shape
carat
color
clarity

60/60 diamond

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Dear PSers

I hope you are all well. Not so easy times.

I am still doing research about my stone. Up until now I could not really figure out what the cut is - well, it is a brilliant cut with characteristics of an OEC, but not a transitional either. It is an "older" stone/ring, though. But from when - I don't know.

Since the table is 59.76% and the depth is 58.85%, I was wondering if it falls into the category of a 60/60 diamonds. So my question: do only stones with 60 table, 60 depth qualify as such, or also stones with specs close to that?

Further:
Crown angle: 29.1
Pavillon angle: 42.2
Star: 45%
PGF: 67.2%
Girdle: medium to thin, bruted

It's hard to take a good picture. IMG_9854.jpeg

Take care, everyone!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My engagement ring stone is similar. About 58% depth though I don’t know all of the specs because it wasn’t certed. The jeweler who set it called it an OEC on the paperwork for insurance but it’s definitely not an OEC. I went to SS in a trip once and Ari thought it was maybe 1910-1920. So early RB? Maybe transitional? It came from a man’s ring from my husband’s grandfather but we don’t know much more about its origins.

I hadn’t heard of 60/60 stones until very recently but I’ve also been wondering if that’s what it would be considered.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi!
It’s a very pretty stone.
Based on what I see it’s likely transitional. The lower girdle facets are quite short- so it’s kinda chunky:)
In a good way
But it looks nothing like a 60/60 of the ‘70-90’s.
As you delve into the older discussions you’ll see the term (here, and ONLY here) has been used as an insult at times.
The truly well cut stones of those days when I was learning had longer LGF’s.....creating a more splintery appearance.
Your stone look kewl! But not 60/60

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring stone is similar. About 58% depth though I don’t know all of the specs because it wasn’t certed. The jeweler who set it called it an OEC on the paperwork for insurance but it’s definitely not an OEC. I went to SS in a trip once and Ari thought it was maybe 1910-1920. So early RB? Maybe transitional? It came from a man’s ring from my husband’s grandfather but we don’t know much more about its origins.

I hadn’t heard of 60/60 stones until very recently but I’ve also been wondering if that’s what it would be considered.

So nice! Do you have a picture?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
It’s a very pretty stone.
Based on what I see it’s likely transitional. The lower girdle facets are quite short- so it’s kinda chunky:)
In a good way
But it looks nothing like a 60/60 of the ‘70-90’s.
As you delve into the older discussions you’ll see the term (here, and ONLY here) has been used as an insult at times.
The truly well cut stones of those days when I was learning had longer LGF’s.....creating a more splintery appearance.
Your stone look kewl! But not 60/60

Thank you, David! I do like the stone very much - probably BECAUSE it is different to what I see around nowadays. The cut grade is only "good", but to be honest I don't really care. I like it as it is. But it does remain a secret of when and why it was cut as it was cut.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, David! I do like the stone very much - probably BECAUSE it is different to what I see around nowadays. The cut grade is only "good", but to be honest I don't really care. I like it as it is. But it does remain a secret of when and why it was cut as it was cut.

I love this stone. It has character and I agree. It looks like a transitional cut. I love those. ❤️

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
So nice! Do you have a picture?

Here you go! It does have a large chip under one prong and we’re not sure when/where it got that (Seems unlikely it chipped while in its last setting either so maybe before it was set by my grandfather-in-law). Otherwise it’s actually very bright and fiery despite being a weirder cut and only graded as good as far as the jeweler was concerned (wasn’t worth sending to GIA really). It’s 1.67ct

I think your stone looks more transitional than mine actually.
643026B7-F6C8-4980-84A2-E40EE2C12427.jpeg

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Here you go! It does have a large chip under one prong and we’re not sure when/where it got that (Seems unlikely it chipped while in its last setting either so maybe before it was set by my grandfather-in-law). Otherwise it’s actually very bright and fiery despite being a weirder cut and only graded as good as far as the jeweler was concerned (wasn’t worth sending to GIA really). It’s 1.67ct

Very pretty! It does resemble an OEC to me.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! It does resemble an OEC to me.

Thanks! I have other OECs (two sets of studs) and my ring doesn't look quite the same as them, so it's definitely not a super traditional OEC faceting pattern (it's also very shallow and spready). And I had one jeweler tell me it was just an MRB and nothing special. So I call it a transitional.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The cut grade is only "good",
We’re at a point where the GIA cut grade is truly being “gamed”
There’s so many stones getting EX cut grade that are way too deep.
On the other end, many outrageously gorgeous stones get dinged down to VG or Good for technical reasons that really have little to do with beauty.
As a seller, who lives basically “inside the internet” I truly feel the implications in my bones.
Say a cutter approached me with a gorgeous stone like the OP’s. I know that I’ll have to spend a lot of effort explaining the cut grade. Even then, other sellers can dispute with GIA seemingly on their side.
Makes it less worth the time and effort.
Sad.
But then again, it gives me something to do:)

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm with David and Missy - I think it looks like a transitional - which I adore - and I think it's absolutely lovely. I would be all over this. :))

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
We’re at a point where the GIA cut grade is truly being “gamed”
There’s so many stones getting EX cut grade that are way too deep.
On the other end, many outrageously gorgeous stones get dinged down to VG or Good for technical reasons that really have little to do with beauty.
As a seller, who lives basically “inside the internet” I truly feel the implications in my bones.
Say a cutter approached me with a gorgeous stone like the OP’s. I know that I’ll have to spend a lot of effort explaining the cut grade. Even then, other sellers can dispute with GIA seemingly on their side.
Makes it less worth the time and effort.
Sad.
But then again, it gives me something to do:)

Thank you. I do like to know the specs out of interest, but when buying, I mainly go by my eyes and guts. And I'll keep doing it this way. The cut grading is a complicated one. What - at one point - was considered an excellent, beautiful cut, can be - at a later point - be considered totally different. Who knows how it will develop and how today's excellent cuts will be graded in the future? We just don't know.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock

Oh! What a gorgeous ring! I do like the look of the stone!

yhp73

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi,
I came across this thread while googling 60-60 diamonds and I’ve learned a lot here! We are currently looking at this stone and I would love to know if this is a decent 60-60. The specs are:

Table %: 60
Depth %: 60.1
Crown angle: 36 degrees
Pavilion angle: 40.8 degrees
More details in the diagram below.

Thank you!

2D33A206-DDCF-4126-AD73-477FD9753506.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results