shape
carat
color
clarity

60:60 Stone? Please advise?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tripleBBB

Rough_Rock
I am VERY close to purchasing the following stone:

1.20 ct
H
SI1 (Eye Clean)
Depth 60.6
Table 60
Crown Height 13%
Pav. Depth 43%
Girdle MED
Polish VG
Symmetry VG
6.88 - 6.84 X 4.15 mm.
$4452

HCA = 1.6

I know that normally a 60:60 stone would not be desirable, and that these proportions are not "Ideal", HOWEVER...this diamond looks fantastic!!! I am still however concerned with the numbers and that technically it is not "Ideal" but rather the dreaded 60:60. Any advice to a first time buyer who is getting tired of researching and shopping (3 solid months now!) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Numbers are a good indicator of ideal proportions but are not the end all...I saw your HCA score and was just wondering what the crown and pavillion angle of this stone were...

If you like the stone and it looks fantastic to you then I would say go ahead and buy it..Diamonds with larger tables are said to have more brilliance...
16.gif

Then again if you want a second opinion get your stone looked at by an independent appraiser...
9.gif

Whatever you decide it sounds like you found a stone that appeals to you and looks good to your eyes...With that in mind I would say go for it...
wacko.gif

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock
You may have found a great 60/60 diamond. What are all of the HCA results? Do you care less for fire?

Make sure that you are not paying for an ideal cut. The first diamond that I considered, which was a 60/60, cost more than the diamond I bought in the end (an ideal cut with 61 depth and 56 table, HCA 0.6).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like it could be promising. I would definitely get it independently appraised by someone with a Sarin so that you have the angles which are far more accurate than the %s. For the most part the HCA score of a stone with %'s is usu a little higher than with angles..so the 1.6 may be more like 2.0 or 2.5 with angles. But if your eyes love it, then this may be it!
1.gif
Just get the 2nd opinion to be sure all checks out.

Congrats!
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/3/2003 1:46:45 AM in_need_of_help wrote:

You may have found a great 60/60 diamond. What are all of the HCA results? Do you care less for fire?

Make sure that you are not paying for an ideal cut. The first diamond that I considered, which was a 60/60, cost more than the diamond I bought in the end (an ideal cut with 61 depth and 56 table, HCA 0.6).

----------------

Hi In Need of Help...

There are pro's and cons of having a larger table vs. a smaller table..In the diamond being described one of the important aspects contibuting to this diamonds performance is the crown and pav. combo...

Here is a thread for everyone to look at discussing Larger and smaller tables..Just thought it would be a good read especially since the author is considering a 60:60 stone..

wavey.gif
Just click on the link below:

Brilliance vs. Fire Larger Tables/Smaller Tables

in_need_of_help

Shiny_Rock

There are pro's and cons of having a larger table vs. a smaller table..In the diamond being described one of the important aspects contibuting to this diamonds performance is the crown and pav. combo...

Here is a thread for everyone to look at discussing Larger and smaller tables..Just thought it would be a good read especially since the author is considering a 60:60 stone..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Point taken.I wanted to make sure that he understood the tradeoffs (pros and cons) as well.Without the crown and pavilion angles and all of the HCA results who knows what is being sacrificed (e.g., more brilliance and less fire)?

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

It is clear that the author is considering a 60/60, as did I.The question remains: Why is he considering a 60/60?

tripleBBB

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

To be more specific regarding the stone:

1.20 ct
H
SI1 (completely Eye Clean)
$4452

Also, it has the infamous EGL Israel Cert
8.gif

The HCA is as follows:

Light Return VG
Fire EX
Scintilation EX
Spread VG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 12/3/2003 2:10:55 AM tripleBBB wrote:

Thanks everyone.

To be more specific regarding the stone:

1.20 ct
H
SI1 (completely Eye Clean)
$4452

Also, it has the infamous EGL Israel Cert
8.gif

The HCA is as follows:

Light Return VG
Fire EX
Scintilation EX
Spread VG
----------------

I personally think you should have the stone checked...

Do you know the crown and pavillion angles of your diamond...for example crown angle could be 34.5 and pav angle could be 40.8??

Are these angles listed on your cert or attached sarin data?

wavey.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/3/2003 1:28:41 AM tripleBBB wrote:

I am VERY close to purchasing the following stone:

1.20 ct
H
SI1 (Eye Clean)
Depth 60.6
Table 60
Crown Height 13%
Pav. Depth 43%
Girdle MED
Polish VG
Symmetry VG
6.88 - 6.84 X 4.15 mm.
$4452

I know that normally a 60:60 stone would not be desirable, and that these proportions are not 'Ideal', HOWEVER...this diamond looks fantastic----------------

BBB.....you've seen this stone and you said it looks fantastic to you. That's all that matters in terms of selecting a diamond.

See, the numbers are great and all, but here's the thing.

1) Not *everyone* can or will buy diamonds with absolutely technically perfect numbers.

2) Numbers are a fine guide, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. At the end of the day, you need to select a diamond that pleases your eye. It sounds like you've done that.

The only number that matters now is price relative to what you're getting. Have it independently appraised, and make sure the price you pay is in line with what the appraisal bears out for specs.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I disagree ,I think that stone that has the right diameter, with a 60-60 would look just as good, as a stone with a smaller table, in fact I remmember not too long ago were we used to think that those were the ideal make stones.
As these stones tend to give a bigger appearance in their diameter.See the diameter it's spreadier (yet not a fish eye)than most 1.20's.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
tripleBBB,

Just because a diamond is 60:60 doesn't mean that it is a bad cut. How a diamond performs is predicated on the relationship of the crown and pavillion. If the angles works out, you can still get an exceptional performer despite the 60:60 proportion.

Since you mentioned that the diamond looks "fantastic", I am assuming you have seen this diamond personally. If this is the case, I would not be concerned with the notion that this is not an "ideal" cut diamond. This diamond may very well have the appropriate angles for a 60:60 diamond - there are many who admire and think that 60:60 diamonds are more desireable. It is all personal preferences and if this diamond looks fantastic to you than that is all that matters.

Go for the gusto!!

rodent.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2003 9:11:24 AM diamondsman wrote:

I disagree ,I think that stone that has the right diameter, with a 60-60 would look just as good, as a stone with a smaller table, in fact I remmember not too long ago were we used to think that those were the ideal make stones.
As these stones tend to give a bigger appearance in their diameter.See the diameter it's spreadier (yet not a fish eye)than most 1.20's.----------------

What do you mean by "just as good"? A 60/60 stone will have a different look than a 60/53 stone. The light return on the 60/60 may be fantastic, but there will be more white light. I prefer fire over white light, so I would always go with a smaller table.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Whgat I meant was that if I put 2 stones next to each other, one is 60-60 ,the other 57-60 assuming that all the angles are within the right parameters in ratio to the stonesm you would'nt be able to tell me which is which with the naked eye.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/3/2003 12:17:58 PM Caratz wrote:

What do you mean by 'just as good'? A 60/60 stone will have a different look than a 60/53 stone. The light return on the 60/60 may be fantastic, but there will be more white light. I prefer fire over white light, so I would always go with a smaller table.
----------------

"Just as good" doesn't mean "the same". His point is that the stone may perform just as well (presumably in terms of light return)

Between fire and brilliance, one isn't better than the other. It's a matter of personal preference.

tripleBBB

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Well, I just purchased the stone
9.gif
for the above mentioned price of $4452.

I looked at several more "Ideal" stones all of which looked better on paper (tables of 55-58) and did not find any that let off as much "fire" and scintilation as the 60:60.

I am going to get it independantly appraised, however I feel confident in the purchase.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!! I am sure you made a great decision - it appears to be a great find.

rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results