shape
carat
color
clarity

"60/60" HCA score of 1 - advice needed!

LJI

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I have learned so much here and need your help. I found a diamond that I need your opinion on:
2.01 carat H-VS2
Table: 59
Depth: 60
Crown Angle: 34
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Crown Height: 13.5
Pavilion Depth: 43
facets: 50
lower pavilion: 80%
It scored 1 on the HCA with ex, ex, ex, ex. Could it be this great?
What do you think. I am so anxious because of the "old" standard and not the new. Do you think I will be disappointed? I would really like some advice!!!!! It is our 34 year and I have been saving a long time.
Thank you!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please may we ask what you mean by 'the old standard'?

The HCA tool is a rejection tool, not a selection tool, so anything with an HCA score under 2.0 is worth looking at, because the low score suggests the crown and pavilion angles work with each other.

Do you have the stone on hold? If so, please post a link to it or any pictures/videos/ASETscope images/IdealScope images you have :)

LJI

Rough_Rock

The HCA tool is a rejection tool, not a selection tool, so anything with an HCA score under 2.0 is worth looking at, because the low score suggests the crown and pavilion angles work with each other.

Do you have the stone on hold? If so, please post a link to it or any pictures/videos/ASETscope images/IdealScope images you have :)

I hope I said it ok. It just seems that the 60/60 stones are considered old fashioned while the smaller tables are preferred. I do not have an ideal scope.

LJI

Rough_Rock
I hope I said it ok. It just seems that the 60/60 stones are considered old fashioned while the smaller tables are preferred. I do not have an ideal scope.
Sorry for the multiple post, this is my first time. Without an Ideal Scope are there any opinions on the numbers? Thank you all.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
13.5% is a lower crown height than the 'super ideal' cuts so will reduce dispersion (coloured fire) and give more white light return, but (if I understand things correctly) 'more white light return than fire' is generally considered on here to be 'standard' for 60/60 stones.

Neither is necessarily better than the other because personal taste is just that - personal - but I think it would be beneficial if you can check out some stones locally with different angles and cut styles, to check whether you prefer the 60/60 look over angles that are nearer the 'super ideal' standard that PS generally recommends.

The 80% LGF should mean smaller flashes of light and a more 'splintery' look - again, not good and not bad, just a matter of personal taste.

May I ask where you've seen the diamond? If it is locally, what are the return policies? (And do you have them in writing?)

If it's a PS-recommended online vendor, you should have the option to buy the stone and check it out at home to see if you like it in all the lighting conditions it will be in day-to-day, and if not, you can return it for only the small cost of shipping and insurance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results