shape
carat
color
clarity

6-prong & size of diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steve913

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if there are some size of diamonds that are best with 6-prong and best with 4-prong. I personally thing a 6-prong looks better in general, but I'm going to be buying an engagement ring 0.75-1.0 cts. Any advice would be appreciated!Someone told me that for something less than 1.25cts a 4-prong is better because of the light going through the diamond.thank you!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No girl ever found a diamond too big after more than a week.
That is kind of like an oxymoron.
However the really polite girls often say "I could'nt have a really big diamond". If you have one make sure you keep the other guys away, they are rare and svae a lot of money thru the average lifetime.
wink.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Right Garry---and the women will be happy if they've found a guy who's hobbies are not more expensive than theirs!
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Agreed Garry
smile.gif
My Irina thinks dogs are the girls best friends (not diamonds)
tongue.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would think you could visit a store and see 4 and 6 prong rings with the approximate size of your diamond. The quality may be different, but you just want an example.Also, many stores will exchange the mounting if you decided to go the other way. Keep in mind they may charge for the labor portion, and you would have to decide within a week or two I'm sure.------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
On smaller stones, 6 prongs can be a bit much, but then again the 6 prongs have smaller prongs which can be less noticable when looking down at the diamond, whereas the 4 prong heads have much thicker prongs.Also, the 6 prong heads tend to make the diamond look more round.This comes down to preference, but if you lose a prong, you are at great risk of losing your diamond if it's sitting in a 4 prong. It has happened to people.

steve913

Rough_Rock
does anyone know a typical range of diamonds that are OK with a 6-prong? I was looking at a 0.8...I don't really like the 4-prong, but my girlfriend is sort of petite, so a big rock will look kind of awkward... or would it be??

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Too big? Hmm...I wear a size 4 and would love a 2 carat! LOL But that's just me. I have a 1.6 and it doesn't seem too big to me at all.Why not take a look at a couple of stones in a store and have the jeweler drop them into a 6 prong and a 4 prong so you can see what you prefer?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Steve913,6 prongs are more secure of course. As for light going through the diamond, if diamond is well-cut there will be no difference how much of the pavilion is open.Tiffany style with a very high 4 claw allows more light to get from the pavilion. Poorly cut diamonds that leak light will benefit from it.

benx

Rough_Rock
do tiffany make their classic knife edge design in a 4 prong? all the ones ive seen are 6.

ben

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/1/2002 9:02:07 AM

do tiffany make their classic knife edge design in a 4 prong? all the ones ive seen are 6.

ben
----------------

I don't think so. Not sure. I don't think you can buy a Tiffany setting without buying a diamond there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results