60.

HCA alone is not enough (and this stone doesn't have that) you need the numbers in the right range for performance.

Crown: 33.5-35
Pavilion: 40.6-41
Table: 60 or less
Depth 59-62.3

Thanks Gypsy! I have heard difference in opinions on the 60/60 stones, some people really like it, but some think they are not as ideal. My first engagement ring is within the ideal range, yet it is rated only a VG per GIA, so who knows? That's why I am here to ask people who has the knowledge.

I am curious to know though, there's the ideal proportions for the ACA of the world (such as 62% depth/58% table, 34 to 35 crown), but is there ideal proportions for 60/60 stones? Such as criteria range for crown and pavilion angles for larger table stones that will provide a nice spread, but won't compromise on fire and color?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1478609090|4095124 said:
Post up his budget and his preferred carat / clarity / colour range, and I'm sure that we can find you something much better! :)

His range is around $7K to $7.5K for the stone, best value for the buck. He knows the basic 4Cs, so he bought one with most balanced color/clarity/triple EX. Gladly, he showed me the cert and I just thought the crown is a bit too low. The thing is he wants to keep as a complete secret, which is sweet, but not always the best thing if he is wrong about what his gf wants. So I am actually suggesting he can get a simple band for the proposal and shop with his gf later.

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ac117|1478630463|4095279 said:

That's awesome, thanks! That's right in the range where he is looking at, maybe not so much VVS in terms of clarity, but generally right on... I like the first few, great size. I will pass them along and see what he thinks. He might have to wait till his current order is cancelled and get the credit back.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SomethingNew|1478639494|4095374 said:
That's awesome, thanks! That's right in the range where he is looking at, maybe not so much VVS in terms of clarity, but generally right on... I like the first few, great size. I will pass them along and see what he thinks. He might have to wait till his current order is cancelled and get the credit back.

Don't forget that this board has lurkers - people who wait for good stones to be posted then snatch them up - so you/he can't hang around if something is posted that suits.

You/he need to be monitoring this thread regularly and be ready to pounce! :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Concern?
Yes.
2.3 is over 2.0.

Round is the most-abundant diamond shape, so I'd keep shopping.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results