shape
carat
color
clarity

6 prongs vs 4 prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sledger

Rough_Rock
What is everyone''s preference on 4 prongs vs 6? The setting is three stones and the center will be ~1.5 in a basket. I''ve looked at a couple 4 prongs and they make the diamond look like a princess cut but I''m afraid 6 prongs might be too much in a basket.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
in a 3 stone setting, i''d chose the 4 prong..

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 12:26:30 PM
Author: mrssalvo
in a 3 stone setting, i''d chose the 4 prong..

I agree. With a basket setting 4 prongs looks best.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
My sister had her setting redone for her 10th anniversary and it was a custom job at a local jeweler. She has a round diamond but I always thought that when it was redone they made it look very much like a princess. They added some platinum around the diamond in a design and used 4 prongs... sorry I can''t describe it better or provide a pic but it really does make the round diamond appear square. Is it common that 4 prongs makes a round look more princess or is that only in certain cases?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t answer your question, candlelite, but as for which prongs I prefer, I like the look of 4 prongs better.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 1:00:26 PM
Author: candlelite80
My sister had her setting redone for her 10th anniversary and it was a custom job at a local jeweler. She has a round diamond but I always thought that when it was redone they made it look very much like a princess. They added some platinum around the diamond in a design and used 4 prongs... sorry I can''t describe it better or provide a pic but it really does make the round diamond appear square. Is it common that 4 prongs makes a round look more princess or is that only in certain cases?

i''d guess it was the particular prongs on the setting you saw. most 3 stone''s I''ve seen with 4 prongs don''t make the center look square at all..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the look of 4 prongs for 3 stone rings. And yes it''s all about the way the prongs are done, IMHO. If done right they won''t make the stone look square.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s ltl''s Leon Mege ring...the stone''s look round to me...

ltl%2020.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 2:03:02 PM
here''s ltl''s Leon Mege ring...the stone''s look round to me...

ltl%2020.JPG
Sigh, sooooo pretty!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
Who''s ring is that mrsS??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, saw that, read too fast, hehe.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
mrssalvo, that example looks beautiful and certainly very round. I missed the part about it being a 3 stone ring, my sister''s ring is not 3 stone, it has a very antique/fancy setting with 4 prongs... the way the jeweler placed them just gives the diamond a very square look. She liked it at first but she now wishes her round stood out more. I just didn''t know if that was a common thing for round diamonds set with 4 prongs.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
candlelite, I really do think it just depends on the prongs and how they are designed. Michael B for example shapes his prongs in a way that do make the diamonds look more square IMO, but there are plenty of solitaire settings out there that will allow the diamonds to still look round. check out butterfly''s Ritani for example?

127_2702%20(2).JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2007 12:34:16 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 4/1/2007 12:26:30 PM
in a 3 stone setting, i'd chose the 4 prong..

I agree. With a basket setting 4 prongs looks best.
ditto.

In addition, with thin pave settings I like four prongs. With smooth plain tiffany style settings I like six prongs.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I like 6 prongs for security reasons (although I also prefer the look of 6 prongs visually) - my mom lost her center stone out of her 4 prong when I was young and I remember that quite vividly - even if I didn''t like 6 prongs visually it would probably still drive me to get a 6 prong (or a bezel!)

Sledger

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the great posts. Does anyone have a picture of a three stone setting with 6 prongs?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Aldejewey (sp?) has a 6 prong 3 stone ring. Infact, all three diamonds are 6 prongs! It was done by Whiteflash and is perfection
30.gif

Sledger

Rough_Rock
I tried to post a picture of the setting but I couldn''t get it to upload. If you do a search for "ladies scott kay platinum and pave diamond split shank 1.06ctw" on google is should be the first item that comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results